Opinions wanted on UK integrated CPL(H) courses

Old October 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Simon Robbins

Default Opinions wanted on UK integrated CPL(H) courses

Hi,
Is there anyone out there who can recommend any UK integrated JAR CPL(H)
courses? I've checked out Cabair and the only other school set-up I know of
is Oxford Aviation Training who I've yet to check out in person. Currently
my options are to jump in with both feet, sell up and do a year long
integrated program or spend a few weeks in Florida doing my PPL(H) first as
a way of dipping my toe in the water and either tempering my enthusiasm for
further commercial training, or motivating me to sell the house and go for
it. Anyone have any unbiased opinion on the outlook or opportunities of
finding employment with an off-shore operation afterwards? (I've heard
everything from not a chance until you've got an IR, to no problem they'd
welcome you.)

Si

Old October 9th 04, 08:28 PM
Beav

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt even TRYING to do it in the UK would work well, purely from a
weather point of view. Too many variables to be able to plan a schedule
that's even close to be a realistic one.

I have (had) a pal go through exactly the same thing a few years ago and he
ended up selling up and moving to America to get his full commercial from
scratch. He came back when he was "qualified" but through a lack of
expereinced hours (i.e. paid hours) he couldn't find any work:-(

Last I heard he'd moved to South Africa

Beav

Old October 10th 04, 12:13 PM
Simon Robbins

"Beav" wrote in message
I doubt even TRYING to do it in the UK would work well, purely from a
weather point of view. Too many variables to be able to plan a schedule
that's even close to be a realistic one.

I see you point, but the flying colleges offering integrated courses seem to
have established successful schedules that work. I know a couple of people
who have managed it here, mainly because the VFR conditions for helicopters
are not as restrictive as those for light fixed wing. Plus I've heard that
converted foreign CPL licences aren't particularly well looked upon by UK
based fleet operators.

However, I have thought about doing my PPL(H) abroad as a first step before
jumping in with both feet and doing CPL training full-time.

Si

Old October 13th 04, 09:57 PM
Beav

"Beav" wrote in message
I doubt even TRYING to do it in the UK would work well, purely from a
weather point of view. Too many variables to be able to plan a schedule
that's even close to be a realistic one.

I see you point, but the flying colleges offering integrated courses seem
have established successful schedules that work. I know a couple of people
who have managed it here, mainly because the VFR conditions for
helicopters
are not as restrictive as those for light fixed wing.

But the restriction on wind is still pretty tight, particularly on heli's
like the Robbie 22. IIRC, it's about 23knots for a student/instructor, but I
could be wrong and things could've changed.

Plus I've heard that
converted foreign CPL licences aren't particularly well looked upon by UK
based fleet operators.

That's very true.

However, I have thought about doing my PPL(H) abroad as a first step
before
jumping in with both feet and doing CPL training full-time.

It'll work out a LOT less expensive, and I'll still wager a lot more quickly
too. Flying in Arizona is almost an everyday guarantee.

Getting your PPL ratified over here shouldn't be much of an issue after
that.

Beav

Old October 16th 04, 01:10 PM
Simon Robbins

"Beav" wrote in message

Getting your PPL ratified over here shouldn't be much of an issue after
that.

I spoke to CabAir about doing the three-week PPL course with their affiliate
school in Florida. They said at the moment they can't award a JAR
certificate, on an FAA one for it, mainly because FAA teaches difference
procedures for auto-rotations*, but I'd only need an extra five hours bac in
the UK to meet JAR requirements.

(* apparently in the US you don't have to put the ship on the floor when
practcing an auto, but in the UK you do.)

Si

Old October 18th 04, 05:02 PM
Beav

"Beav" wrote in message

Getting your PPL ratified over here shouldn't be much of an issue after
that.

I spoke to CabAir about doing the three-week PPL course with their
affiliate
school in Florida. They said at the moment they can't award a JAR
certificate, on an FAA one for it, mainly because FAA teaches difference
procedures for auto-rotations*, but I'd only need an extra five hours bac
in
the UK to meet JAR requirements.

(* apparently in the US you don't have to put the ship on the floor when
practcing an auto, but in the UK you do.)

And those R22 auto arrivals are scary. doing them in an Enstrom is a joy,
coz you've got to work REALLY hard to make a pigs ear of it. Massive amounts
of inertia in those big heavy blades.

I still think it'd be an easier (and probably cheaper) solution to get your
PPL over the pond, then "do the necessary" to get your CAA licence, but
whichever route you take, have the very best of luck with it. That's
something I could've used 18 years ago.

Beav