Hercules Engines

Old January 17th 04, 06:10 PM
Rick

Tarver Engineering wrote:

Yes, Ricky, the Miller archive troll is a sub-idiot detector.

A very effective one at that, you were the first to respond
to the post.

Rick

Old January 17th 04, 06:14 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tarver Engineering wrote:

Yes, Ricky, the Miller archive troll is a sub-idiot detector.

A very effective one at that, you were the first to respond
to the post.

I gave fair warning as to the nature of the quagmire Miller's sub-idiots
were marching into. I can't help it that you ran off a cliff, Rick.

Buy youself a vowel.

Old January 17th 04, 07:04 PM
Jim Knoyle

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Jim Knoyle" wrote in message

Hey, Splaps. Next time you are ever near a DADC or it's diagram,
check out what they have at the other end of the tubing connected
to the fitting labeled *TOTAL*. Only ONE pitot tube!

Yep, the term Total means they added two sensors.

Nope, the pitot tube detects static pressure + impact pressure.
Read the book(s).

[ snip of nonsense ]

So, Jimmy, when I call your work an idiot detector, I really mean it.

As others have noticed, it never fails to attract you. :-)

Your's is a much nicer archive troll, as Miller is completely clueless

about
the subject.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.
For anyone who missed it:
http://home.att.net/~j.knoyle/the_ta...hronicles.html

Jimmy

Old January 17th 04, 07:24 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Jim Knoyle" wrote in message

Hey, Splaps. Next time you are ever near a DADC or it's diagram,
check out what they have at the other end of the tubing connected
to the fitting labeled *TOTAL*. Only ONE pitot tube!

Yep, the term Total means they added two sensors.

Nope, the pitot tube detects static pressure + impact pressure.
Read the book(s).

I have been writing that to you for years, Knoyle. That is why you seem
such an idiot when you insist a pitot port is a pitot tube.

Total means there is more than one sensor, nothing more.

Old January 17th 04, 07:32 PM
B2431

From: Jim Yanik
Date: 1/17/2004 10:17 AM Central Standard Time
(B2431) wrote in
:

From: Jim Yanik

Date: 1/16/2004 6:53 PM Central Standard Time
"John R Weiss" wrote in

"Phil Miller" wrote...

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

I ask because I came across an interesting paragraph in the
T56-A-15 service manual yesterday. Went like this...

...measures the turbine inlet temperature by means of
thermocouples...Eighteen thermocouple assemblies are mounted in the
turbine inlet casing of each engine...One thermocouple of each
assembly is connected to the turbine inlet temperature indicating
system, and...one...is connected to the electronic datum control
system. The 18 indicating system thermocouples are connected in
parallel [!!] by the indicator turbine thermocouple harness
assembly,

I'm surprised you ever doubted the truth on this one!

So, let's revise.

That's going a bit too far... Nobody can revise the Tarver
Chronicles! :-)

bimetallic thermocouples generate millivolt signals,and paralleling
them would not work.Standard practice is to series-connect them,and
compare to a reference junction.Do these assemblies include signal
processing to convert the mV signal to a digital form,which could then
be sent on a parallel bus?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

On every aircraft I ever worked on thermocouples were in parallel if
there were two or more.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Well,I guess they aren't bimetallic thermocouples,then.
Anyone have any speculation on what sort of signal will work with a
parallel connection?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

All thermocouples are bi-metallic.

OK, try this on for size. Jet engines use chromal-alumal (type K) and recips
use iron-constantan (type J) thermocouples. The wires are also made of the same
type of material. If you mount several thermocouples in parallel then all plus
wires match and all minus wires match. As far as the cold junction end is
conserned the hot end has one thermocouple.

If you mount them in series you get plus -- minus -- plus-- minus etc. This
will introduce one heck of an error if it works at all.

If you ever get a chance to look at a jet engine look at the EGT ring of
thermocouples. You will see they are in parallel.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 17th 04, 07:45 PM
Rick

B2431 wrote:

If you mount them in series you get plus -- minus -- plus-- minus etc. This
will introduce one heck of an error if it works at all.

They will produce voltage and current, but like you wrote,
series connecting them will introduce errors which make them
unsuitable for instrumentation or measurement use because of
the higher current flow through each junction.

Rick

Old January 17th 04, 07:46 PM
Tarver Engineering

"B2431" wrote in message
If you ever get a chance to look at a jet engine look at the EGT ring of
thermocouples. You will see they are in parallel.

But T8 is not TIT and it is fed to a totalizer, as deviding only reduces
reliability.

Old January 17th 04, 07:49 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Rick" wrote in message
news
B2431 wrote:

If you mount them in series you get plus -- minus -- plus-- minus

etc. This
will introduce one heck of an error if it works at all.

They will produce voltage and current, but like you wrote,
series connecting them will introduce errors which make them
unsuitable for instrumentation or measurement use because of
the higher current flow through each junction.

No, but parallel is better, although any way you look at it the sensor
system produces a Total.

Old January 17th 04, 08:44 PM
Ralph Nesbitt

"George Ruch" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

Tarver Engineering wrote:

Yep, the individually wired theromcouples are sent to a Totalizer, when

they
are not wired in series. That is why the datum is a total.

Yeah, OK, so in Tarverworld the temperature of the gas
entering the turbine is around 18,000 degrees C.

Roughly the surface temperature of a Class B star. Considering titanium
boils at 3,278C, could this be ... magic metallurgy? g, d & r

|George

Perhaps "Taverallurgy", Splapallurgy, or Splappy's B/S Allurgy" would be a
more appropriate term. Open for suggestion/debate re appropriate name for
this "Specialization".
Ralph Nesbitt
Professional FD/CFR/ARFF Type

Old January 17th 04, 08:53 PM
Ralph Nesbitt

"Phil Miller" wrote in message
Is there a problem with your email account? Sent you one today and it
bounced.

Phil

To my knowledge no. I do use a mail screening program with a Friends List.
If you have changed your addy, that may be the problem. Let me know so I can
add the new addy if you have changed addy's.