Laptop GPS/map software

Old March 24th 05, 04:39 PM

Default Laptop GPS/map software

Last year at the Hobbs Region 9 contest the CM used a PC program for
providing driving directions to crews based on GPS coordinates reported
by wayward pilots. Can someone tell me what software that was?

I need to get something like that for me and crew to use (PC based),
with the additional feature that after giving it a latitude/longitude
destination, it will give you driving directions, dynamically, based on
your current GPS position (as opposed to a set of static directions
that end with "Rotsa Ruck").

ted/2NO

Old March 24th 05, 04:59 PM
Jay (3D)

Ted,

The DeLorme Earthmate GPS system used with DeLorme Street Atlas 2005
Delux will allow you to do exactly what you are looking for. It will
provide driving directions based on a lat/long entry, updated on the
crews current GPS position and will give voice commands and respond to
voice commands as well. For $129.95 you get the GPS and Street Atlas
with USB interface to your laptop. $159.95 gets you the same stuff with
a serial interface. My wife and I have been using it for several years
now and love it - and no ... I don't work for DeLorme.

Jay

Old March 24th 05, 05:04 PM

Thanks Jay. Do you know if the software is available by itself? I have
no less than 3 GPS receivers (one each Bluetooth, serial, and USB), and
don't need to collect any more. -Ted

Old March 24th 05, 05:42 PM
Jay (3D)

Ted,

The Street Atlas is available by itself for $49.95. I suspect but am
not sure that is is propriatary with the Earthmate and won't work with
other GPS inputs. You should be able to find all the info you need on
their website http://www.delorme.com/ or by contacting them directly.

Jay

Old March 24th 05, 05:52 PM
John Scott

I use Street Atlas on both my laptop and iPAQ with other non-Delorme GPS
units. In fact I bought an iPAQ mount for my dash, for just this reason.
It holds the iPaq up next to the steering wheel where I (or my wife) can see
it easily without completly looking away from the road.

John Scott

oups.com...

Old March 24th 05, 05:53 PM

MS Streets and Trips can be had at Costco very cheap (especially last
year's). It will give directions from where you are, and as I recall,
will also accept hand entered lat long as a waypoint. I use an old
Garmin with remote antenna. A nice application for an otherwise useless
gps. Total cost not including laptop, about $50.

I also keep a copy of Delorme Contour Maps just in case I want
landscape detail. More for amusement than anything practical. Another
$125.

Old March 24th 05, 06:17 PM
Jay (3D)

I do stand corrected - from the DeLorme site:
"For GPS Use:

DeLorme Earthmate=AE, GpsTripmate=AE, or any fully-compatible NMEA
receiver from GARMIN, Magellan, Brunton, Rockwell/Conexant,
Lowrance/Eagle, or Trimble.

Looks as though Street Atlas will work with just about anything.

Jay

Old March 24th 05, 06:29 PM

I already own MS Street & Trips but I cannot find any way to give it a
latitude/longitude as a destination. I've poked, prodded and hacked
through every menu, feature and control I can find...

Old March 24th 05, 06:34 PM
John Scott

I think you may have to insert a random waypoint, then edit the info for
that waypoint to set the lat/long. Then you can use the waypoint as the
destination and have a route plotted.

This is the process I have to use with StreetAtlas on my iPAQ.

John Scott

oups.com...

Old March 24th 05, 06:48 PM

Mapopolis on your iPaq with CF GPS or ????

www.mapopolis.com software free, charge for maps

Voiced directions.

Find - Latitude/Longitude is a menu item, it adds a waypoint and voices
left/right etc,. very neat.

Great for strange cities....

Bob