Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Old March 28th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default A.N.N. BUSTED! Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:26:46 -0500, Big John wrote:

Chuck

Looks like TRON Guy is replacing Juam.

Nahh, Jay's OK. If Charles Manson knocks on your front door and says the second
floor of your house is a raging inferno, you *are* allowed to sniff the air
without being a card-carrying member of Charlie's family.

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 28th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 27, 6:49*pm, Jay Maynard
On 2008-03-27, Big John wrote:

Looks like TRON Guy is replacing Juam.

Wrong. I'm no supporter of Zoom Campbell. All I'm doing is saying the
Florida tax story's correctness is independent of his credibility, or lack
thereof.

BTW, if you're the John I'm thinking of, I used to say that I'd listen with
respect to anything you said about flying based on your long Air Force
career and ignore anything else. Now, I'm not so sure.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC * * * * * * * * *http://www.conmicro.comhttp://jmaynard.livejournal.com* * *http://www.tronguy.net
Fairmont, MN (FRM) * * * * * * * * * * * *(Yes, that's me!)

I want someone to explain to me, if this is suddenly such a big deal
why is there only one confirmed instance being dicussed. How many more
of these have occured ? It amazes me because nothing was mentioned
regarding the Sebring event in January. To the best of my knowledge
not one person was concerned about the tax man during that show. If
you get the EAA Sport Pilot magazine the current issue has a nice
aerial photo of the Sebring ramp during the show. No it isn't SnF but
there is a ramp full of planes both display and transit. With this in
mind think about what is motivating the person stirring this mess.

Frank M.Hitlaw at my Secret World Hq
Old March 29th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:49:05 GMT, Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-27, Big John wrote:
Looks like TRON Guy is replacing Juam.

Wrong. I'm no supporter of Zoom Campbell. All I'm doing is saying the
Florida tax story's correctness is independent of his credibility, or lack
thereof.

BTW, if you're the John I'm thinking of, I used to say that I'd listen with
respect to anything you said about flying based on your long Air Force
career and ignore anything else. Now, I'm not so sure.

Tron guy

I've been following your activities on
for years.

Group should read your history there. Also check "Tron Guy" via
Google.

I'm supprised that Bertie hasn't included you in his rants (sic em
Bertie).

Big John
Old March 29th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

On Mar 27, 6:49 pm, Jay Maynard
wrote:
On 2008-03-27, Big John wrote:

[...]

---------------new message begins----------

I, for one, can't explain anything to you or to anyone else; but I might
suggest the possibility that the case has just finally come to light. As a
matter of fact, I don't read most of the news sources for either business
news or aviation news--so I can't even make any presumption about who first
broke the story.

I find it regrettable that several individuals, for whom I have great
respect, seem to be blinded to the possibility that this story might be
timely and larger than it appears so far--and I can only wait to read/hear
whether the situation is widespread and what extenuating circumstances might
exist on any side.

Peter

Old March 29th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-29, Big John wrote:
I've been following your activities on
for years.

Group should read your history there. Also check "Tron Guy" via
Google.

Then you've been getting a very one-sided, deliberately slanted viewpoint
that misses being libelous only because of its total lack of believability.
Those folks are no more credible than Zoom Campbell. They've been conducting
a vendetta against me ever since I shone the light of reality on their
blatant attempts to take over the Texas VHF-FM Society. At least they don't
damage their own reputations by posting under their real names.

I would recommend that anyone who reads their rantings also read the real
story at http://www.gangofthree.info .

If you're the John I think you are (ex-unlicensed ham?), then you don't have
to believe me...just ask Kent.

I'm supprised that Bertie hasn't included you in his rants (sic em
Bertie).

He can go right ahead; I'll never see them.
Old April 1st 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Cirrus Owner Tell His Story

On 2008-03-27, BobR wrote:
What you don't seem to understand or I suspect you just don't give a
damn (based on your own motives statement) is that the way the story
was presented, it was a direct attempt to do harm to both Sun-N-Fun
and indirectly everyone who attends in order to display their products
and services. Motives do matter and factual presentation along with
credibility also matter.

