Non-published hold with Garmin 430W

Old November 25th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Evan Salant

Default Non-published hold with Garmin 430W

There's not a lot in the user's manual about how to set up a non-
published hold using the Garmin 430W. Lets say you are on a
flightplan with SBJ VOR as one of your waypoints and ATC needs you to
hold on the SBJ 160 radial right hand turns one minute legs. Is
there anything to simplify this other than setting up direct to the
VOR and using the OBS button and setting the OBS indicator on 340
degrees (inbound heading) ? Any other tricks ?

Thanks,

Evan
Old November 25th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Nov 25, 8:24*am, Evan Salant wrote:
There's not a lot in the user's manual about how to set up a non-
published hold using the Garmin 430W. *Lets say you are on a
flightplan with SBJ VOR as one of your waypoints and ATC needs you to
hold on the SBJ *160 radial right hand turns one minute legs. *Is
there anything to simplify this other than setting up direct to the
VOR and using the OBS button and setting the OBS indicator on 340
degrees (inbound heading) ? *Any other tricks ?

Thanks,

Evan

Never done this myself Evan, but if I had to think on the "fly"
literally and figuratively, can you set up a "flight plan" of SBJ to
SBJ160002 in the flight plan option of the 430 (I don't have the W
flavor but this shouldn't be a factor)

Going on memory, SBJ is the VOR, 160 is the radial and 002 is the
miles out on the 160 radial (2 miles a minute) I believe you can set
up the 430 with radials and DME but I haven't done this in the
practical world. If my concept is right at least the length of the
outbound track will be displayed on the map display.