Lancair Legacy

Old October 28th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joaquin

Default Lancair Legacy

Check out my Lancair Legacy at:

http://www.geocities.com/bwbpilot/

There's a link to my gyrocopter page too. Have fun. I did a test
flight today in this Lancai I flew from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe and
back in a couple hours. At 8000 feet in this normally aspirated
Continental IO-550-M, burning 13.5 gallons/hr, my TAS was right at 230
knots or 265 mph. I had Martin Heisler and Pat O'Brian help me build
it. Martin is the builder of record. The, the more I fly it the more
I love it. Once you see this website, you will realize how hard it's
going to be to part with it and go back to my RV-6 which is right at
80 mph slower and almost the same gas mileage.

This Lancair burns 13.5 gal at 265 mph or about 20 miles per gallon.
Of course I can back all that off to 11 gal/hr at about 240 mph or
21.8 miles/gal.

The RV-6 goes 185 mph with one mag replaced by Klaus's plasma.
ignition system and burns about 8 gallons through an O-320-E2D. That's
right at: 23 miles per gallon. That's hard to justify in my mind ...I
mean slow down by 55 mph to save 2 miles per gallon.

I fly the Lancair at about 22 inches, and 2350 rpm at 8000 msl to
10,000 msl. That puts me in the range of 260-270 mph TAS. Of course
you play the winds and today I was flying at 10k msl and the Garmin
430 was reading out 260 knots...right at 300 mph on 21.5 inches MP and
2400 rpm with a fuel burn of right at 13.5 gal/hr. My real mpg today
was: 22.2.

The RV-6 and the Lancair are so similar in fuel burn per mile it's a
non issue really. It's just that the RV-6 is a $60,000 airplane and
the Lancair is a $315,000 airplane, full IFR, autopilot, with all the
whistles and bells.

I love this airplane. You'll see from the webpage I spared no money
in hiring the people I did to do the interior, paint, polish the parts
and put the right instruments in it. I love that S-Tech autopilot. I
was flying it today listening to the Opra music of Evita of Argentina
as I flew over 300 miles in an hour-hands off through clouds and
rainbows over the Sierra Nevada Mountain range to Tahoe and back.

Juaqin Murrietta
Old October 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:16:08 -0700, Joaquin wrote:

[...]

Kind'a cute,hoss, but can you even see the roses much less smell 'em.

Ed Sullivan
Old October 28th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joaquin

Kind'a cute,hoss, but can you even see the roses much less smell 'em.

Ed Sullivan

Ed:
I thought you were dead.

Nope, can't smell em or see em at 15,000 msl and 300 mph. All you
smell and see is clean, clear air rammed through the vents.

BWB

Old October 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:16:08 -0700, Joaquin wrote:

Juaqin Murrietta

You may not be able to smell the roses, but I bet that leather
upholstery smells great. Beautiful airplane. Now what do you have to
buy the wife?
Old October 29th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
TigerPilot

On Oct 29, 4:37 pm, Ed Sullivan wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:16:08 -0700, Joaquin wrote:
Juaqin MurriettaYou may not be able to smell the roses, but I bet that leather

upholstery smells great. Beautiful airplane. Now what do you have to
buy the wife?

A life insurance on HIS life. :-)

Yoram

Old October 30th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl

Joaquin,

Wonder what the "average" overal MPG is for both your Lancair and RV-6
- including climbing and descending?

For example my 4 seater canard (SQ2000) does about 8gph at 200mph which
is 25mpg but the overal average is close to 20mpg - when I include
taxiing, runup, climb and descent, etc. Of course, I rarely go over 400
miles between fillups for safety.

Would a lower HP engine be more efficient overall?

Joaquin wrote:
Check out my Lancair Legacy at:

http://www.geocities.com/bwbpilot/

The above site seems to be unavailable.

http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old October 30th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Joaquin wrote:
The RV-6 and the Lancair are so similar in fuel burn per mile it's a
non issue really. It's just that the RV-6 is a $60,000 airplane and
the Lancair is a $315,000 airplane, full IFR, autopilot, with all the
whistles and bells.

How much fuel can you buy for the RV-6 at that $255,000 difference? ;-)
Old October 30th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dale Alexander

That's the same question I ask new Prius owners when I compare their pride
and joy to a 4 cylinder Camry. How would you like 100K miles of free gas?
Buy a Camry instead of that Prius.

Dale Alexander
Ex-Velocity 173 RG Elite
Hopeful RV-7A builder soon...

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .

Old October 31st 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl

Hey Bill,

Do I detect some humor here?

Most of us are concerned with general fuel savings - not just for our
own
immediate savings. But you know that higher general consumption results
in higher prices at the pumps which means the poor guys (most of us)
indirectly pay for the "enjoyment" of those with lots of money. So
let's have
prudent enjoyment.

Badwater Bill wrote:
Oh come on you guys, you can't justify any of this. These modern,
expensive airplanes are no different that owning a boat or even a Lear
Jet.

It's not a neccesity, it's not something required to enjoy life. If
you can't own it and just go burn all the gas you want to burn through
it, you shouldn't even get it. Anyway, that's the way I feel.

I didn't buy it so I could get 20 mpg out of it. It's just
interesting that I do. ...............