Montblack @ OSH (1st Report)

Old August 9th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Montblack

Default Montblack @ OSH (1st Report)

2007 was a different Oshkosh experience for me, from previous years.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/landof10klakes/albums/
Look in album: OSHKOSH 2007 (1st report)

1. The Offer
One week before OSH, I was approached by Golden Wings Museum and asked if I
would drive out a trailer full of "stuff" for them - the enclosed trailer
being hooked to a motor home. Their regular guy, um, ...er, I don't know
what happened to their regular guy ...officer? g

I was going to attend AirVenture for a max of two days this year, on my
dime(s), but now had 10 days dropped in my lap (Fri-Sun), on someone else's
dime. Hmm...? What to do? What to do? What to do? Fud for the week in the
motor home was also included. My cost for the week - nil. Normal cost for a
week: $500 ($100 gas $150 camping $100 wrist band $100 fud $50 refreshments)
....Ok, I guess I'll do it.

Packing to depart, I insisted we bring the hangar scooter - a 1985(?) 50cc
Honda Aero. vBg!!

2. The Trip Out
It's (approx) 300 miles over to OSH from the Twin Cities. Due to ISSUES
with the motor home rental people, I didn't cross over the St Croix River
bridge (at Hudson, Wisconsin) until 6:30 pm, Friday evening. I reloaded my
trailer at mile marker 41's Wayside Rest near Menominee, Wis - too much
weight on the tail. Ahh, that's better. At 1am I pulled into the JC Penney
lot ...across the street from Hardee's ...by the N40, and spent the night -
motor home! g

3. The Set Up
Saturday morning I was escorted to AeroShell Square by a Warbird Jeep, owned
by a person in our (KANE) group. I was at OSH in support of "our" Ford Tri-
Motor (http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft.html), which Ford had
requested be brought over for the show. We were treated very well by the
Ford people. They found a place for me to park our trailer, behind their
"Employee Only" tent, which was a HUGE plus for me, since my job was to
resupply the AircraftOwner tent/booth periodically. Now it was a only short
walk to our handouts, rather than a long hike back to Warbirds Parking.
Whew!

Ford also got us an ALL ACCESS pass for "our" scooter. :-)))))

I parked the "Minnie" Winnebago in Warbirds - across the street from the
Civil Air Patrol gang. It's Saturday... "The Simpson's have entered the
Forrest!"

Later that first afternoon I help out with the (2) Stinson Tri-Motors (also
flown over from Golden Wings Museum). They tied down on the flight line all
week. After all Tri-Motors are secured I take the scooter for some
sightseeing. Oshkosh on Saturday is a different animal than Oshkosh the rest
of the week.

4. Federal Pavilion ...Building
The 1928 Fairchild FC-2W2 (painted up in National Park Service colors) was
also brought over, to OSH, from Golden Wings Museum. The Fairchild, before
going to the National Park Service in 1936, was NASA's first airplane! In
those days NASA was known as the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics
(NACA).

Paul-Mont

Old August 9th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

The 1928 Fairchild FC-2W2 (painted up in National Park Service colors) was
also brought over, to OSH, from Golden Wings Museum. The Fairchild, before
going to the National Park Service in 1936, was NASA's first airplane! In
those days NASA was known as the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics
(NACA).

You stop *here*? In mid-story? What, did the pizza guy just
arrive?

Where is "The Rest of the Story"? Heck, you didn't even make it to
the start of the show yet!

I hope "First Report" mean "Part I"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ping: Montblack john smith[_2_] Piloting 2 April 16th 07 01:16 PM
One for Montblack john smith Piloting 7 December 22nd 06 04:06 PM
Ping Montblack Jim Burns Piloting 1 October 30th 06 07:56 PM
For Jay Honeck and Montblack Flyingmonk Piloting 1 July 4th 06 03:54 AM
For our RAP movie bluff Montblack Flyingmonk Piloting 1 April 28th 06 02:28 AM