I don't care what Zoom's motives are. The story is what matters.

http://www.fata.aero/news.asp?news_id=88&display=yes
Old April 1st 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

On 2008-03-27, BobR wrote:
What you don't seem to understand or I suspect you just don't give a
damn (based on your own motives statement) is that the way the story
was presented, it was a direct attempt to do harm to both Sun-N-Fun
and indirectly everyone who attends in order to display their products
and services. Motives do matter and factual presentation along with
credibility also matter.

I don't care what Zoom's motives are. The story is what matters.

http://www.fata.aero/news.asp?news_id=88&display=yes

So basically he wasn't charged any sales or use tax. That is not what the
A.N.N. story claimed. The Cirrus owner simply assumed that the advice he
heard over the phone was valid and canceled his plans.
Old April 1st 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Sun n Fun Email Cirrus Owner Tell His Story (was: Cirrus Owner Tell His Story)

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:28:45 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

http://www.fata.aero/news.asp?news_id=88&display=yes

So basically he wasn't charged any sales or use tax. That is not what the
A.N.N. story claimed. The Cirrus owner simply assumed that the advice he
heard over the phone was valid and canceled his plans.

I received this from Sun n' fun which seemingly contradicts the report
by the Cirrus owner (link above).

March 21, 2008

Sun ¡¦n Fun has recently been made aware of media reports of a ¡§Florida
Tax Ripoff¡¨ and the impact this may have on the Sun ¡¦n Fun Fly-In, which
opens Tuesday, April 8, and runs through Sunday, April 13.

The reports erroneously describe ¡§non (Florida)-resident pilots who have
been caught in the FL tax trap¡¨ and who have been ¡§targeted for ¡¥use
tax¡¦ by agents of the state¡¦s Department of Revenue . . . despite the
fact that the targeted aircraft were not owned or operated by state
residents.¡¨

This is inaccurate and misleading. Sun ¡¦n Fun contacted the Florida
Department of Revenue and received a definition of the regulation in
question. Language within the Florida Tax Code quoted in the media
reports clearly indicates this tax affects ONLY those owners who have:

Purchased their airplane in another state (outside of Florida) within
the past six months but who have the aircraft titled, registered or
licensed in Florida and have not paid Florida tax on that airplane.

This DOES NOT impact Sun ¡¦n Fun Exhibitors who bring aircraft to
Lakeland.

It DOES NOT impact aircraft owners whose airplane is more than six
months old, which comprises a vast majority of aircraft being flown to
Sun ¡¦n Fun.
It DOES NOT impact aircraft owners who have owned their airplane more
than six months and have it titled, registered or licensed in another
state.
It DOES NOT impact aircraft owners who have purchased an airplane within
the past six months and have it titled, registered or licensed in
another state (other than Florida).
And it DOES NOT impact aircraft owners who have purchased their
airplanes within the past six months in Florida and have paid the
appropriate tax.
The bottom line is that the Florida Tax Code in question has the
capacity to impact a minute number ¡V if any ¡V of the aircraft flying to
Lakeland for Sun ¡¦n Fun. More importantly, the Florida Department of
Revenue has assured Sun ¡¥n Fun that there will not be any agents
assigned to the Fly-In event conducting ¡§ramp checks¡¨ and that
out-of-state aircraft flying to Florida for Sun 'n Fun are not subject
to the "sales/use" tax as long as the aircraft owner is not trying to
avoid taxes owed because he/she is a Florida resident or operates a
business in Florida and uses the aircraft for that purpose.

We look forward to seeing you at Sun ¡¦n Fun!

John Burton
President
Sun ¡¥n Fun
Old April 1st 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:28:45 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

http://www.fata.aero/news.asp?news_id=88&display=yes

So basically he wasn't charged any sales or use tax. That is not what the
A.N.N. story claimed. The Cirrus owner simply assumed that the advice he
heard over the phone was valid and canceled his plans.

This Cirrus owner and the Cirrus owner in the OP are not necessarily the
same person/plane.

Here's FDOT's position paper on the matter.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/s...aft_owner.html

I don't think there is any argument whatsoever here. Florida sees the
aircraft entering Florida as "use" of Florida (air) facilities, not a
"sales" tax on the transaction. They clearly state they do ramp checks.

Does this mean Sun n Fun attendees are liable for use taxation? Sure
does. Does this mean that there is a likelihood they will be taxed? I
don't see the likelihood at all.