X11 pirep

Old September 11th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts[_1_]

Default X11 pirep

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the review - I'm lookingg to buy a set next month.

Bottom line -would you:
Keep them?
Trade them?
Ask for a refund?

Thanks

Tony

In article ,
Andrey Serbinenko wrote:

Had a chance to try X11 today. First impressions, comparing to
13.4 I normally use:

1. gel pads of X11 are thinner, and they're flattened, and aren't
as tight against the head as the 13.4 ones. As a result,
passive attenuation of 13.4 is vastly superior to passive X11.

2. weight. X11 is considerably lighter, and it feels much less
bulky on the head.

3. sturdiness. X11 is all plastic, and it shows. Of course,
that's the price for the light weight. But I don't know what
it's gonna look like in five years; it seems a bit flimsy.

4. boom mike of X11 is thinner and more flexible: if in 13.4
you can swing it up just by holding the end of the boom, in
X11 you have to hold it by the root of the boom or else it'll
just bend up. Also, it is much easier to bend the
boom away accidentally, just by touching it lightly -- in 13.4
it usually stays in place.

5. volume control in X11 has no detents, and left regulator
is backwards, i.e. ccw rotation is increasing volume.

6. ENC eliminates most of the audible low-freq humming, but
adds (or makes audible) some high-freq hissing.

7. battery compartment is way too big: it dangles around too
much and gets in the way. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any
clip to attach it to anything.

8. I recorded couple of my transmissions using both headsets,
and I can't tell the difference: both mikes seem to work the same.

9. in stereo mode, com audio goes to the left ear only.

Overall, 1 and 2 make it quite a bit less fatiguing to wear
X11 for extended periods of time, compared to 13.4. With
ENC on, overall attenuation is better than 13.4, without --
significantly worse. X11 feels more comfortable, except for 4,
7, and 9.

Andrey

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old September 11th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Anyone here use both the X11 and the Bose? Aside from the cost, how to
they compare? I wish that Bose had an aux input...

--Dan

Old September 11th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

Will do. Hmm, I didn't think of it.

john smith wrote:
Andrey, make certain to send a copy of your review to DC for potential
improvements.

Old September 11th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

I would probably keep'em at least for a while. There's no question
for me that X11 is an improvement compared to 13.4 I used to use:
I don't know how the decibels compare, but the fatigue I get
after a two-three-hour flight is much less, and I think that's
important. I could sure use some opportunity to compare X11
against some other ANR headset, but there's none at the moment.

Andrey

Old September 11th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

Yeah, BTW, I find the aux port very useful in a slightly different
way than is intended by the manufacturer: instead of some music,
I plug there a small hand-held radio tuned to whatever frequency
I wish to monitor in the background -- whatever that might be,
usually Center when I'm flying VFR. X11 automatically interrupts
it when there's anything on the com channel, so it doesn't affect
communications in the way having com2 on "both" does. That's a
pretty neat feature, I'm glad they have it.

Andrey

Old September 11th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts[_1_]

Thanks - I appreciate your comments.
I guess I'll go ahead and order (thet offered me a 30 day trial)

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL