Hey, Sydney!

Old May 24th 04, 03:44 PM
Dan Luke

Default Hey, Sydney!

How was your trip home from Pinckneyville? It looked like the weather
got pretty grumpy around there just after I left.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 25th 04, 02:58 AM
Snowbird

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...
How was your trip home from Pinckneyville?

Uneventful, when we made it

It looked like the weather
got pretty grumpy around there just after I left.

It did indeed. Actually it functioned as an advertisement
for your wonderous wx machine. But you done right to go
when you did. Tina and Michael left not long after you.

Shortly after you left, a line of t-storms and heavy rain
rolled through. After they passed, Rich kindly downloaded
wx and radar from duats. It looked clear back to St Louis,
so I called 'fright service' for a briefing and to file a
flight plan.

"Nonononono!" said the briefer lady. "There's a cell over
Sparta right now, part of a line from Poplar Bluff through
Farmington and on into Illinois and parts north." "Oh,
that line just went through here" say I. "Nonononono!" said
the briefer lady. "This is a second line which has just
boiled up out of nowhere. It should be at PJY in about 10
minutes complete with chance of hail, 60 mph gusts, and
tornado watch" "but..but..but..but...I just looked at a
radar picture not two minutes old and weren't none of that
there" "Nevertheless."

And so it was. That beautiful acrosport decided to beat
the storm out of PJY and fly south. Got almost to Carbondale,
was greeted by twin lightning strikes just ahead of him,
decided to do the proverbial 180. He shot down the runway,
did a high speed taxi to the hangar and a pivot, and had
friends running out to help him push his plane back into
the hangar just before the deluge came down and the fireworks
went off.

I forgot to mention the Tommy Cooper Medal, awarded to
Dave "Nauga" Hyde for dual wipeouts in the cause of aiding
humanity, er, Highflyer, er, well, being a Nice Guy.

After that line went through, though, we had a peaceful
and uneventful flight at about 2000 MSL (personally, I
think weather like that should be called "IFR not recommended"
because I really don't want to get up in a cloud and let
ATC vector me around when there might be tstorms brewing...
rather stay low and watch for rain and lightening). We were
home doing laundry and cleaning up before the next wave of
storms rolled in.

Thanks for asking, and hope you had a clear flight home.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old May 25th 04, 05:44 AM
Chip Jones

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
[snipped]

Shortly after you left, a line of t-storms and heavy rain
rolled through. After they passed, Rich kindly downloaded
wx and radar from duats. It looked clear back to St Louis,
so I called 'fright service' for a briefing and to file a
flight plan.

"Nonononono!" said the briefer lady. "There's a cell over
Sparta right now, part of a line from Poplar Bluff through
Farmington and on into Illinois and parts north." "Oh,
that line just went through here" say I. "Nonononono!" said
the briefer lady. "This is a second line which has just
boiled up out of nowhere. It should be at PJY in about 10
minutes complete with chance of hail, 60 mph gusts, and
tornado watch" "but..but..but..but...I just looked at a
radar picture not two minutes old and weren't none of that
there" "Nevertheless."

Sydney, are you saying that your obsolete, soon-to-be-privatized FAA Flight
Service Station wx briefer actually had a more acurate weather picture for
your route of flight than did your commercial online wx resources?

Chip, ZTL