OSH '05 Comments

Old August 2nd 05, 11:36 PM
Matt Whiting

Tom McQuinn wrote:

This is my third year in a row at Osh and the second time I've had a
department store tent fail me. Never again. My 'C' brand tent with its
'guarantee' to keep me dry is going to a yard sale and I don't care if
it sells for 75 cents. It isn't worth the closet space it would
otherwise take up. I am very interested in any brands of tent that
anyone could recommend. Because if I do this again I intend to stay dry
somehow. I did notice that some of the manufacturers make rain flys
that will keep water out as long as the tent is standing. I gotta get
me one of those!

I have a Coleman Classic tent that is more than 20 years old now. I
don't know if Coleman even sells it, but it survived the storms of OSH
in 1995. It is an 8x10 and has something like 16 or 18 peg loops around
the bottom. I carry an ammo box with rail road spikes to use as tent
pegs. My friend teased me about carrying all of that weight to OSH (but
the Skylane was easily up to the task!), but he stopped teasing me when
my tent was one of the few that survived the thunderstorms intact and
even dry inside.

This isn't a lightweight tent and isn't made for backpacking, but it is
a robust tent that doesn't leak and has held up well during 20 some
years of use. I'm on the second fly as they don't hold up well due to
the tension on them, but the tent is still in decent shape.

Matt
Old August 3rd 05, 12:57 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Are you kidding? I'll bet upwards of $5mil was charged at Oshkosh last
week.

{;-)

Yep, and I added to that, also. ;-)

You will have to be careful now, Jim. I have quite a picture of your return
bike ride. g Out of shape? ;-)
--
Jim in NC

P.S.I'll get on that recipe we talked about, tomorrow.

Old August 3rd 05, 01:05 AM
RDR

Is this the summer of the dicount tent?

Old August 3rd 05, 01:09 AM
Blanche

PPT33R wrote:
John has a great idea on OSH 06 camping tips. Probably a new thread
altogether.

My idea?

Next year in Vegas!

Air conditioned hotel rooms
World-class restaurants
And...a chance to win back part of the expenses

Old August 3rd 05, 01:10 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan. Foam padding strip in the window where the

camping
extension cord enters - to connect to the power strip :-)

I did the same thing in my Astro minivan. I also put a small window AC in
the back, leaving the one back door open, filling in the extra area with a
piece of cardboard duct taped in. Worked great, although this year, the AC
was not needed, much. A quick nap helped my bad back, in the middle of the
day.

Damn ants figured out that they could climb the power cord, and munch on
whatever crumbs were left around. Ant spray poison for that, next year.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 05, 01:12 AM
Morgans

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote

I think I've seen pictures of Zoom on one at Sun'N'fun...

Ouch! I hope you are not including me, and others who use a scooter, with
zoom!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 05, 01:43 AM
Rich S.

"RDR" wrote in message
Is this the summer of the dicount tent?

That would be perfect if not for the typo - "discount". I love it !! LOL.

Rich S.

Old August 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Montblack

("Blanche" wrote)
My idea?

Next year in Vegas!

Air conditioned hotel rooms
World-class restaurants
And...a chance to win back part of the expenses

Are you back home? Plane still for sale?

50/50 is (Black or Red) (Odd or Even) at the roulette wheel - that's about
it. Most everything else in Vegas is house advantage. Good luck.

Montblack

Old August 3rd 05, 02:14 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Morgans wrote:

I think I've seen pictures of Zoom on one at Sun'N'fun...

Ouch! I hope you are not including me, and others who use a scooter, with
zoom!

Have you looped, spun and rolled it? If not, you aren't in his class of
people...
Old August 3rd 05, 02:31 AM
Rich S.

"Montblack" wrote in message

50/50 is (Black or Red) (Odd or Even) at the roulette wheel - that's about
it. Most everything else in Vegas is house advantage. Good luck.

Roulette is one of the worst odds games - almost as bad as "Wheel of
Fortune".

Rich S.