Fly-In Beer Festivals

Old March 9th 04, 05:53 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Fly-In Beer Festivals

Okay, before ANYONE says anything about how irresponsible it is for a pilot
to be (*gasp!*) drinking beer, the qualifying rules a

1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance.
2. Stay the night somewhere.
3. THEN drink beer.

Okay, that said, here are a few family events that I know of:

1. Amana Colonies "Maifest". Held every May 1st and 2nd, this is Iowa's
German Beer Festival. The Amana airport (C11) is located within easy
walking distance of the Millstream microbrewery
(http://www.millstreambrewing.com), beer tents, oompah bands (you *do*
polka, don't you?), May Pole dances, etc.
See more about it at http://www.amanacolonies.com/maps/amana.html .

2. Milwaukee's "SprecherFest". Formerly held every Labor Day, it's now a
summer festival, sponsored by the best brewery anywhere, Sprecher Brewing.
Held this year on July 16th and 17th, at Old Heidelberg Park in nearby
Glendale, WI (5 miles from downtown Milwaukee), they have oompah bands
during the day, and blues bands at night. See more about it at
http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sprecherfest.html . Timmerman Field (MWC)
is located less than ten miles away.

3. West Bend (Wisconsin's) German Fest. Held in downtown West Bend, this
VERY German community really rolls out the authentic food, beer, and music.
This year it will be held August 27th - 29th. (No website, sadly.) The
West Bend Airport (ETB) is a marvelous, friendly little airport, with rental
and courtesy cars available.

Those are the three good ones Mary and I know about. Can you add some more?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 9th 04, 05:56 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Okay, before ANYONE says anything about how irresponsible it is for a pilot
to be (*gasp!*) drinking beer, the qualifying rules a

1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance.
2. Stay the night somewhere.
3. THEN drink beer.

Actually, I would prefer to do my drinking *before* staying the night somewhere.

"Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore".

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 9th 04, 05:59 PM
Peter R.

G.R. Patterson III ) wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Okay, before ANYONE says anything about how irresponsible it is for a pilot
to be (*gasp!*) drinking beer, the qualifying rules a

1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance.
2. Stay the night somewhere.
3. THEN drink beer.

Actually, I would prefer to do my drinking *before* staying the night somewhere.

Damn... you beat me to it!

--
Peter

Old March 9th 04, 07:09 PM
Kyler Laird

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Okay, before ANYONE says anything about how irresponsible it is for a pilot
to be (*gasp!*) drinking beer, the qualifying rules a

1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance.
2. Stay the night somewhere.
3. THEN drink beer.

Whew! For a moment there I thought you were going to advocate binge
drinking without a good night's rest.

It's good to see that you're being so responsible.

--kyler
Old March 9th 04, 08:32 PM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
Okay, before ANYONE says anything about how irresponsible it is for a pilot
to be (*gasp!*) drinking beer, the qualifying rules a

1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance.
2. Stay the night somewhere.
3. THEN drink beer.

That should be:
1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance
2. Drink beer
3. THEN stay the night somewhere

2. Milwaukee's "SprecherFest". Formerly held every Labor Day, it's now a
summer festival, sponsored by the best brewery anywhere, Sprecher Brewing.
Held this year on July 16th and 17th, at Old Heidelberg Park in nearby
Glendale, WI (5 miles from downtown Milwaukee), they have oompah bands
during the day, and blues bands at night. See more about it at
http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sprecherfest.html . Timmerman Field (MWC)
is located less than ten miles away.

Too bad it is not the weekend immediately preceeding AirVenture.
It would make an excellent one-day stopover enroute to The Big Event.

Old March 9th 04, 10:27 PM
Ben Smith

The Oak Creek Community Center has a 'Septembeerfest'.

http://www.occenter.com/events/septbeer.htm

5 miles each way from MKE though. But if the plan is to stay
overnight - there's a Raddison at the corner of Howell and Layton. (Which
is walking distance from Signature) From the money you hand over to
Raddison, Signature, or both, you should be able to get a free ride to
Septembeerfest.

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old March 9th 04, 10:57 PM
Jay Honeck

The Oak Creek Community Center has a 'Septembeerfest'.

http://www.occenter.com/events/septbeer.htm

At last -- someone with a beer festival to add!

Thanks, Ben.

Anymore, ladies and gentlemen?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 9th 04, 10:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Uhhh, Jay...Lakefront Brewery is better IMHO.

Have you been there?

Nope, but it's on my list of things to do next time I'm in MKE.

How long have they been around?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 9th 04, 11:20 PM
Bob Martin

Kyler Laird wrote in message ...
"Jay Honeck" writes:

Okay, before ANYONE says anything about how irresponsible it is for a pilot
to be (*gasp!*) drinking beer, the qualifying rules a

1. Fly in to a nearby airport -- preferably within walking distance.
2. Stay the night somewhere.
3. THEN drink beer.

Whew! For a moment there I thought you were going to advocate binge
drinking without a good night's rest.

It's good to see that you're being so responsible.

--kyler

I don't think he meant for those to be in chronological order, but
rather as a set of conditions. IE:

First, it must be a fly in.

Second, you must stay the night.

Third, if the first two conditions are provided, you may then drink
beer.
Old March 10th 04, 04:37 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Ben Smith wrote:
The Oak Creek Community Center has a 'Septembeerfest'.

I'd hate to break it to them that the real Wies'n occurs
mostly in September. Wies'n is the local/real name
for Oktoberfest in Munich and lasts 2 weeks with it ending
the first weekend in October so it is mostly in september.

To keep it related to aviation, there is a very small GS airport
in Rosenheim south of Munich that has an awesome Volksfest a
month or so before Wies'n.

Gerald