Tow rope musings - informal survey

Old March 7th 19, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tow rope musings - informal survey

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 2:00:13 PM UTC-5, CindyB wrote:
IFR in dust..... peek alternately at your wingtips. If you learn to use your neck vertebrae in general to turn your personal nose, and leave the glider nose on track, you will find you can see LATERALLY quite well and keep tips level. There will be naysayers this heresy, but my students can do this. When they subsequently hear tales of 'thought I was gonna die', they slant eyeballs to me, and grin. This works for knowing level on takeoffs. It also works for peeking at tips on landings. It allows us to know how low you can place that windward tip toward earth on honking crosswind landings, or taxiing tips over obstructions. Oh....this was about ropes. 215' of hollowbraid 3/8 poly on dirt/pavement. We put both style rings on the glider end, no adapter chasing hunting. Retire after one end has been shortened maybe twice. Subjective retirement....I know. No unscheduled failures.

I like looking to the sides (wingtips) at times, but apparently that's a controversial idea. Years ago I got scolded by an instructor (in a "Cezzna") when I looked sideways to gauge the height above the runway in the landing roundout. I guess for some people that may induce unintended motions in the hand holding the control stick/yoke. But perhaps it only needs practice.. I certainly rubberneck on my bicycle, without affecting the steering. And in a gaggle this is a necessary skill.
Old March 7th 19, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Try landing a Pitts Special without looking to the side. Who knows where you'll end up?
Old March 7th 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 12:03:29 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
You may "see" the appeal of it, but believe me, actually seeing the tug almost on top of you is far less appealing. It's a handful!

Having done a couple of IFR takeoffs 200 ft behind a Pawnee out of western US dirt strips, I can see the appeal of it!

Kirk
66

I also disagree. I flew a lot in dual tow formation early in life, including aero retrieves from far away airports. Flying in the 1st position on dual tow for 90 min is not difficult, it requires discipline and training. I am sure you would be fine after 10 tows if you received appropriate training.

she will essentially confess informal and benefits our rapid, mature entitys in charge of a wall Robbie Piloting 0 August 13th 07 11:21 PM
Winter Musings Ray Lovinggood Soaring 0 December 3rd 06 02:28 PM
Report of Oct. '04 SSA Director's Mtg - informal Caracole Soaring 2 November 7th 04 06:32 AM
Informal Survey... john smith Piloting 21 September 21st 04 02:40 AM
Fwd: Informal Tonopah Flying Ramy Yanetz Soaring 0 June 10th 04 07:40 PM