negative dihedral

Old June 5th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default negative dihedral

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in newseF1k.1880$nD3.1544
@newsfe15.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

That's right. I never flew it but the guys who did said ............

Bertie

Starting to sound like your little brother Anthony.

Oh ouch.. Anthony lames. What next, you going to call me a poopie head?

Bertie
Old June 5th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Heh heh. I'm insatiably curious so I'm tempted! But unless he's talking
about antigravity, you could probably trace some bit of whatever bit of
airplane he's talking about back to some point way back. In fact, even
if he were talking about antigravity, it's probably got soem of it's
roots in something the Nazis were playing with in Prague or one of
Tesla's half mad notions...

Bertie

WOW! Have you told Dudley and MoreFlaps?

Old June 5th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default negative intelligence.

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:hiF1k.1883$nD3.1442
@newsfe15.lga:

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
ions...
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJscAaKfr7A

Ooops, that was a MSFS one. ----------

/snip/

Am I the only one who sees the *immense* irony in this?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Apparently something he and Anthony have been working on.

Yeh, good one lamer boi.

You're giving me a real hiding there. Keep up the good work.

Bertie
Old June 5th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.sailing.asa
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:RjF1k.1884$nD3.1610
@newsfe15.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Heh heh. I'm insatiably curious so I'm tempted! But unless he's

talking
about antigravity, you could probably trace some bit of whatever bit

of
airplane he's talking about back to some point way back. In fact,

even
if he were talking about antigravity, it's probably got soem of it's
roots in something the Nazis were playing with in Prague or one of
Tesla's half mad notions...

Bertie

WOW! Have you told Dudley and MoreFlaps?

No, do I need to?

Bertie
Old June 5th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

on 6/3/2008 10:35 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
I think there have been a couple of straight wing airplanes wiht
anhedral, but I can't picture one off the top of my head. Surely
everything that can be tried, has been tried at this stage!

The Lockheed F-104, perhaps?
Old June 5th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in news:484753e0$0$76834
:

on 6/3/2008 10:35 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
I think there have been a couple of straight wing airplanes wiht
anhedral, but I can't picture one off the top of my head. Surely
everything that can be tried, has been tried at this stage!

The Lockheed F-104, perhaps?

Yep, dats one. i have no idea what the anhedral does on that, but I'm going
to take a blind stab at area rule.

Bertie
Old June 5th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

on 6/4/2008 9:54 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
Rich Ahrens wrote in news:484753e0$0$76834
:

on 6/3/2008 10:35 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
I think there have been a couple of straight wing airplanes wiht
anhedral, but I can't picture one off the top of my head. Surely
everything that can be tried, has been tried at this stage!

The Lockheed F-104, perhaps?

Yep, dats one. i have no idea what the anhedral does on that, but I'm going
to take a blind stab at area rule.

The usual, I think - Dutch roll control. The vertical fin was almost as
long as the wings.
Old June 5th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in
. net:

on 6/4/2008 9:54 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
Rich Ahrens wrote in news:484753e0$0$76834
:

on 6/3/2008 10:35 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
I think there have been a couple of straight wing airplanes wiht
anhedral, but I can't picture one off the top of my head. Surely
everything that can be tried, has been tried at this stage!
The Lockheed F-104, perhaps?

Yep, dats one. i have no idea what the anhedral does on that, but I'm
going to take a blind stab at area rule.

The usual, I think - Dutch roll control. The vertical fin was almost
as long as the wings.

Mm. Dunno. The fin would be neccesary because of the center of pressure
change anyway. You're right though. anhedral would dampen any high
speed dutch roll tendencies by reducing the alpha on an advancing wing.,
but the rules for things like that with razor thin wings get a bit weird
anyway. Trans-sonic it shouldn't have many issues anyway since
compressibility is dealt with by the airfoil, but you're probably right.
Its a shame. I was flying with a former aeronautical engineer the other
day and could have asked him.

Bertie
Old June 5th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 3, 3:13*pm, Tina wrote:
I understand how positive dihedral helps dynamic stability in
airplanes, but some big ones, like the Russian An 124 Condor, has a
pronounced negative dihedral -- the wings have a noticeable downward
slope.

Q1: Do those airplanes need active fly by wire controls to maintain
stability, or is something else at play that keeps them right side up?

Q2: Does anyone have a design rationalization *for such a
configuration, as opposed to just zero dihedral? I can appreciate why
fighters have it -- they exploit lack of aerodynamic stability for
rapid *maneuvers -- but transports that spend their whole life being
straight and level are another issue.

Negative dihedral provides a place to hang bombs ala the USNavy's A-7
Corsair II.

-Robert
Old June 5th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 3:13 pm, Tina wrote:
I understand how positive dihedral helps dynamic stability in
airplanes, but some big ones, like the Russian An 124 Condor, has a
pronounced negative dihedral -- the wings have a noticeable downward
slope.

Q1: Do those airplanes need active fly by wire controls to maintain
stability, or is something else at play that keeps them right side up?

Q2: Does anyone have a design rationalization for such a
configuration, as opposed to just zero dihedral? I can appreciate why
fighters have it -- they exploit lack of aerodynamic stability for
rapid maneuvers -- but transports that spend their whole life being
straight and level are another issue.

Negative dihedral provides a place to hang bombs ala the USNavy's A-7
Corsair II.

-Robert

Don't forget the Harrier also...

Another old negative Don Pyeatt Aviation Photos 0 March 2nd 08 05:32 PM
"predator' dihedral Phil Rhodes Naval Aviation 5 May 25th 07 09:54 PM
Wing dihedral Dallas Piloting 35 March 20th 06 04:01 PM
how to cope with negative g´s? Markus Aerobatics 6 July 2nd 05 12:00 AM
Biplane wing dihedral vincent p. norris General Aviation 20 June 18th 05 02:58 AM