Cordele Club Class Contest

Old March 16th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cordele Club Class Contest

I have emailed and called the Contest Manager for the upcoming club
class contest in may. I am wondering i it is a bad phone number or
email to Hartley. Maybe he is on vacation. Does anyone have a better
way to contact the CM or anyone else in charge of the race?

Thanks in advance
Scott
Old March 16th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 15, 9:27*pm, wrote:
I have emailed and called the Contest Manager for the upcoming club
class contest in may. *I am wondering i it is a bad phone number or
email to Hartley. *Maybe he is on vacation. *Does anyone have a better
way to contact the CM or anyone else in charge of the race?

Thanks in advance
Scott

Hartley has been at the Senior Nationals. Since he's away while the
preferential date has come along he's going to use the
postmark dates on the paperwork. I expect he'll be back home
shortly and will plow through all his received mail this week.

Do you have some specific question? I think that the CD
and weatherman were also at the Srs (CD came in 3rd place
as a matter of fact).
Old March 16th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 15, 8:49*pm, wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:27*pm, wrote:

I have emailed and called the Contest Manager for the upcoming club
class contest in may. *I am wondering i it is a bad phone number or
email to Hartley. *Maybe he is on vacation. *Does anyone have a better
way to contact the CM or anyone else in charge of the race?

Thanks in advance
Scott

Hartley has been at the Senior Nationals. *Since he's away while the
preferential date has come along he's going to use the
postmark dates on the paperwork. *I expect he'll be back home
shortly and will plow through all his received mail this week.

Do you have some specific question? *I think that the CD
and weatherman were also at the Srs (CD came in 3rd place
as a matter of fact).

I had a list of questions to see if I would even qualify since it's my
first contest ever. I didn't want to just send money away in the mail
without knowing if I would be able to participate. Yeah, looks like
last "friday the 13th" deadline did pass. Guess I missed it, maybe
there will still be a slot left.

I don't have an ELT for my glider will that matter for club class?
I don't have any points go for the pilot rankings...will that matter?
What is the 50 dollar remote charge...will that apply to me?
Will soar pilot be acceptable for this concept as an approved logger?
(it's not approved for badges and records however)
Is a parachute mandatory and if so....is there specifics on what kind
of chute?

Old March 16th 09, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Mar 15, 7:58*pm, wrote:

I had a list of questions to see if I would even qualify since it's my
first contest ever. *I didn't want to just send money away in the mail
without knowing if I would be able to participate. *Yeah, looks like
last "friday the 13th" deadline did pass. *Guess I missed it, maybe
there will still be a slot left.

I don't have an ELT for my glider will that matter for club class?
I don't have any points go for the pilot rankings...will that matter?
What is the 50 dollar remote charge...will that apply to me?
Will soar pilot be acceptable for this concept as an approved logger?
(it's not approved for badges and records however)
Is a parachute mandatory and if so....is there specifics on what kind
of chute?

Scott -

DISCLAIMER: I'm about to go to my first contest, too (Region 12 in
late April) - so I am not answering with any more experience than you;
but I _have_ been studying up on this stuff lately...

First, read the Regional Sports Class rules on the SSA website. The
2009 edition just came out, and is he
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2009...ss%20Rules.pdf

I haven't fully read them myself yet, but in 2008 Sports Class was
very permissive and let you use any logger that can output to IGC
format (even if its not badge-legal).

I won't even attempt to answer the safety-equipment questions; but I
will say that I always fly with a good 'chute, and I don't have an ELT
(and don't believe that it is a requirement - but I don't make the
rules).

The only other big question is whether you have your Silver Badge.

Points/pilot rankings are used to preferrentially give entry to
experienced folks over first-timers; but as I understand it, that only
matters if the contest is going to be "full". Look online at the
entry list and see if it looks crowded:
http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...=365&list=show

Take care,

--Noel

Old March 16th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

2009 edition just came out, and is hehttp://www.ssa.org/files/member/2009...-Class%20Rules...

I haven't fully read them myself yet, but in 2008 Sports Class was
very permissive and let you use any logger that can output to IGC
format (even if its not badge-legal).

I won't even attempt to answer the safety-equipment questions; but I
will say that I always fly with a good 'chute, and I don't have an ELT
(and don't believe that it is a requirement - but I don't make the
rules).

The only other big question is whether you have your Silver Badge.

Points/pilot rankings are used to preferrentially give entry to
experienced folks over first-timers; but as I understand it, that only
matters if the contest is going to be "full". Look online at the
entry list and see if it looks crowded:http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...sdetail.asp?id...

Take care,

--Noel

That's a good start. I flew in my first contest just a couple of
years ago. So...

First of all, Noel is right that you should read the rules first.
Chutes are REQUIRED
because of the heightened risk of mid-air collisions (there was one at
the 15M
nationals last year). For sports/club class you can use a PDA as long
as you're
not trying to qualify for the National team (not an issue for you at
this point I would
think). The other issues are contest by contest questions. ELTs are
only required
if the contest management thinks they should be, so generally that
just happens
at the mountain contests (R5S, Parowan, etc). Cordele doesn't require
one. The
remote charge is in effect because the sponsoring glider operation
doesn't normally
fly from this airport, so there's a payment made to the airport.

