A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Blanik L13 bearings

Old October 15th 14, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Blanik L13 bearings

I am working on a project to convert my L13 into an airshow bird for static display. I need the bearings that run in the flap tracks and the rod end bearings for the flaps/aileron control rods at the flying surface end. Does anyone have any new/old/extra bearings to contribute to the project. Worthwhile project I can brief you on privately if you have what I need.

Also on the wish list although not imperative is a

1) Maintenance manual with part numbers.
2) Canopy.

If anyone can help me procure these items I and others will be grateful. Once again I can brief you on project goals and parties involved before you commit.

Thanks,
Lane Bush
(my name with no

Old October 16th 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:34:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am working on a project to convert my L13 into an airshow bird for static display. I need the bearings that run in the flap tracks and the rod end bearings for the flaps/aileron control rods at the flying surface end...

What I'd do is measure the ID, OD, and width of the bearings, and then look them up using the bearing search tool on www.VXB.com. The dimensions will most likely be integer millimeters.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old October 16th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

That may work. However the rod end bearings have a curved dimension around the circumference. I am not sure if these are pressed into the rod ends or if the entire rod end has to be replaced. I did not take this bird apart so putting it back together without a manual is tough. I really need a maintenance manual to educate myself.

Lane
Old October 16th 14, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Lane,

The bearings are standard metric bearings. The numbers should be stamped on the face. For your application they should cost a few dollars on eBay.

Tim
Old October 16th 14, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:26:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
...I am not sure if these are pressed into the rod ends or if the entire rod end has to be replaced...

If you can send me a photo of the assembly in question, I can probably give you some guidance.

...I did not take this bird apart so putting it back together without a manual is tough. I really need a maintenance manual to educate myself.

You might try contacting Blanik America. I have had mediocre luck getting a response from them, but I haven't had opportunity to try for several years. It might be different now.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old October 16th 14, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:11:51 PM UTC-6, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:34:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I am working on a project to convert my L13 into an airshow bird for static display. I need the bearings that run in the flap tracks and the rod end bearings for the flaps/aileron control rods at the flying surface end...

What I'd do is measure the ID, OD, and width of the bearings, and then look them up using the bearing search tool on www.VXB.com. The dimensions will most likely be integer millimeters.

Thanks, Bob K.

Another good source of bearing data is SKF. (www.skf.com) It's nice that they provide CAD drawing files of their bearings. Both metric and inch bearings are available.