My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize General Aviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

Old October 14th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize General Aviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

Of course, those who still live out in the sticks will need some other
way to get around. This will be the rail lines, just like in the old
days, or they will fly, as God intended. New airports will spring up
like flowers after a rain. Flight instructors will be busy. The little
planes will no longer bother anybody because everyone will realize they
are necessary. Aircraft manufacturers will finally have the incentive
to innovate and produce airplanes in reasonable numbers.

If by little planes you mean 4 seaters and such, then I doubt that
they will ever become reliable means of private transport like the
car. Even with an instrument rating it would require a high level of
skill, confidence and time commitment on part of the pilot to use a
little airplane regularly for commuting. Besides, no matter how many
airports spring up, there still remains the problem of getting from
the airport to the work place and back.
If more and more employers and employees work together to find ways to
work remotely from home, it would reduce automobile usage to an
extent.

Old October 14th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 06:39:27 -0000, wrote:

[...]

what a lonely life that is.
working from home. horrors, perish the thought.
no cultural stimulation.
bugger all new technology.
everything you work with you have to pay for by yourself.

stupid idea.
long live the modern office.

Stealth Pilot
Old October 14th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

what a lonely life that is.
working from home. horrors, perish the thought.
no cultural stimulation.
bugger all new technology.
everything you work with you have to pay for by yourself.

stupid idea.
long live the modern office.

My wife telecommutes to a job in Wisconsin. She now does it from the
hotel, but for years she did it from home.

With little kids, it was great. Like being a stay-at-home mom, with
income. Going to work meant putting slippers on, and sitting down at
the PC.

Later, when the kids were in school, you're right -- she was socially
isolated, and lonely. She is now much happier telecommuting from the
hotel, where there is obviously ample opportunity for social
interaction.

Telecommuting is great in many ways, but awful in others.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Stealth Pilot wrote:
what a lonely life that is.
working from home. horrors, perish the thought.
no cultural stimulation.

I work from home and go hang out with the glider club on the weekends,
does great for the cultural stimulation business.

bugger all new technology.
everything you work with you have to pay for by yourself.

Funny, my employers still buy most of my equipment even though they never
see me, or it.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old October 14th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

wrote:
[...]

This is a good reason for flex schedules I work a 9/5/4/ (9 hours, 5
days one week, 4 the next). If everyone did that it would reduce travel
10%. Some folks work 10/4/4 which is a really long day, but if you
commute 4 hours a day (not unrealistic in this area) you save a lot of
real time and traffic is reduced 20%.

Margy
Old October 15th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt

stupid idea.
long live the modern office.

It depends. It would be a stupid idea if it leads to lesser
productivity but lesser productivity rarely goes unnoticed. If your
job is such that you can work from home without sacrificing on
productivity, then getting caught in rush hour traffic while
unnecessarily commuting to work would be a stupid idea instead. There
would be plenty of cases where a worker would be more productive while
working from home.

Old October 15th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Do you get the mandatory overtime pay (5 hours) for the first week where
you work 45 hours in that work week or are you on salary? My boss would
never let us (non-exempt) folks work that schedule...wish we had a 2-20
schedule (2 days a week, 20 hours each...work 20 straight, 8 off and
then another straight 20)...would be great to have 5 day weekends

Scott

Margy Natalie wrote:
wrote:

[...]

http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)
Old October 15th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Overtime? What a bizarre concept :-0, No we don't get overtime for
anything. If we work extra hours we can get comp time, if we get it
approved first. We can't work more than 10 per day (no 20/2), but the
9/5/4 works out ok, until you end up just going in for 2 or 3 hours on
Sunday and spending 6 (lawn is not mowed, leaves are not up, laundry is
not done, oh well, another weekend shot to hell, but I did get a few
minutes stick time in an L-39 JET this weekend!!!)

Margy

Old October 15th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Oh...I forgot to ask if you were self employed. That would explain no
overtime pay since it is only required for employment covered in the
fair labor standards act...
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

Scott

Old October 15th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mark Hickey

Scott wrote:

Oh...I forgot to ask if you were self employed. That would explain no
overtime pay since it is only required for employment covered in the
fair labor standards act...
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

Doesn't apply to the huge number of salaried employees. Either that,
or my ex-employee owes me a few million dollars.

Mark "don't I wish..." Hickey

Scott