Soooo, what is the best plane to build around a corvair engine?

Old November 4th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Soooo, what is the best plane to build around a corvair engine?

Well?

Old November 4th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well?

Logically, it should be a pusher . . .

Rich "Put the Force in your rear" S.

Old November 4th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave

Why don't you decide what features you want and need in an aircraft first.
Then once you have defined the mission look around for an aircraft that
fulfills that mission, fits within the price range you have in mind and that
you are capable of building and flying. Then see if it will accept a forty
year old car engine.

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well?

Old November 4th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Greg Piney

Lou wrote:
Well?

Hot off the Presses

http://corvaircruiser.com/

Old November 4th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
xorbit

Lou wrote:

Well?

Yes, the famous main bearing cracker engine.

Old November 4th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

That is the first 500lb useful load single place I've ever seen.
It would be a great 2 place.

On Nov 4, 2:51 pm, Greg Piney wrote:
Lou wrote:
Well?Hot off the Presses

http://corvaircruiser.com/

Old November 5th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Not to avoid your question, but ...

There is a lot to like about the Corvair engine(s), and also some things not
to like. I really like the idea of the 6 cylinder smoothness. However,
like the VW, you are usually starting with a very old engine. From time to
time, I have heard rumors that heads and crankcases are still made for
Corvair engines; but I have never been able to locate a source, and for me
that is sufficient discouragement. In addition, the engines were not
originally developed to turn a propeller cantelevered on the end of the
crankshaft--although there may be "workarounds" similar to the drive Steve
Wittman used or his Formula-Vee racer or to the outwardly similar "rear
drive" for the WV derived Great Plains engines. And, if you choose that
route, you might also need to design a bed-mount...

Anyway, the some of the real Corvair affectionados probably congregate
around William Wynne's web site: http://www.flycorvair.com/ and there
appears to be some discussion of airframes. There were a number of designs
back when the Corvairs were still fairly common (as cars), but the only one
that I personally recall is the KR-2. Plans are still sold, but it is only
a 2 seater if all the occupants light and of small stature. So, like all of
the homebuilts, either find one to sit in or else build a cabin mock-up
including seats and cushions before you build anything else!

I hope this helps.

Peter

Old November 5th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Settle

Basic rules.
1. horse goes in front of the cart.
2. Airframe first, engine second

Builders will consider several engines while construcitng the airframe.

Before committing to an airframe come up with the mission statement.
"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well?

Old November 5th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

On 4 Nov 2006 15:13:45 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

That is the first 500lb useful load single place I've ever seen.
It would be a great 2 place.

have a look at the sonerai
stealth Pilot

Old November 5th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

Lou wrote:
Well?

Since that engine is a natural-born assbuster, the slowest thing you
can build.

Pietenpol, maybe?