Sorry Jay, Alexis Park Inn Misses Out

Old February 7th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Sorry Jay, Alexis Park Inn Misses Out

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...207hangar.html
Old February 7th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...207hangar.html

Glad it's been saved.

We're fighting our own hangar battle here, and losing. The historic
Boeing/United Hangar -- one of just seven original Boeing air mail hangars
left in the country -- is slated for demolition as soon as the snow melts.

As anyone steeped in aviation history knows, Iowa City was at the heart of
the transcontinental airmail line -- the precursor for all commercial
aviation in America and the world. This hangar is an irreplaceable piece of
aviation history, but the FAA has deemed it to be "too close to the runway
for modern safety standards" -- and it must go.

It's so frustrating. I live in one of the most left-wing, liberal cities in
America, where government spending on ANYTHING is routinely approved -- but
(because it's not a Victorian house) our 78-year old gem isn't even
considered by our local "Historic Preservation" groups.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 7th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I remember you talking about this before. Have you contacted any of the
historic preservation groups that aren't local?
Old February 7th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I remember you talking about this before. Have you contacted any of the
historic preservation groups that aren't local?

Yep. We've had people from all over the country come look at the hangar.

They've all decided it's just too danged big to move across the country.
Locally, no one cares -- not even our airport commissioners.

It's criminal, but it's pretty much a done deal.

What really sucks is that they're using a federal grant to tear it down --
and applying for a new federal grant to build a new hangar of equal size!
If they wanted to move the old hangar on the airport, it can be done for as
little as $30K (not counting site prep and restoration costs, which could,
admittedly, run several hundred thousand dollars) and they'd have a
perfectly good -- and historic -- hangar.

Apparently grants are available for new hangar construction, but not old
hangar restoration.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 7th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

I am not ready to assume much of anything. A lot of federal grants are
available for historic buildings of nearly all types and nearly all
purposes; but it comes out of another "pocket" in the federal
bureaucracy--other than the airport improvement fund.

Peter

Old February 7th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you've done this obvious step, but have you contacted your
representatives/senators?

Matt
Old February 7th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Jay Honeck wrote about losing an historic hangar.

Jay, are you certain you haven't seen a family of spotted owls living in it?

Old February 8th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:33:00 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in gOKqj.20266$9j6.9228@attbi_s22:

What really sucks is that they're using a federal grant to tear it down --
and applying for a new federal grant to build a new hangar of equal size!
If they wanted to move the old hangar on the airport, it can be done for as
little as $30K (not counting site prep and restoration costs, which could,
admittedly, run several hundred thousand dollars) and they'd have a
perfectly good -- and historic -- hangar.

Apparently grants are available for new hangar construction, but not old
hangar restoration.

Once you get the hangar listed, then all you have to do is write a
grant proposal:

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/
The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's official
list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. Authorized
under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National
Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support
public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our
historic and archeological resources. Properties listed in the
Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and
objects that are significant in American history, architecture,
archeology, engineering, and culture. The National Register is
administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the
U.S. Department of the Interior.

What are the Listing Criteria?

The National Register's standards for evaluating the significance
of properties were developed to recognize the accomplishments of
all peoples who have made a significant contribution to our
country's history and heritage. The criteria are designed to guide
State and local governments, Federal agencies, and others in
evaluating potential entries in the National Register.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistori...s.com/faq.html
Criteria for Evaluation The quality of significance in American
history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture is
present in districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects
that possess integrity of location, design, setting, materials,
workmanship, feeling, and association, and:

A. That are associated with events that have made a significant
contribution to the broad patterns of our history; or

B. That are associated with the lives of persons significant in
our past; or

C. That embody the distinctive characteristics of a type, period,
or method of construction, or that represent the work of a master,
or that possess high artistic values, or that represent a
significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack
individual distinction; or

D. That have yielded or may be likely to yield, information
important in prehistory or history.

The process varies from State to State depending on State
workload, planning, and registration priorities, and the schedule
of the review board. The process takes a minimum of 90 days to
fulfill all of the review and notification requirements provided
that a complete and fully documented nomination form has been
completed for the property.

Upon submission to the National Park Service, a decision on
whether to list the property is made within 45 days.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistori...com/forms.html
Iowa
Mr. Tom Morain
State Historic Preservation Officer
State Historical Society of Iowa
600 East Locust Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0290
515-281-8837

http://www.achp.gov/fpolist.html
Contact Information for Federal Agency Historic Preservation
Programs and Officers

Department of Transportation (DOT)
Ms. Linda Lawson

Federal Preservation Officer
Director
Office of the Secretary
Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Phone: 202.366.4835
Fax: 202.366.0263
E-mail:

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Ms. Michon Washington
Federal Preservation Officer
Office of Environment and Energy, AEE-200
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Room 902
Washington, DC 20591
Phone: 202.267.9548
Fax: 202.267.5594
E-mail:

Old February 8th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message ...

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...207hangar.html

Pretty much everything seems to be only a façade anymore. Maybe Jay can save the from of the old Boeing hangar...

Old February 8th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Once you get the hangar listed, then all you have to do is write a
grant proposal:

Thanks for the ideas, Larry -- but no one wants the hangar put on the
historic register and have it declared immovable. If this were to happen,
our newly extended runway would be far less usable, because the new approach
minimums will be set based on obstructions in the clear zone.

Since the old hangar is right, smack in the new clear zone, right next to
the runway, this would be catastrophic for the airport. We've waited since
WWII for this new runway extension, and I'm not going to be part of anything
that would jeopardize it.

Now we can argue all day about the FAA's logic of declaring lower clear
zones due to the removal of a hangar that has been sitting next to the
runway for over 77 years -- but I think we both know that's a losing battle.
Rules are rules.

No, the only solution is to move it -- and no one wants to move it.
Therefore, it's going to come down.

What's truly sad is that we've got two major events in Iowa City this summer
that would greatly benefit from the old airmail hangar. The "American
Barnstormers Tour" is kicking off their summer tour in Iowa City in June,
and the "Antique Aircraft Association" is going to be celebrating the 80th
anniversary of airmail flights in America by reenacting the airmail flights
that came through Iowa City -- in the authentic aircraft that did it
originally!

Both of these organizations have appealed to our airport commission, in
hopes of using the original Boeing/United hangar during their visits -- to
no avail. If the plans go forward, the hangar will be long gone before
either of these events...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Off to the Alexis Park Inn tomorrow Peter R. Piloting 23 July 2nd 06 03:53 AM
Alexis Park Inn Ron R Piloting 34 February 6th 05 02:00 PM
ALEXIS PARK INN - comments please. dlevy Piloting 13 January 23rd 04 04:54 PM
ALEXIS PARK INN - comments please. plumbus bobbus Home Built 0 January 22nd 04 12:02 AM
ALEXIS PARK INN - comments please. plumbus bobbus Instrument Flight Rules 0 January 22nd 04 12:02 AM