Any fliers?

Old May 24th 04, 08:42 PM
R Haskin

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

I'd love to see the Talon with the new layout. Video alone, instead of
16mm film in 50 foot cans, would be a great teaching aid.

You're welcome any time you make it to southern Georgia or north Florida.
I'm sure that something could be arranged that would make it worth your
while. Unfortunately besides the jets and the bar (and the occasional co-ed
from Valdsota State University), there's not a whole hell of a lot else to
do down here!

I believe that there will be another 479th reunion this October, though.

If you page through the Doofer book (I don't recall if the call-sign
legend page was still intact), I'm "OFP"--which could mean "Old
Fighter Pilot" or "Old Fat Pilot".

This particular entry I'm thinking of is funny because it recalls that
famous list of "stupid pilot" maintenance writeups. I believe that in this
particular writeup an IP notes that you wrote up in the 781s an IFF that
was, as they say, "O-F-F."

Old May 24th 04, 08:50 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:22:16 -0600, "Jeff Crowell"
wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:
his story of coming up on the tail of a
FW-190, only to have both engines quit just as he's about to pull the
trigger, then shooting the German down as he's piloting a glider is
incredible.

Urk. Little fuel tank selector lever problem, one assumes?

Shack!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old May 24th 04, 08:54 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:42:26 -0400, "R Haskin"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

I'd love to see the Talon with the new layout. Video alone, instead of
16mm film in 50 foot cans, would be a great teaching aid.

You're welcome any time you make it to southern Georgia or north Florida.
I'm sure that something could be arranged that would make it worth your
while. Unfortunately besides the jets and the bar (and the occasional co-ed
from Valdsota State University), there's not a whole hell of a lot else to
do down here!

I believe that there will be another 479th reunion this October, though.

Well, if you guys at Moody did as good of a job of recruiting
operational types to be River Rats as they do at See-My-Johnson, you
could get a whole flock of Rats. SJAFB does a mini-reunion and air
show every year that's pretty whiz-bang. They've got almost 30 of the
Mud Hen drivers signed up, and as those folks get reassigned, we begin
to get active duty Rats at a lot of places.

If you page through the Doofer book (I don't recall if the call-sign
legend page was still intact), I'm "OFP"--which could mean "Old
Fighter Pilot" or "Old Fat Pilot".

This particular entry I'm thinking of is funny because it recalls that
famous list of "stupid pilot" maintenance writeups. I believe that in this
particular writeup an IP notes that you wrote up in the 781s an IFF that
was, as they say, "O-F-F."

You'll have to show me that one. You can back-channel me a photo of
the page and I'll confess if it's true.

Old May 24th 04, 09:28 PM
Joe Osman

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:42:26 -0400, "R Haskin"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

When I was learning how to fix IFF interrogators in the USMC, they told us
the tale of the pilot whose IFF was inoperative and who, after all the
switch positions that were considered relevant had been checked, asked about
the proper position for the "ON-IFF" switch. He, of course, had placed it in
the "IFF" position.

Joe

Old May 24th 04, 11:13 PM
MLenoch

Ed Rasimus wrote:

And, my personal favorite, is a co-authored bio of Robin Olds. I've
proposed the concept to Robin and live close enough to work the
interviews with him. He's been reluctant, but his story needs to be
told. I'll probably visit him in Steamboat this summer and
face-to-face the proposal again.

Maybe a compilation of his bar songs too! Might have music industry spin offs;
OK these days since a few of his are ....er....bawdy!
VL
Old May 25th 04, 05:30 PM
Alan Minyard

Subject: Any fliers?
From: "Jeff Crowell"

Date: 5/24/04 12:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time
Bob McKellar wrote:
Last time I checked, the world was not suffering from a shortage of

military
novels.

No, just a dearth of ***good*** military novels.

Jeff

There is no such thing as a good military novel.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Agreed. There are so many non-fiction military books out there that
I seriously doubt that they could be read in a life time. Even if you throw
out the ones that are terribley subjective.

Al Minyard
Old May 25th 04, 05:38 PM
ArtKramr

From: Alan Minyard
Date: 5/25/04 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time
On 24 May 2004 19:39:03 GMT,

From: "Jeff Crowell"

Date: 5/24/04 12:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time
Bob McKellar wrote:
Last time I checked, the world was not suffering from a shortage of
military
novels.

No, just a dearth of ***good*** military novels.

Jeff

There is no such thing as a good military novel.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Agreed. There are so many non-fiction military books out there that
I seriously doubt that they could be read in a life time. Even if you throw
out the ones that are terribley subjective.

Al Minyard

I have never yet read a war novel that gives you the real freeling of having
been there. Not one.If the pages don't smell of cordite and hydraulic fluid,
then it ain't real.