Altimeter settings: QNH versus QFE

Old June 4th 05, 03:52 AM
Tony Verhulst

01-- Zero One wrote:
'duodecimal system' -- We use that all the time in libraries in the USA.

Groan :-).

Tony V.
Old June 5th 05, 06:47 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Stefan wrote:

309 wrote:

All of the aruguing aside, can anybody out there tell me a little of
the history of QNH, QFE, and QNE (etc.), specifically, WHAT does the
"Q" stand for??? The "F"? The "N", the "H" or the "E"???

Nothing. It's just a code, the Q-code, to be precise :-) Maybe the Q has
a story, I don't know, but the latter two letters definitely do not.
Think of it as a numbered set of commonly used phrases.

A complete list of all Q-codes is at http://www.htc.ch/de/der_Q_code.htm
(German only).

Stefan

Don't forget the Z codes.

http://groups.msn.com/ctoseadogs/34z34signals.msnw

Frank
Old June 6th 05, 08:45 PM
Robin Birch

In message , F.L. Whiteley
writes
Stefan wrote:

309 wrote:

All of the aruguing aside, can anybody out there tell me a little of
the history of QNH, QFE, and QNE (etc.), specifically, WHAT does the
"Q" stand for??? The "F"? The "N", the "H" or the "E"???

Nothing. It's just a code, the Q-code, to be precise :-) Maybe the Q has
a story, I don't know, but the latter two letters definitely do not.
Think of it as a numbered set of commonly used phrases.

A complete list of all Q-codes is at http://www.htc.ch/de/der_Q_code.htm
(German only).

Stefan

Don't forget the Z codes.

http://groups.msn.com/ctoseadogs/34z34signals.msnw

Frank

They are all simple codes originally sent by morse. If you look at the
whole list there are loads of things to do with radio comms as well as
the various things to do with aerial navigation.

They are widely used in amateur radio as well as in flying.

Robin
--
Robin Birch
Old June 6th 05, 10:44 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Robin Birch wrote:

In message , F.L. Whiteley
writes
Stefan wrote:

309 wrote:

[...]

Quite right. One may send quite a complex message using a few Q & Z
signals, text, and numbers.

Frank
Old June 6th 05, 11:58 PM
Dave Martin

For a complete list of Q codes in English see

http://www.zerobeat.net/qrp/qsignals.html

At 22:00 06 June 2005, F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Robin Birch wrote:

In message , F.L. Whiteley
writes

Old June 7th 05, 08:06 AM
309

Thanks to all who've helped me understand the orign of the letters in
QNH, QFE, QNE, QUH, WTF...etc...

One of my aerospace co-workers (and a fellow Flight Test Engineer) was
musing aloud one day: "We all know what it MEANS, but what do the
letters STAND for??? Where did they come from?" As if QNH stood for
"Quintesstial Normalized Height," and QFE stood for "Quiet Field
Elevation," or ???

I tried to warn him that it was foolish to try and make sense out of
any three letters...take "FAA," for example... ;-)

Regards,

-Pete