Heating the hanger

Old December 14th 05, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Heating the hanger

In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

Too bad the floor is already poured.
The best hangar heating is via a heated floor.
You plumb it before you pour and connect it to a boiler.
Makes it much more comfortable on your feet and legs while working on
the plane during the cold months and keeps the heat out of the rafters.
Old December 14th 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

This is going to be really expensive. The cost to heat my 80x80 insulated
hanger to about 50F is over $500 a month with natural gas (at last years
prices which have doubled). I try to keep the temp just above freezing and
only turn up the heat if I am going to be working on the Moose all day.

Mike
MU-2

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
What is the groups suggestion for heating a 40x50 insulated hanger. It
doesn't have to be hot I just want to raise the temp about 15-20 degrees
when it is 30-40 outside.

Here's the rub. No natural gas available plenty of electric though
including an unused 220 connection.

To see the hanger visit www.peoamerica.net/N601WR look in the contact me
area.

Gig

Old December 14th 05, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("john smith" wrote)
Makes it much more comfortable on your feet and legs while working on the
plane during the cold months and keeps the heat out of the rafters.

Floor heat is afraid of heights? :-)

Montblack

Old December 14th 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Blanche wrote:
One of those propane blasters?

Propane puts out a lot of moisture when it burns.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 14th 05, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:02:32 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

What is the groups suggestion for heating a 40x50 insulated hanger. It
doesn't have to be hot I just want to raise the temp about 15-20 degrees
when it is 30-40 outside.

30 to 40 outside... we won't see that for highs for at least 4 more
months so I'm assuming you are in the south.

In most places, electric heat is *expensive*.

Do you want to raise the whole area by 15 to 20 degrees or just one or
two work areas. If the latter you can put up some banks of 150 to 250
watt IR lamps on a suspended frame and direct the warmth where you
want it. Make the frame about 3 or 4 foot square with a lamp on each
corner. Lowe's and Home Depot have gimbaled, clamp on (spring loaded)
reflectors at "as I recall" around $12 each. Maybe less. They work
well and you don't need to get close to them to take the chill off.

Here's the rub. No natural gas available plenty of electric though including
an unused 220 connection.

Depends on what you want to spend, but I put in one of the "tube
heaters", or hangar heaters, then added a programmable thermostat. It
used to go from chilly to uncomfortably warm and back with the simple
bimetallic thermostat. Now it stays on what ever temperature you set.
As the heat is really IR, the floors and even my tools are warm.
As I recall the furnace/tube heater was between $800 and $1,000. The
darn thermostat cost me over $200 by the time I purchased the
thermostat, put in the transformer, control relay and ran about 40'
of thin wall from the main panel, to the ceiling, over to the south
wall, west about half the length of the wall and then down to where I
can just reach the thermostat. I did all the work including the
furnace installation. With what I have, paying for the installation
would probably run at least another $500.

It is natural gas, but they are available in propane versions as well.
They normally use room air with the exhaust blown outside, but you can
get them in versions that use outside air. Mine is 75,000 BTU, 30
foot long, and far more than adequate in a 28 X 40' shop. With
temperatures just above zero it doesn't run all that often or very
long at a time. That is with two big garage doors and about a 12'
ceiling.It costs about half as much to heat as does our house.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 14th 05, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:37:26 GMT, Jon Kraus
wrote:

How about one of these to use up that idle 220 volt connection.

http://www.heatersunlimited.com/item29471.ctlg

Let's see @ X 15KW at say 7 cents per KWH is $$2.10 an hour but they
should run intermittently after they are up to temp.

I've forgotten my physics...any one... what's 30KW in BTU?
I remember 746 watts per HP.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
What is the groups suggestion for heating a 40x50 insulated hanger. It
doesn't have to be hot I just want to raise the temp about 15-20 degrees
when it is 30-40 outside.

Here's the rub. No natural gas available plenty of electric though including
an unused 220 connection.

To see the hanger visit www.peoamerica.net/N601WR look in the contact me
area.

Gig

Roger
Old December 14th 05, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:43:05 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Buy some rectangular duct work and lay it along one side of the hanger. Put
several exhaust vents in it. Then using the 220AC, buy some electric duct
heaters, a thermostat, a relay and a fan. Do it yourself forced air. Maybe
a lot of work, but it's not fixed to the building (I assume you rent) and
it's a contained system that should be fairly fire proof. The thermostat
let's you set it and forget it. When you're in the hanger, you can also aim
a propane or kerosene heater towards the fan and get extra heat out of it.

We've got natural gas heat in our hanger, and it is terribly expensive to
maintain 40 degrees here in WI so we just use it to warm up the hanger when
we have work to do.

You ned to insulate that thing.:-))
OTOH if it's big enough for a 737 that's different.

I sure wish I had a hangar built like my shop out at the airport.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jim

Old December 14th 05, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Roger wrote:

I've forgotten my physics...any one... what's 30KW in BTU?

According to a formula I found at "infoplease", that works out to 102,360 BTU.

Old December 14th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Roger wrote:

I've forgotten my physics...any one... what's 30KW in BTU?

According to a formula I found at "infoplease", that works out to 102,360

BTU.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong

your slightly older self.

My 75K natural gas unit heater costs $1.00 per hour as a comparison.

Old December 14th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

A heat pump would provide the cheapest electric heat, but the installation
would be a bitch in a hanger. Main problem would be finding a place for the
condensing unit.
Something like this would be cheap and easy. Hangers are drafty enough for
one of these to be on for a while.
Alex
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...598&R=503 598

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
What is the groups suggestion for heating a 40x50 insulated hanger. It
doesn't have to be hot I just want to raise the temp about 15-20 degrees
when it is 30-40 outside.

Here's the rub. No natural gas available plenty of electric though
including an unused 220 connection.

To see the hanger visit www.peoamerica.net/N601WR look in the contact me
area.

Gig

Days as a hanger rat Jack Allison Owning 33 May 12th 05 03:01 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Yankee Air Force hanger has burned. GraveRobber Restoration 0 October 10th 04 02:52 AM
Hanger space S. Florida smf Owning 2 September 13th 04 05:15 AM
objects near hanger doors at Groom Lake miso Military Aviation 4 May 23rd 04 08:59 PM