SSA Conventions. Return to every year?

Old February 23rd 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default SSA Conventions. Return to every year?

Seeing old friends, making new friends and putting faces to names in this age of sterile social media communication is a reason why the SSA Directors might consider a return to the annual SSA Conventions of the past. Just because you might be my "friend" on Facebook doesn't necessarily mean that we know each other. (No emoji required here.)
When is the last time we spoke with mentors like Paul Schweizer, Dick Johnson, or German pioneer Peter Riedel? Was it at the annual SSA Convention? It's not all about the preferences of the vendors, it's also about the PEOPLE!
With the aging out of our members, let's consider a return the annual SSA Conventions. Perhaps a mini-convention in the "off" years may be an option, like the fantastic "Soaring Symposium" series offered in the past by Ed Byars and Bill Holbrook. Many of you may not know these names but they were important people in the history of the SSA. Yes, I'd volunteer to help make it happen.
Old February 24th 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

+1 for the Soaring Symposia! As a young pilot, I learned a lot at these. Perhaps regional symposia?
Old February 24th 20, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderGuy

What Burt said.
Old February 24th 20, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 5:03:39 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
[...]

Agreed:

http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/soaring_symposia/
Old February 24th 20, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not sure how its working out for AOPA, but they have changed there format from one annual to several regional flyins.I attended (displayed my glider) at one in Prescott two years ago. That might be a idea for the off years, east west north south making travel alittle easier.

Cliff Hilty (CH) ASW27
Old February 24th 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 4:03:39 PM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
....let's consider a return the annual SSA Conventions. Perhaps a mini-convention in the "off" years may be an option, like the fantastic "Soaring Symposium" series offered in the past by Ed Byars and Bill Holbrook. Many of you may not know these names but they were important people in the history of the SSA. Yes, I'd volunteer to help make it happen.

Bert, I was told when we went to biennial conventions that the (overseas) manufacturers could no longer justify an annual expedition across the pond.
Obviously, a convention without a show floor was incomprehensible to the committee that made the decision.

But I -- and surely others -- do not go to the convention to gawk at equipment-candy. I have always gone for the education, for catching up with soaring friends, and for the stories (20 years ago, the local sponsoring club usually collected a bunch of geezers and sponsored a story-telling track that was always fantastic, and that went away with National Management of the convention).

Would a convention focused on learning, stories, history, friends, and new developments be well attended? I can only speak for myself...

DrDan
Old February 24th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 24/02/2020 15:20, danlj wrote:

Bert, I was told when we went to biennial conventions that the (overseas) manufacturers could no longer justify an annual expedition across the pond.
Obviously, a convention without a show floor was incomprehensible to the committee that made the decision.

A comment from afar as I'm in the UK.

The major European/International Aero exhibition held at Friedrichshafen
in Germany every year used to be every two years but switched to every
year a while back. At that point then at least DG, Schleicher and
Schemp-Hirth decided to only attend every two years even though the show
is every year.

If these manufacturers only attend such a major exhibition in their own
country every two years then I'm sure they would be happy to attend the
SSA convention every two years even if it was an annual event given all
the other things happening which would be useful to the membership.

--

Nick Hill
Old February 24th 20, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

After a good amount of feedback from exhibitors, the SSA BOD elected to move to a full convention every other year. The expectation was that more local events would fill the gap. That has not come about.
There was one attempt at a more modest convention in Philadelphia that had table top displays and a full speaker list. A snow storm did not help attendance.
There is a lot to be said for this concept. No big convention center is needed. Any big hotel can be a site.
Maybe this concept should be revisited.
FWIW
UH
Old February 24th 20, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

See http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar.
Held every other year opposite the SSA convention years. Next event in 2021.

Old February 24th 20, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S9

There is a lot to be said for this concept. No big convention center is needed. Any big hotel can be a site.
Maybe this concept should be revisited.
FWIW
UH

A large hotel with multiple rooms for presentations would be a great venue.

+1