Soooo, what is the best plane to build around a corvair engine?

Old November 6th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Stewart

Default Soooo, what is the best plane to build around a corvair engine?

Lou wrote:
Well?

Personally, if I were to pick the engine first,
I'd pick a Subaru.

Old November 6th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:19:51 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On 4 Nov 2006 15:13:45 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

That is the first 500lb useful load single place I've ever seen.
It would be a great 2 place.

have a look at the sonerai

Sonerai and Sonex although I have to admit the Corvair powered
"Personal Cruiser" is a much nicer looking plane.

We have one Jabaru Powered Sonex and another group is just finishing
up a VW powered one.

I don't remember what's in the Sonerai, but I think it was a Corvair
engine. He was parked right next to the Deb in the T-hangar while he
was building it, but I don't remember for sure.

I've mentioned it before, but I think we have 17 active (under
construction) projects in our chapter at present.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 6th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

On Nov 4, 8:55 pm, "Dan Settle" wrote:
Basic rules.
1. horse goes in front of the cart.
2. Airframe first, engine second

I agree, these are basic rules. Sometimes it's good to think outside
the box. Here we have a good engine that doesn't cost
an are and a leg, so why not design a plane around it rather than
design the engine to fit the plane?
Lou

Old November 6th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

On 5 Nov 2006 09:03:52 -0800, "jls" wrote:

Lou wrote:
Well?

Since that engine is a natural-born assbuster, the slowest thing you
can build.

they are like vw conversions. up to a particular stress level the
conversion preforms admirably.
however push them past the stress level and you discover why the
continental o-200 looks distinctively different. it was designed for
the stress levels.

lou needs to research the engine conversion's history. I'm sure that
william wynne can point him to a successful style of use that the
engine can handle.

Stealth Pilot
Old November 6th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

wrote:

On 4 Nov 2006 15:13:45 -0800, "Lou" wrote:

That is the first 500lb useful load single place I've ever seen.
It would be a great 2 place.

have a look at the sonerai

Sonerai and Sonex although I have to admit the Corvair powered
"Personal Cruiser" is a much nicer looking plane.

We have one Jabaru Powered Sonex and another group is just finishing
up a VW powered one.

I don't remember what's in the Sonerai, but I think it was a Corvair
engine. He was parked right next to the Deb in the T-hangar while he
was building it, but I don't remember for sure.

I've mentioned it before, but I think we have 17 active (under
construction) projects in our chapter at present.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

the challenge for the rest of the chapter is to urge, cajole and
mollycoddle those projects to completion.

those who just sit around and urge sometimes have the hardest task :-)

damn good effort though.
Stealth Pilot
Old November 7th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

[...]

Particularly if they are spouses.;-))

Probably about half of those projects are pretty well along with at
least 3 if not 4 or 5 are in the final assembly stage. I think that
is the 90% done, 90% to go part.

There is a turbocharged Glasair III that is almost ready to fly, a
Super II that is in final assembly. The 4-passenger version of the
longEZ (can't seem to remember the name of that one) is also in final
assembly. The two Sonex are in final assembly. There are at least 7
or 8 projects already flying in addition to those 17.

damn good effort though.
Stealth Pilot

Old November 7th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well?

Have you visited William Wynne's sit www.flycorvair.com? The Zenith 601XL is
what I'm going to have dragged around by a Corvair engine.

Old November 8th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:31:25 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well?

Have you visited William Wynne's sit www.flycorvair.com? The Zenith 601XL is
what I'm going to have dragged around by a Corvair engine.

How about a Pegazair 100? (high wing taildragger STOL)

Old November 9th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 03:02:15 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote

There is a turbocharged Glasair III that is almost ready to fly, a
Super II that is in final assembly. The 4-passenger version of the
longEZ (can't seem to remember the name of that one) is also in final
assembly.

Cozy? Velocity?

That's it! Velocity. Nice looking job so far too.