Garmin 330

Old April 20th 04, 08:01 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
You have a choice of traffic alerts in male and female voices. The
installation shop configured my GTX330 to use the female voice, I've
not felt compelled to change it, mostly because most controller voices
are male and so it's easy to distinguish between a controller and the
transponder. The female voice has a british accent, I don't know about
the male voice.

It's a Jamaican accent, mon. "Hell, mon, pull up!!"

Old April 20th 04, 09:52 PM
PaulaJay1

There is good news and bad news. You do get the audio and the traffic incator
on the 430 truns yellow when the traffic gets close. I had a plane about 500
feet below me coming from about 8 o'clock. In the Archer it would not have
seen him(I did a 45 deg turn to the left and there he was!). Thgat is the good
news and it really is good.

Now it only works when you have radar coverage ( and I don't think all radars
give you the return info). The traffic info comes from ground radar and not
directly from the target plane. So, coming into many airports, you do not see
the low level traffic. That is, you may still be in radar coverage but the
lower target plane may not. Then tere is always the no transponder plane that
will not be displayed. You still have to keep your eyes open.

That said, it's a great piece of equipment.

Chuck
Old April 21st 04, 04:08 AM
Dan Thompson

I got a 330 recently, and for the heck of it asked one of the tower
controllers if it showed him anything extra, like my N number. He said no,
that's not set up yet. The TIS traffic feature is incredible.

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
writes:

At this point, it doesn't do anything more than mode C.

The assigned mode S code is currently not being programmed into the
transponder, and the controller still doesn't get your tail number
until you give it to him.

Where did you get that? Programming the FAA assigned mode S code was
part of my installation, and I'm told part of every GTX330 installation
at the shop I went (Avionics West).

-jav

Old April 21st 04, 04:11 AM
Dan Thompson

Every once in a while, right after take off I get a traffic alert at my
exact location and altitude, that I assume is my own plane. I think the
system gets a little confused as to what is what. Have you experienced
that?

Old April 21st 04, 07:02 AM
Javier Henderson

"Dan Thompson" writes:

Every once in a while, right after take off I get a traffic alert at my
exact location and altitude, that I assume is my own plane. I think the
system gets a little confused as to what is what. Have you experienced
that?

Yes, if you make any drastic heading and/or altitude changes, you will
sometimes get a spurious alert.

-jav
Old April 21st 04, 08:47 AM
Thomas Borchert

Tom,

It's a Jamaican accent, mon. "Hell, mon, pull up!!"

Reminds me of those two cockpit voice recordings shortly before the
crash. One from a Mexican airline:

Background: "Pull up, pull up!"
Pilot: "Shut up, Gringo!"

The other from a Korean:

Background: "Pull up, pull up!"
Pilot (in Korean): "What does "Pull up" mean?"

Not true, of course.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 21st 04, 12:15 PM
Viperdoc

I have a 330 installed in my Extra 300, and it frequently gives false alerts
while flying acro. The first few times it really got my attention when I got
a traffic alert just as I pulled vertical or started a roll!

Old April 21st 04, 02:02 PM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:08:06 GMT, "Dan Thompson"
wrote:

I got a 330 recently, and for the heck of it asked one of the tower
controllers if it showed him anything extra, like my N number. He said no,
that's not set up yet. The TIS traffic feature is incredible.

I'm sitting about 75 feet away from two Mode S xpdrs, and they were
both "programmed" to the proper ID number when installed.

My understanding is that the ground-based equipment is lacking what it
takes to interpret and display this info.

TC

Old April 21st 04, 02:34 PM
Thomas Borchert

Viperdoc,

I have a 330 installed in my Extra 300, and it frequently gives false alerts
while flying acro.

It's not the 330, it's the ground radar.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 23rd 04, 11:52 AM

I got that from the avionics shop that installed my 330. They have
written instruction to NOT program the assigned code, but instead
program the tail number into the 330. (I saw the instructions).