Will it fit in a 172?

Old April 30th 05, 05:02 PM
Slick

Default Will it fit in a 172?

If I took the tires off of a 10-speed bicycle would it fit into the beck
seat of a 172?

Old April 30th 05, 06:12 PM
RST Engineering

Depends ENTIRELY on the construction of the bicycle. Now if you took the
back seat OUT ...

Jim

"Slick" wrote in message ...
If I took the tires off of a 10-speed bicycle would it fit into the beck
seat of a 172?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old April 30th 05, 06:59 PM
Slick

Definitely not able to take the back seat out. I'm just looking at my basic
10 speed to try and maybe put the forks over the back seat into the baggage
or maybe even loosen the handle bars if needed.

Old May 1st 05, 12:17 AM
John T

You may have to do something about the handlebars and pedals, the way
they stick out.

John

Old May 1st 05, 12:57 AM
Jay Beckman

"Slick" wrote in message ...
If I took the tires off of a 10-speed bicycle would it fit into the beck
seat of a 172?

Can't recall if it was Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot but,

I saw a blurb (with photo) about a bike rack for C172s that mouned ABOVE the
cockpit just like on a car with straps that tied it down to the door frames.

They claimed it had a minimal effect on W&B.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old May 1st 05, 01:02 AM

I have an old 10-speed with take-apart fittings on it, that lets you
separate the frame
into two halves. It is (IIRC) late '70s vintage. In that condition it
will fit in the back seat of
a cessna (wheels in place), but pretty well fills up the space. I doubt
that you'd get two
of them in there. I haven't seen anything like that advertised in a
long time. However,
there are numerous types of folding bikes available (check eBay).

If you do carry a bike in an airplane, take care to protect the
upholstery from the oil
and grime on the chain and sprockets. An oversize garbage bag will
serve this purpose.

David Johnson

Old May 1st 05, 02:17 AM
Charles O'Rourke

Can't recall if it was Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot but,

I saw a blurb (with photo) about a bike rack for C172s that mouned

ABOVE the
cockpit just like on a car with straps that tied it down to the door

frames.

They claimed it had a minimal effect on W&B.

I remember seeing that in Private Pilot too. I wonder what kind of
cruise speed loss it causes?

It also seems like it'd be pretty difficult to get a bicycle on top of
a C172, let alone attached securely (and you'd sure want it to be
secure!).

Charles.
-N8385U

Old May 1st 05, 03:24 AM
Matt Whiting

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Slick" wrote in message ...

If I took the tires off of a 10-speed bicycle would it fit into the beck
seat of a 172?

Can't recall if it was Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot but,

I saw a blurb (with photo) about a bike rack for C172s that mouned ABOVE the
cockpit just like on a car with straps that tied it down to the door frames.

They claimed it had a minimal effect on W&B.

This is really funny. Go back and check the date on the issue. I was
wondering if anyone would miss the point on that.

Matt
Old May 1st 05, 03:53 AM
nrp

We took two 10 speed bikes to Bryce Canyon in a 172H. We had to take
the back seat out, and removed both front and back wheels to make it
all fit.

Surely the idea of a rack on top of a Cessna is a joke??????? Think of
the consequences if something came loose, much less the change in
handling characteristics.................

Old May 1st 05, 04:02 AM
Morgans

"John T" wrote in message
You may have to do something about the handlebars and pedals, the way
they stick out.

My bet is yes, if you turn the handlebars 90 degrees. The pedals unscrew
pretty easily, too. Just remember that one of them is left hand thread.
I'm too tired to try to figure out which one, tonight. g
--
Jim in NC