A little fun from France (approach procedure)

Old November 23rd 04, 01:00 PM
G Farris

Default A little fun from France (approach procedure)

We're always complaining about the subtleties of this or that procedure, so I
thought I'd throw in this one from Corsica. I particularly like the missed
approach - in IMC at night.

http://faris.nerim.net/LFKJ.JPG

G Faris

Old November 23rd 04, 04:50 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:00:20 +0000 (UTC), (G
Farris) wrote:

We're always complaining about the subtleties of this or that procedure, so I
thought I'd throw in this one from Corsica. I particularly like the missed
approach - in IMC at night.

http://faris.nerim.net/LFKJ.JPG

G Faris

That's wild. Could you post an interpretation of the missed in
english?

I think now I know why I had to practice Pattern A and B.

Old November 23rd 04, 06:22 PM
Chris

Farris) wrote:

We're always complaining about the subtleties of this or that procedure,
so I
thought I'd throw in this one from Corsica. I particularly like the missed
approach - in IMC at night.

http://faris.nerim.net/LFKJ.JPG

G Faris

That's wild. Could you post an interpretation of the missed in
english?

Its pretty obvious what it means

Old November 23rd 04, 07:15 PM
Jose

That's wild. Could you post an interpretation of the missed in
english?

Its pretty obvious what it means

I'll take a stab.

Once established on the climb, turn left, intercept the ODR 245 radial while climbing to 3000 (meters? feet? furlongs?), and await (or follow?)
further instructions from ATC. Climb to 2100 before playing the accordion.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old November 23rd 04, 08:37 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:15:47 GMT, Jose
wrote:

That's wild. Could you post an interpretation of the missed in
english?

Its pretty obvious what it means

I'll take a stab.

Once established on the climb, turn left, intercept the ODR 245 radial while climbing to 3000 (meters? feet? furlongs?), and await (or follow?)
further instructions from ATC. Climb to 2100 before playing the accordion.

Jose

LOL. That's about what I got which is why I asked.

Thanks for the try.
Old November 23rd 04, 09:37 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (G Farris) said:
We're always complaining about the subtleties of this or that procedure, so I
thought I'd throw in this one from Corsica. I particularly like the missed
approach - in IMC at night.

http://faris.nerim.net/LFKJ.JPG

I especially like the fact that while altitudes are in feet (and speeds in
knots), RVRs and visibility figures are in metres.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail.
Old November 23rd 04, 10:41 PM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

In a previous article, zatatime said:

Now, If your supposed to go to 3000, why would you want to level off
at 2100? Is this just in case ATC keeps you under 3000?

The French missed approach instructions generally state "Climb *toward* some
altitude", rather than *to* - the implication being you will expect further
clearances before you get there. This instruction is always associated with a
"Level Acceleration" indication - the point at which it is safe to level off,
or reduce to a cruise climb. Some approaches indicate "Level acceleration Not
Determined".

I think that remark about not accelerating applies to the restriction on
the dashed line on the chart, where it says "IAS MAX 185kt". In other
words, if you want to go to cruise climb that's faster than 185 knots,
wait at least until you're either at 2100 feet or established on the
straight line portion.

The 185 KIAS limit is to insure compliance with the safe turn radius depicted.

It's a little weird that they don't depict the ILS on the chart the way
they do on NOS charts, though, don't you think? Until I read the "ILS" on
the minimum section, I thought the "025 degree" course after 5.4 AJO meant
a 025 bearing to and then from CT.

The way they use NDB's is a little different. They use them a lot - plenty
of approaches have only an NDB, labeled "L" (as in "L"OM), and a procedure
turn or holding pattern entry. Many are not exactly aligned with the runway.
They are reticent to publish GPS approaches, ostensibly because they are still
holding out for Galileo - The European answer to refute any reliance on US
systems.

G Faris