A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Outlanding Award - Feedback Requested

Old August 12th 13, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jamie Shore
external usenet poster

Default Outlanding Award - Feedback Requested

For a few years now, the Soaring Club of Houston (scoh.org), has had an award called the "Brick" award that gave a trophy for the most out-landings in a year. We are now considering retiring the "Brick" and changing the scope of the award. We want the new trophy to reflect proper planning and execution when landing out rather than just recognizing a high land out rate.

We would love to hear any constructive criticism that you might have. This new award philosophy is very much in its infancy - we are looking for your feedback in this early stage.

Please view the ROUGH DRAFT:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Jamie Shore
Soaring Club of Houston
scoh.org
Old August 12th 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 12, 2013 5:59:44 AM UTC-7, Jamie Shore wrote:
For a few years now, the Soaring Club of Houston (scoh.org), has had an award called the "Brick" award that gave a trophy for the most out-landings in a year. We are now considering retiring the "Brick" and changing the scope of the award. We want the new trophy to reflect proper planning and execution when landing out rather than just recognizing a high land out rate.

We would love to hear any constructive criticism that you might have. This new award philosophy is very much in its infancy - we are looking for your feedback in this early stage.

Thanks,

Jamie Shore

Soaring Club of Houston

scoh.org

Nobody wants to get that award! Better to recognize the Best Crewing Award each year.
Old August 12th 13, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

This is a great idea. If you spend any time at all looking at landout logs from contests, you see atrocious off field landings. Thermaling at 175 feet ( yes, there is a log from a contest this year with such), straight in landings, "patterns" at 42 knots. Celebrating properly executed off field landings is a great idea.

How about the pile of coal prize for the worst log? Strip out the pilot and glider identifier and send in the log that most exemplifies how not to do it.

John Cochrane
Old August 12th 13, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 12, 2013 8:28:28 AM UTC-5, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Monday, August 12, 2013 5:59:44 AM UTC-7, Jamie Shore wrote:

Thanks,

Jamie Shore

Soaring Club of Houston

scoh.org

Nobody wants to get that award! Better to recognize the Best Crewing Award each year.

speak for yourself JJ

I thought the Brick was pretty cool myself. If only my club had that I'd have a whole mantle full of bricks. Might have to reinforce the Mantle...

Draft looks interesting Jamie. I like what you're trying to do. Judging might prove difficult!
Old August 12th 13, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 12, 2013 7:28:28 AM UTC-6, JJ Sinclair wrote:

Nobody wants to get that award! Better to recognize the Best Crewing Award .....

Jamie,
Im with JJ on this one 100%. Your "Brick" award blows and here's why; Every year the pilots who fly the most XC KM will probably win the award. I'm on track to win such an award (If my group had one) or at least tie for it, and yet I have had a year filled with personal bests. I get to put up with comments all the time (And don't get me wrong, I fully realize most of it is good natured hazing) some of which come from pilots who never leave gliding distance of the home field. Here again, I fully realize some pilots get fulfillment out of the sport at this level and if a pilot gets enjoyment out of flagpole sitting year after year more power to him but these are some of the people that I have heard put up the harshest criticism. That said, it always warms my heart when I pick up the phone a never have a problem getting help with a retrieve. Ditch the award. You can come up with something better.

Old August 12th 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 12, 2013 8:59:44 AM UTC-4, Jamie Shore wrote:

Thanks,

Jamie Shore

Soaring Club of Houston

scoh.org

Don't retire the brick, I love it.
Old August 13th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster

On 8/12/2013 6:59 AM, Jamie Shore wrote:
For a few years now, the Soaring Club of Houston (scoh.org), has had an
award called the "Brick" award that gave a trophy for the most out-landings
in a year. We are now considering retiring the "Brick" and changing the
scope of the award. We want the new trophy to reflect proper planning and
execution when landing out rather than just recognizing a high land out
rate.

We would love to hear any constructive criticism that you might have. This
new award philosophy is very much in its infancy - we are looking for your
feedback in this early stage.

Thanks, Jamie Shore Soaring Club of Houston scoh.org

Heh. Everyone's a critic! Personally, I'd vote for both awards...but don't
overthink either one.

Bob W.
Old August 13th 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Mon
Thanks,

Jamie Shore
that positive performance
Soaring Club of Houston

scoh.org

In the early days of the Sports Class Nationals a deceased pilots family donated a "Perseverance Trophy", in memory of their father who always tried and never quit, but usually ended up on the bottom of the score sheet. Nice thought, but who wants to be recognized as the one who really tried and couldn't hack it? I believe the trophy was awarded only once and the precipitant stuffed it in a trash can.
I concluded from the above that poor performance should not be highlighted and recognition should be given to good actions like Best Crew of the year or Most interesting retrieve, etc. Recognizing a really good land-out is highlighting an unsuccessful event. We set forth to complete the assigned task, not to do a really good job of failing to do so.
JJ
Old August 13th 13, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Swagemakers[_2_]
external usenet poster

There was an outlanding competition in germany for many years which has been discontinued for a while now. There were two categories. Best outlanding story and most outlandings. The idea originated in a statement in Helmut Reichmann's book saying that you should plan tasks to your maximum abilities and take into account regular outlandings. Thats basically saying if your not landing out regularly your not pushing hard enough. From this perspective a prize for a lot of outlandings is not a poor pilots award. It is rather a promotion of outlandings being part of the game and encouraging pilots to readily take into account an off field landing.

I have seen a few pilots who feel that an outlanding is an embarrassing failure. Thats absolute nonsense. A lot of world class pilots got there by countless outlandings.
Old August 14th 13, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_1_]
external usenet poster

My UK club used to award a Lead 'C' in line with the Silver and Gold 'C',
but recognising an ability to not go distance and still land out, not
sure what the exact criterion where... in fact I think the point was
there was no criterion... it was a committee decision... for fun, and in
jest.

Peter

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 05:59:44 -0700, Jamie Shore wrote:

For a few years now, the Soaring Club of Houston (scoh.org), has had an
award called the "Brick" award that gave a trophy for the most
out-landings in a year. We are now considering retiring the "Brick" and
changing the scope of the award. We want the new trophy to reflect
proper planning and execution when landing out rather than just
recognizing a high land out rate.

We would love to hear any constructive criticism that you might have.
This new award philosophy is very much in its infancy - we are looking
for your feedback in this early stage.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...af6x3QG5FxZgH-

eEc0fV2-k/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Jamie Shore Soaring Club of Houston scoh.org