Since you've missed the deadline for R5C, you might consider R5E at
Bermuda High.
There's fewer people flying there (smaller gaggles) and everyone is
flying dry (even in "big boy" classes).
The reverse seeding procedure will apply there too. I'm not sure if
R5C is going to
use the reverse seeding (which is an issue, because the contest is
oversubscribed).
There's a lot to be said for flying at a smaller contest first -- the
very first gaggle I
joined on my very first contest day wound up with about 40 gliders in
it.
Old March 16th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article
,
wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:49*pm, wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:27*pm, wrote:

[...]

Hi Scott,

Welcome to racing! You have gotten good advice from the others. I want
to second what Matt said: Come to the Region V "East" contest (even if
you do get in at Cordele). Jayne puts on a great contest and Bermuda
High is a great field to fly from. The soaring conditions are usually
excellent in June and the terrain is friendly with lots of big flat
fields.

WB
Old March 16th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

While I usually like to encourage everybody, the sense I get is that
the region V sports at Cordele will not be an ideal "first contest."
First of all, there will be 50 or so 15 meter gliders in the way,
loaded to the gills with water ballast. Then, this is an experiment in
national-style "club class" racing. For example, the waiver allows for
the assigned task, and I'm sure it will be called. Rather than set a
time limit (usually 2 1/2-3 hours for sports regionals) and people can
go as far as then can but then come home, now you've got to do the
whole course, set for nationals level racers. If you can't keep up,
you land out. Again. With probably 65 gliders staging, taking off,
relighting, and landing at once, everyone will be expected to know the
rules and procedures. Everyone will be friendly and welcoming as in
all glider contests, but essentially stepping in to a nationals might
be a little daunting for a first timer.

John Cochrane BB
Old March 16th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Micki

Hi Noel!
You might remember me, we talked at the last convention. The reason I
am replying, is that I have run a few contests, and my husband Charlie-
Lite has run QUITE a few contests. I noticed a couple of things in
the above postings I wanted to clear up!

Every Regional is required to have a minimum of 5 inverse seeded
positions available at each contest. This guarantees that newbies
such as yourself have a chance at getting into contests as a first-
timer. Usually at my parowan contests, I have those 5 signed up for
at least 6-8 months before the contest begins. However, I make sure
that when a newbie signs up for a contest, I contact a practiced
competition pilot in their own club or area to "mentor" them to get
their bronze (minimum) and silver distance badges, and to talk to them
about what it takes to fly in the upcoming contest.

I would NEVER let or recommend a newbie fly at a National contest for
their first contest. The newest trend in regional contest management,
is to ALSO assign a mentor during the contest for every newbie.

Also, this year, I am opening up a NEW contest site with a regional
during the second week of august, that will have a plenty of room, and
is closer to you than Region 5! Look at Region 9 North in Logan.
Parowan is a popular soaring contest site, and is ALWAYS over-
subscribed, that's why I wanted to have another contest site in Utah.
Logan is only 274 miles north of Parowan, and has a nice LARGE
airport, and plenty of facilities and amenities. (sales pitch over!)

This is another HUGE recommendation for your first contest. Make SURE
you bring a "crew" person. You will be so busy planning, learning
strategy, plotting on your PDA, talking with other pilots and
learning, that you will need the help on the line getting ready for
launch, and having a dedicated person to come get you for land-outs.
As a newbie, you need to EXPECT to have land-outs. If you make a
"deal" for other pilots to come get you, you will be sitting on your
tail for a long-long-long time waiting for rescue. A newbie, always
lands out earlier than most experienced pilots, and you would have to
wait for them to land, and then find your trailer, and then head out,
after they check everyone else's scores, after they have a refreshing
drink, after they check with the retrieve office, after they figure
out where you are, and I could go on...but I think you get the idea.

Each contest is required to state whether or not they require ELT's.
I have not been requiring them at Parowan, because most of my pilots
are using the SPOT's which are less expensive, and been working quite
well. I had a pilot land out last year, and didn't have cell phone
reception in that area, and we were able to get an idea of where he
was because of SPOT. I recommend that you look into this, it isn't
perfect, but it is a lot less expensive and fun for your crew, and
easy for the contest management, if you are over-due with no contact.

Just my thoughts
Micki Minner
Old March 16th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Micki -

I definitely remember you, was great to meet!

And thanks for all the tips; but its Scott that needs them (started
this whole conversation). I'm up in Seattle and someday I hope to get
out that direction; but for the next year or two I'll be sticking to
contests in Region 12, Region 11, and Region 8 I think! :-)

Take care,

--Noel

Old March 17th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 16, 7:11*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
Micki -

I definitely remember you, was great to meet!

And thanks for all the tips; but its Scott that needs them (started
this whole conversation). *I'm up in Seattle and someday I hope to get
out that direction; but for the next year or two I'll be sticking to
contests in Region 12, Region 11, and Region 8 I think! *:-)

Take care,

--Noel

I guess that's a good question -- where do you live, Scott? It's too
late,
but I'd heartily recommend Perry, too. I've flown my contests there,
and
while it's always booked to the hilt, there's a good mix of beginners
and
really great pilots. Last year the guys on the National team (9 of
them)
were all mentors to the newbies, plus Hank Nixon gave a nice talk on
how to fly contests for everyone one evening. Plus, the flying was
great -- big field, lots of nice fields around, great food, and
everybody
stays on the field for the week.