Upgrading panel

Old January 30th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colten Coughlin

Default Upgrading panel

Hello!
I am looking to upgrade the panel in my 1-26, I am mainly looking for a audio vario, and a flight computer. I have been recommended a 302 or lxnav Vario, and a oudie flight computer. I would possibly still be open to other options as well though. If you or someone you know has anything for sale, if you could let me know that would be great!
Thank you!
Colten Coughlin
Old January 30th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 8:01:29 PM UTC-8, Colten Coughlin wrote:
Hello!
I am looking to upgrade the panel in my 1-26, I am mainly looking for a audio vario, and a flight computer. I have been recommended a 302 or lxnav Vario, and a oudie flight computer. I would possibly still be open to other options as well though. If you or someone you know has anything for sale, if you could let me know that would be great!
Thank you!
Colten Coughlin

I have a borgelt B400 i am willing to sell if interested, perfect working condition. Just took it out and replaced with an LXNav S100 :-)
Old January 30th 20, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chuck patterso

Hi Colten,
I have a 302 for sale.
I can be reached at chuckpilotataoldotcom.
Regards,
Chuck
Old January 30th 20, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:01:29 PM UTC-5, Colten Coughlin wrote:
Hello!
I am looking to upgrade the panel in my 1-26, I am mainly looking for a audio vario, and a flight computer. I have been recommended a 302 or lxnav Vario, and a oudie flight computer. I would possibly still be open to other options as well though. If you or someone you know has anything for sale, if you could let me know that would be great!
Thank you!
Colten Coughlin

Cambridge 302 + 303 Nav display for sale. Recently serviced with GPS replacement/upgrade. Correct date and valid IGC log files, everything works as new.

Evan Ludeman / T8 (reply to author)
Old January 30th 20, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:01:29 PM UTC-5, Colten Coughlin wrote:
Hello!
I am looking to upgrade the panel in my 1-26, I am mainly looking for a audio vario, and a flight computer. I have been recommended a 302 or lxnav Vario, and a oudie flight computer. I would possibly still be open to other options as well though. If you or someone you know has anything for sale, if you could let me know that would be great!
Thank you!
Colten Coughlin

You can't go wrong with the 302/303 display.

At this time, the price is appealing, too...

Gary
Old January 30th 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Colton
The CAI 302 + 303 display is a fantastic value. Connect it to a Oudie and your all set.
You have to be able to "talk" to it using the CAI Utility software.
This is to put in setting and waypoints.
I used to be able to do this with SeeYou Mobile Connect, from the Oudie, but for some reason I cannot anymore.
I have the CAI Utility software and waypoint files stored on a older hand held computer, a device called a Ipaq. This goes into a cradle that plugs into the 302.
I know this sounds daunting, and the first time it is. But all this stuff is Cheap. And when working, works great.
You can easily configure the 302 to use a probe for TE or Electronic TE.
I recommend trying both ways over time, one way or another might work better with your ship.
Good Luck
Fly Safe in 2020

Old January 30th 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 10:01:29 PM UTC-6, Colten Coughlin wrote:
Hello!
I am looking to upgrade the panel in my 1-26, I am mainly looking for a audio vario, and a flight computer. I have been recommended a 302 or lxnav Vario, and a oudie flight computer. I would possibly still be open to other options as well though. If you or someone you know has anything for sale, if you could let me know that would be great!
Thank you!
Colten Coughlin

I flew for years with the Cambridge 302 and an Oudie - a great combination. I also flew with a 302 and an iPaq - a cheaper, but not as good, of a combination.

The 302 is a great inexpensive older electronic vario, IGC recorder, and speed to fly computer. Repair is still available through Gary Kammerer.

The Oudie (SeeYou mobile) directly with the 302 with the included cabling talks. All Oudies (except the IGC model) has an "automotive" grade GPS engine but the 302 provides its much better "aviation" grade GPS data. As the 302 is an approved FAI flight recorder the Oudie comes with a utility to download the IGC file to its memory. The 302 also supplies wind data to SeeYou mobile.

The Oudie is obviously highly portable to take home and play with. Early on I would suction cup (comes with the Oudie) it to my car's dash and try out the highly customizable features.

Some last Oudie comments;

- Go with the Oudie 2 or Oudie IGC if for no other reason than the much brighter screen.
- When making changes to the configuration always create a new profile (stored on the Oudie's memory). In this way you can "recover" to an earlier profile if you screw up. And/or have multiple profiles for when you travel to other glider ports.
- The Oudie easily connects to your computer to retrieve IGC flight logs. This also allows you to back up your profiles, not to mention sharing profiles with other soaring pilots.
- The non-IGC Oudie's battery doesn't last very long. Best to route ship's power to it via the supplied cabling. Or use an external USB charger/battery.

All in all the 302 and the Oudie is a great combo.

My $0.02. Good luck.

- John OHM Ω
Old January 30th 20, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Colton
If your getting your 1-26 ready for xc and this years championships, let me share some of my advise. I flew records and the 1-26 championships last year simply with a 302 and an oudie igc. I didnot bother trying to load tasks into the 302, it simply functioned as a good vario. I used the oudie exclusively for working the task, recording the task, and giving me final glide info.

It is very easy to create a task in the oudie and to upload competition turnpoint sets as well as downloading the flight data after your done. You should however be sure to have some aux power going to the oudie. I simply had a cig plug aux 12v receptical mounted below my panel which with a splitter kept the oudie charged and also my cell phone. You can also get the adapter cable which connects the oudie to the 302 which will also supply power to the oudie but it is not required, if you just want to use the oudie stand alone for all your navigation and task info.
Dan
Old January 30th 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 10:38:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The 302 5VDC output has a maximum capacity of (iirc, check the manual) 900 mA. If you exceed this, you will overheat your 302 and cause problems, perhaps problems requiring expensive repairs. Almost any device can/will exceed 900 mA when charging, some by quite a lot.

I recommend strongly against using 302 as a 5V power source for this reason, it's just too easy to screw it up.

T8
Old January 30th 20, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I saw a refurbished Dell Streak 5 on eBay for under $60.Â* The Sony
Experia Z3 is also a very good platform (Android) and can be had for
significantly less than a purpose built soaring computer.Â* And XCSoar,
LK8000, and Tophat soaring software are...Â* FREE.

--
Dan, 5J