Callsigns from hell...

Old August 18th 03, 08:43 PM
José Herculano

Default Callsigns from hell...

http://homepage3.nifty.com/YOKOTA/NF313.jpg

_____________
José Herculano

Old August 19th 03, 02:29 AM
Larry

I can't help but notice the Plane Captain is an "AM3" (AW), so when did they
combine AME, AMH, and AMS ratings?

Feeling more like an "old fart" every day, definitely before my time!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

Old August 19th 03, 05:22 AM
Larry

I thought the (AW) was so that he could work on the plane in the rain.
I was told it means "a Whiner" :-)

larry

"Leanne" wrote in message
I can't help but notice the Plane Captain is an "AM3" (AW), so when did

they
combine AME, AMH, and AMS ratings?

I thought the (AW) was so that he could work on the plane in the rain.

Feeling more like an "old fart" every day, definitely before my time!

Well!!!!!!!!! We know you are...

Leanne B

Old August 19th 03, 03:49 PM
Elmshoot

There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first name was
Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
"Fudge"
My call sign, "Sparky"

Old August 22nd 03, 02:12 AM
Bob McKellar

"Elmshoot" wrote in message
There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first name

was
Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
"Fudge"
My call sign, "Sparky"

A few questions about the whole call sign thingie:

1: When did it start?

2. Is there an official component to this silliness, such as a central
registry? Is it on a squadron level or higher up?

2 (A). So what about duplicates/recycling?

3. Is this a Navy/USMC only practice?

Bob McKellar

Old August 22nd 03, 05:07 AM
Elmshoot

Bob,
There is nothing official about callsigns. In WW 2 my dad was the senior naval
aviator on board the Chicago a Light Cruiser. He flew the SC-1 Seahawk from
that ship for spotting the bombardment of Japan, anyway the ships call sign was
Malicious. Each of the pilots went by the card deck. My dad was Ace, then King,
Queen and Jack for each of the 4 pilots aboard. As a tribute to my dad I lead
several flights as Malicious flight. I was Ace then each wingman in order went
as King, Queen and Jack. I'm sure the other guys had no idea what was going on.
Maybe I should have explained the significance to them. I will be burying my
dad in Arlington this November.

On Enterprise we were the set for the movie Topgun. While on cruise we finaly
had a chance to view the movie on a port call in Perth Aus. The CO of one of
the fighter squadrons (Meatball, ( due to similar physical build)) said thet
the next nugget pilot and RIO who checked int the squadron would be Maverick
and Goose.

Old August 22nd 03, 04:47 PM
Frank Minich

One of the RANs wrote up a gripe and used the term "dash" instead of
instrument panel - his handle was "Dash" from that point on.

Hugh Alcock, an AI, became "Huge".

Frank

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first

name
was Larry but I don't remember. Call sign "Fudge"

I've known a couple of "Meat" Packers.

Then there was one of our 1973 VA-95 nuggets who was known - for reasons

of
personality - as "Asshole". No punches pulled in Medium Attack.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which

the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News,

8-16-03)

Old August 23rd 03, 02:41 AM
Mike Kanze

Dick "Head" ...

One of our Dept Heads (first name Richard) was known - for a very short
time - as "Dick Dupp", or just plain "Dupp" for short. Not because of
anything he did - which was probably why it didn't last more than 2 - 3
weeks.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"C Lee" wrote...
I flew with a "Fudge" Packard and a D'jock "Strap".

"Highway" Hershey

Dick "Head" ...