A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

first Comp

Old December 25th 18, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Default first Comp

Don't worry about the glider - get yourself in shape:

1) Practice setting a task on every flight, then fly that task, then analyze that flight on SeeYou. What could you have done better?

2) Try to crew for somebody else experienced (even if only for a couple of days) before your first comp. You will learn a lot in a more relaxed atmosphere than when you are competing.

3) Get the contest waypoint & airspace files downloaded early and study them. Download comp flights from the last contest at that location and see the lines that successful competitors used. Learn where the airport and land out options are.

4) Have fun and be mindful of Gary Ittner's saying: Competition is just flying cross country as efficiently as possible.

ROY
Old December 25th 18, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default first Comp

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:00:04 PM UTC-8, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Welcome to the addiction Neil.

It would help a bit if you mentioned what country and contest you are flying. National rules vary from country to country (UK, Australia, and US are all different for instance). Read the rules for your country - particularly starts, finishes and penalties.

I agree with others, knowing how to use your flight computer under pressure is the most important thing. Second is making sure all the bits on your glider that need to work in a contest do in fact function well so that you aren't running around like a chicken with your head cut off prior to grid time. After that, if the finish on your glider is shot, getting things smoothed out as best you can would help. If seals are missing that's next and beyond that don't forget gap-sealing tape. If your pneumatics are shot and you can't get energy compensation to work you will end up in crappy thermals, so a few flights doing pull-ups and watching the vario (if you haven't already) would be useful. Beyond that, take starts on the early side so you get home and study the weather forecast (get a subscription to one of the glider forecasting services).

Best of luck,

Andy Blackburn
9B

Old December 25th 18, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default first Comp

Looking back at my first comp it was all about learning to fly a lot faster than alone. Learning curve is pretty steep, it is much easier to find yourself a nice gaggle and see what others do, learn the rhytm of fast flying and see some uncomfortable decisions, low saves etc. that you would mostly avoid flying alone. It takes some practise to keep up with fast group, after that you can learn to do things yourself.

All of this of course if your aim is to get most points.

If you want a fast lane to comp flying, get a good twin (Duo etc.), national level pilot to the backseat and fly with him.