An amphibian that sank?

Old April 24th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default An amphibian that sank?

Grumman-581 wrote:

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...
I saw a head-on picture of a carrier and boy did it look top heavy...

The point of no return on a carrier is about 15 degrees, if I remember
correctly... For one of the Spruance class destroyers, it's around 60
degrees... At full speed, a ship should be able to apply full rudder
deflection and not go past the point of no return... I knew a guy once who
said that he was on a DD that was pulling 55 degrees as it made it back to
Norfolk -- light fuel load, storm off the coast, etc... You basically have
to strap yourself to your rack to sleep...

sleep?

Are you kidding?

Old April 24th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:

"Flyingmonk" wrote

Young man... Don't you have school tomorrow? g ducking for cover...

BITE ME ! ! ! g

Don't remind me!
--
Jim in NC

-SMACK!-

No sailing for you until your attitude imroves young man!

LoL!!!

Inland lakes mostly, but it could handle coasting in reasonable weather.
It's just too hot and humid at sea level...

There's a nice Catalina 22 near by also.
Real clean older boat. Nicely found.

That's only 4 feet more, but it's all in the middle!
Makes a difference launching and trailering.

I was thinking of an O'Day 17 Daysailer at first,
but I wouldn't want to camp out on a Daysailer at my age...

I think the Capri 18 is a pretty good compromise.
With a roller furling jib, it should sail single handed pretty easy.
Big enough to keep a fairly dry cockpit.

factory webpage:
http://www.catalinayachts.com/yachts...ct=model&id=10

Old April 24th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Roy Smith wrote
Barf. Never use "MacGregor" and "sailboat" in the same sentence.
They are the most butt-ugly things in the universe.

But were not always so. I owned a 1976 MacGregor "Venture 25" that
was a very attractive small boat very similiar in appearance to the
O'Days and Catalinas of the same size.

Bob Moore

Old April 24th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

The aircraft could have been deliberately sunk for training. Or, it
might have hit debris in the water or a submerged object and received a
whole punched through the fuselage. Lastly, water pumps might have
failed causing it to sink gradually between pilot visits.

That last was really what I was wondering. If it didn't get much use, a few
loose rivets could be enough.

Peter

Old April 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
Roy Smith wrote
Barf. Never use "MacGregor" and "sailboat" in the same sentence.
They are the most butt-ugly things in the universe.

But were not always so. I owned a 1976 MacGregor "Venture 25" that
was a very attractive small boat very similiar in appearance to the
O'Days and Catalinas of the same size.

Bob Moore

They were indeed pretty boats, although I never saw the inside of one.

Peter

Old April 24th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message

Peter Dohm wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Peter Dohm" wrote:
Some of the small sail boats also have foam filled compartments with

the
same effect. The name MacGreggor comes to mind from years ago, and

there
are probably others by now.

Barf. Never use "MacGregor" and "sailboat" in the same sentence.

They
are
the most butt-ugly things in the universe.

They actually did have a replica of a 19th century pilot boat that I

thought
was sort of neat, if less than practical, and commercially it was a

dismal
failure. But I really don't like most of their competitors boats very

much
either.

Peter

That must have been the 23 foot. Cute little ship.
Right down to the bow sprit.

I've been looking at a Catalina Capri 18.
Can't decide if it's too big, or too small, or just right...

Richard

You're right, it was the 23 foot. At the time it was a standard catalog
item, although I don't recall ever physically touring one. The feature that
I must liked, besides the outward appearance, was the interior layout.
Rather than trying to advertise sleeping 5 or even 6 people, it had a nicely
arranged forward cabin for two and either one or two bunks mid ship--I've
forgotten the number; but in they old days, they would have been available
to the crew while the paying passengers used the captain's cabin.

The Capri 18 may very well be just right. It's big enough to go belowdecks
for a nap, or even overnight, but small enough to be easily handled and
trailered.

One caveat regarding my nautical advice: Not much experience, and a lot of
that was in Sunfish. OTOH, if one of those old 23 foot MacGreggors should
come my way at about the right time...

Peter

Old April 24th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

When he did his round the world flight he invented the ping pong ball
thing, filled the wings and other parts.

Old April 24th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Macklin wrote:

A better solution
is to fill the compartments with ping-pong balls. They
displace water, don't weigh too much and can be removed for
inspection and corrosion control.

Didn't the "Myth Busters" sink a boat and try to float it again by
filling it with ping-pong balls? If I remember right something on the
boat broke, and all the ping-pong balls spilled out.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old April 24th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Chris W wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:

A better solution is to fill the compartments with ping-pong balls.
They displace water, don't weigh too much and can be removed for
inspection and corrosion control.

Didn't the "Myth Busters" sink a boat and try to float it again by
filling it with ping-pong balls? If I remember right something on the
boat broke, and all the ping-pong balls spilled out.

They did that experiment on a sailboat they had sunk and it did in fact
bring the sailboat back to the surface.
Old April 24th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Newps" wrote in message

Chris W wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:

A better solution is to fill the compartments with ping-pong balls. They
displace water, don't weigh too much and can be removed for inspection
and corrosion control.

Didn't the "Myth Busters" sink a boat and try to float it again by
filling it with ping-pong balls? If I remember right something on the
boat broke, and all the ping-pong balls spilled out.

They did that experiment on a sailboat they had sunk and it did in fact
bring the sailboat back to the surface.

Well I remember from my younger days when canoe swamps not to worry about
it. We did a test of our own back then. We swamped it so the canoe was
completely filled with water, but upright. Then we started sending people
out there to hang on the side rail and use the canoe to keep their heads out
of the water. We wanted to know how many people it would take to send it to
the bottom, but we never found out. We ran out of space on the side rails
for more people to grab.

Now I strongly suspect that it would difficult if not impossible to do the
same thing with an anphib. They are designed to fly not swamp.