Lancair Legacy

Old November 9th 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

Default Lancair Legacy

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 02:58:44 GMT, "Capt.Doug"
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in message
With that high compression engine? You can't even get an STC for an
alternative fuel.

Where STCs are not a consideration, high RPMs and less than full MAP can
allow the use of autogas. Performance may take a hit, and sometimes timing

To me performance is paramount.
I'm building the G-III to go as fast as possible. Long haul and some
serious play.

I don't even run the Debonair under 75% except for maneuvers, a rough
ride, and landing. That engine IO-47N (260 HP) doesn't qualify for an
STC either. My goal is to get similar HP to the one shown in
KitPlanes this month.

must be retarded for the turbocharged engines, but it works. I ran autogas
in my first Aztec (NOT US registered!!!!!!) for years. The only difference
was that I had to turn on the boost pumps on above 7000' for vapor lock.

D.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 12th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt.Doug

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in message To me performance is paramount.
I'm building the G-III to go as fast as possible. Long haul and some
serious play.

What influenced your decision to go with the G-III as opposed to another
fast type like Lancair, Venture, or SX300?

D.

Old November 13th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:45 GMT, "Capt.Doug"
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in message To me performance is paramount.
I'm building the G-III to go as fast as possible. Long haul and some
serious play.

What influenced your decision to go with the G-III as opposed to another
fast type like Lancair, Venture, or SX300?

Wellll...When I started the G-III Lancair was relatively new, but I'd
still choose the G-III due to the aerobatic capability. It's a much
more rugged design, but I have to admit the IV, IV-P, and Legacy are
the prettiest go places airplanes built.

Venture was a great plane even if they did look a bit like a tadpole
but they weren't around long. The SX 300 is also a good traveling
plane, but as I recall the tail is a bit small. I'm even going with an
extended rudder and ventral fin for better low speed control and less
tail wag and high speed and altitude. (IF I ever get it done)

The G-III is heavy for its size and it is over engineered. I like
that. I never flew a Venture or an SX 300 but I liked the control
harmony and feel of the G-III the best. I also liked the response and
vertical penetration. I also liked the idea if I want down in a hurry
I can just roll inverted and pull. :-)) Depending on my location...

What I don't like about the older G-III kits is the amount of labor
involved. They take as much or more labor than some plans built
planes which probably makes it one of the most labor intensive kits on
the market. OTOH getting what they call a "jump start" kit which
removes a lot of hours also removes a lot of money from the budget.