Al-Qaida targeted Western forests, memo says

Old July 16th 03, 06:38 PM
David Brooks

It was just a joke, folks. You chose the right moment to talk about gasoline
fires and Seattle (or the wrong moment, if you were on I-5 at the time).

BTW, our dry/hot season started a month early this year. Usually the rain
stops, on schedule, on July 5 (or the 7th if 7/4 falls on a Friday). I moved
house on the hottest day of the year last week: 95 degrees isn't much for
many of you, but it's plenty for those of us accustomed to a British/PNW
climate. It did rain briefly Saturday evening though.

-- David Brooks

"Newps" wrote in message
It didn't burn anything except the gas in the tank. I rest my case.

David Brooks wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
et...

Oh, please, you couldn't start a fire near Seattle if you had a match
and some gasoline.

Wrong. You don't need the match.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...anker12ww.html

-- David Brooks

Old July 16th 03, 08:31 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:24:18 GMT, Bob Noel
wrote in Message-Id:
:

In article , "Ron
Natalie" wrote:

"I thought about it a lot after 9/11," said Don Riddle, the law
enforcement officer for the Manti-LaSal National Forest in Utah. "How
hard would it be for someone to get in a small plane and fly over a
forest dropping fusees (flares) or firing off a flare gun as they flew
over?"

About as easy as it would be to drive through throwing them out the
window.

but guess which threat will receive the most press. :-(

(actually, a drive-through would be easier).

Here's a little incident that should interest US airmen of Arab
descent:

http://tinylink.com/?82VaTW15ZV
FBI Apologizes For Detaining Indiana Muslims
Eight Men Detained After Sept. 11, 2001
The Indy Channel - April 24, 2003

EVANSVILLE, Ind. -- The head of the FBI in Indiana publicly
apologized for the detention of eight Egyptian men from
Evansville, who were held as part of a terrorism investigation
just weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Saying the secretive detentions came at a time of unprecedented
fear in the nation, FBI Special Agent Thomas V. Fuentes
acknowledged Wednesday that the detention caused the men and their
families distress and humiliation long after the government
cleared them of suspicion.

"The situation that happened to you was horrible," Fuentes told
former detainee Tarek Albasti during a meeting at the Islamic
Center of Evansville. "On behalf of the FBI, I will apologize."

Fuentes, in front of a crowd of about 100 local Muslims, also said
he would push through paperwork that would formally clear Albasti,
an Evansville restaurant owner, and the seven other men detained
for a week with him by federal terrorism investigators in October
2001. Details

Tonight's TV news report indicated, that Tarek Albasti (a naturalized
American of Arab descent, apparently married to a non Arab, and
raising a family) received flying lessons as a gift from his
father-in-law, a pilot. He was held by the government without benefit
of council nor being charged with a crime for days (as a material
witness). Being of Arab descent and taking flight instruction was all
the FBI needed to violate the former Constitutional rights of this
American airman.

We Airmen are now targets for arrest as a result of the 9/11/2001 acts
of 19 terrorists. Given the gestapo mentality unleashed by baby Bush,
it has me wondering who will be next?

Old July 16th 03, 09:48 PM
H. Adam Stevens

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:24:18 GMT, Bob Noel
wrote in Message-Id:
:

In article , "Ron
Natalie" wrote:

[...]

What is astounding was the blatant presence in the mid 90's of so many
overtly militant Arabs at flight schools here in central Texas.
We used to joke we were training our own hijackers; Nobody noticed.
I take that back. In Arizona I think it was, one FBI type noticed and was
ignored.
The feds did not recently get smarter, either.
H.
N502TB