Toasted my engine

Old September 23rd 05, 10:45 PM
john smith

In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

john smith wrote:

New Cessna 152's came from the factory with a Q-tip prop in 1974? 75?
This was pre-internet, so the reporting came from the regular news
sources at the time (aviation periodicals, regional newspapers, etc).
It is difficult to cite a specific source from twenty-five to thirty
years ago without a clipping in front of me.
If you haven't been around that long, don't bitch about it.
You cannot GOOGLE everything. Not everything is available on the web,
and alot of what is is of dubious credibility. :-))

Dubious credibility, indeed! Cessna didn't start making the 152 until
1978, and they never, ever delivered a 150 or 152 with a Q-tip prop.

Hence my question marks. And, yes they did deliver the 152 with a Q-tip
prop.
Cessna required flight schools in their Cessna Pilot Center program to
purchase a new aircraft every year. I hung out at a small country strip
from 1973 until 1979, so I remembered it was in that time frame.
The owner of the airport showed all of us the prop as a new feature for
that particular model year.
Old September 24th 05, 12:09 AM
Newps

john smith wrote:

Hence my question marks. And, yes they did deliver the 152 with a Q-tip
prop.

A Q tip is a constant speed prop.

Old September 24th 05, 12:36 AM
john smith

Hence my question marks. And, yes they did deliver the 152 with a Q-tip
prop.

A Q tip is a constant speed prop.

Not all of them.
Old September 24th 05, 02:23 AM
Scott Skylane

john smith wrote:

Hence my question marks. And, yes they did deliver the 152 with a Q-tip
prop.
Cessna required flight schools in their Cessna Pilot Center program to
purchase a new aircraft every year. I hung out at a small country strip
from 1973 until 1979, so I remembered it was in that time frame.
The owner of the airport showed all of us the prop as a new feature for
that particular model year.

Hmmm, not to belabor the point, But the Cessna parts catalog does not
show any prop other than the standard McCauley "gull wing" design, the
TCDS does not list any other prop than the standard McCauley, there are
no STC listings for a Q-tip installation on a 152, and in my 24 years in
the business, I've never seen nor heard of any such installation. I
suspect your memory may be failing you on this point. Perhaps someone
did a one-off field approval, but as NEWPS indicated, I don't know of
any fixed pitch Q-tips to begin with.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old September 24th 05, 04:06 AM
john smith

In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

[...]

What is the Gull Wing prop?
The prop I saw had the tip bent back maybe 1/4"-3/8".
Old September 24th 05, 05:09 AM
Dave Stadt

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

john smith wrote:

[...]

Really bad landing perhaps?

Old September 24th 05, 08:45 AM
Dale Scroggins

john smith wrote:
In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

john smith wrote:

[...]

Hartzell built Q-tip props. McCauley never did. Hartzell does not make
fixed-pitched props. Cessna 152s were delivered with fixed-pitch props.
Therefore stock Cessna 152s are extremely unlikely to have
Hartzell constant-speed Q-tip props bolted to the front of their 115-HP
Lycoming engines. They would not fit, to begin with. And they would
weigh too much.
Old September 24th 05, 03:00 PM
Newps

Dale Scroggins wrote:

Hartzell built Q-tip props. McCauley never did. Hartzell does not make
fixed-pitched props. Cessna 152s were delivered with fixed-pitch props.
Therefore stock Cessna 152s are extremely unlikely to have Hartzell
constant-speed Q-tip props bolted to the front of their 115-HP Lycoming
engines. They would not fit, to begin with. And they would weigh too
much.

Does that engine even have a pad for a governor?
Old September 25th 05, 03:14 AM
No Spam

On 9/20/05 19:28, "Bob Noel" wrote:

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

[a bunch of stuff snipped]
(S)he cannot sign off the annual inspection. 43.11 (a)(5) is quite specific
as to what has to happen when the aircraft is inspected and not found
airworthy. If you have another section of the regs that countermands this
section, please post it. Otherwise I maintain that the inspection is
neither complete nor current.

Maybe I haven't followed this thread well enough. Are you saying that
an Annual Inspection is not complete and valid if there is a list of
unairworthy items given to the owner? I don't mean to imply that the
aircraft is airworthy or "in annual", rather that the inspection was
finished and that any appropriate A&P could sign off the repair of
those unairworthy items (as appropriate), right? (In this case I'm
asking about a hypothetical case, not the specific stuff earlier in
the thread).

thanks

That's what I thought, Bob. Hopefully someone in the know will confirm this.

- Don
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will
always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci