Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Old October 1st 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I'm sick and tired of reading about glider crashes and never knowing what actually happened. We badly need to be able to learn from the misfortune of our soaring compadres.

The obvious answer is that we all have a camera mounted over our right shoulder that will simultaneously monitor the scene out the front canopy, monitor the panel instruments and monitor the pilot's flight inputs. Such a camera would be effective even if operating at a low frame rate -- perhaps something like 5 frames/sec. With today's technology such a unit could be quite small and the cost would be reasonable. The camera automatically goes on when flight is detected and off when flight stops by any of several easy detection means. Flight video would be logged to a micro SD that is looped over after some number of hours: 10 hours, 24 hours, whatever.

The only technological challenge would be making such a recorder fireproof. The latest horrible crash did ignite an incinerating fire. But fires are a rarity in glider accidents. Step one could be a video logger that does not necessarily address fireproofing.

How can we make this happen? Clearly individuals will not be highly motivated to go out and buy one since they are unlikely to personally benefit from their own camera. It needs to be somehow mandated. I would hate to look to the government for a mandate as it would take too long among other issues.. How about a mandate from SSA? Contests? Clubs? OLC? or tow operators? Every glider needs to have a video logger running on every flight.

One other sociological factor would be that there not be discrimination allowed on the release of the data. The data needs to be available for anyone and everyone to analyze upon its retrieval. Pilots, attorneys, widows, government entities and insurance companies should not have say in that matter. We need to think up a good solution to that. Maybe the pilot doesn't actually own the logger and media. Maybe the SSA owns the logger and leases them on condition of data availability upon any reportable accident.

No more mysteries! We need to know what is causing our accidents so we have a chance to fix the problems.
Old October 1st 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 4:06:02 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
[...]

Agree, but as an intermediate step, lets all set our loggers to 1 fix/sec instead of the 1 fix every 12 seconds as it was common years ago. Memory has become cheap! Also, lets make the loggers somewhat crash-worthy. I am not asking for it to survive g-forces, fire and deep ocean immersion like the 'Black-Box' of an airliner but maybe it could be made a bit more intelligent by making it able to detect a spin and then speed up the logging rate.

Uli
'AS'
Old October 1st 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Automotive dashcams are pretty decent today and not too expensive.

But, looking over my shoulder, weigh benefit vs. issues.

I am not saying yes or no, what I am saying is run this through SSA and AOPA legal BEFORE jumping up and down too hard.
Let GA aviation legal peeps weigh in first, give us ideas, pluses and minuses.
Let users, weigh in.

Then, and ONLY then, "maybe" involve regulatory/government types.
Think of the comments regarding ADS-B mandate, gliders are currently exempt in most cases. I shudder to think of costs to marginal sites if the FAA said we were no longer exempt in most cases.

Yes, some of us would be safer. Then again, some of that would be because you just lost pilots and clubs/operations.

I am NOT disagreeing.
Yes, it can be fairly cheap per ship.

ADSB is more expensive, but likely to have more positive impact, but still a lot of negative attitude.
Accident investigation is a minor percentage of glider flights.
While nice, and less expensive, please keep regulatory peeps out until aviation legal EXPERTS can weigh I .

What I will say, I would volunteer to send a link to this thread to AOPA Legal. Not only am I a member, but I pay extra for the legal aspect (since I have flown as commercial glider for decades, was CFIG for 8 years, just covering my skinney butt.).
We can see what an aviation legal expert suggests.

HmmmmmK?
Old October 1st 18, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Is it April 1st already?

There is no way a camera will be in my cockpit, car, home, bathroom, you
name it, without my consent.Â* And I don't care what "safety" terms you
couch it in.Â* That's simply idiotic.

You're have the absolutely right to give up your privacy, but not mine.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 2nd 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 2:38:26 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is it April 1st already?

There is no way a camera will be in my cockpit, car, home, bathroom, you
name it, without my consent.Â* And I don't care what "safety" terms you
couch it in.Â* That's simply idiotic.

You're have the absolutely right to give up your privacy, but not mine.

Dan,

I'm a bit of a privacy freak too. Yet, I'm only talking about giving up my privacy when I have a reportable accident. Consider that it's already in the natural working of our society that we give up a whole lot of privacy when we have a serious accident.

And as you weigh such things, please consider your overall personal cost to benefit. We really need to start getting to the bottom of all these damn accidents. You may be the very person that has the next Stemme accident because it was never actually determined why Glider Bob crashed his Stemme. It just might have been a mechanical problem or a controllability problem that could have been determined had a video been available.
Old October 2nd 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Cameras haven't been mandated in airline cockpits, so don't expect them to be mandated for gliders. It's obvious that a rule like that would be enacted to protect the public on airliners long before our miniscule risk to the public is considered.The FAA won't touch it any more than they would require cameras in training aircraft, which do thousands more operations each day than we do in gliders.

Looking for data, the latest I found was for 2015 where there were 378 GA fatalities. Our losses in the glider community just don't reach a threshold that would trigger any action by the FAA like requiring cameras or pseudo-flight recorders (hardened loggers.) Any changes will be voluntary on our part.

Insurance companies could offer discount incentives for better recorders or cameras, but it would be completely voluntary. The pushback reasons are obvious...

Paul A.
Old October 2nd 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

I agree, Paul. There needs to be a mandate from within -- not from the FAA.

I agree also that insurance rate incentives might be a great angle to help make it happen.
Old October 2nd 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Steve you need to move to China or Russia. I am sure they will be happy to implement your idea. If you give away your freedoms in the mame of safety you will end up with neither. You sound like a politician who knows best what’s good for us. It is people like you that we need to protect ourselves from. If you want to give your friedoms away do so but keep your hands off my freedom.
Old October 2nd 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm not filming my own death so you can delude your coward self into thinking you can avoid the same fate. You can't. Accept the risk or stay home. Must be winter the 'we need this rule to be safe' crowd are at it again.
Old October 2nd 18, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 9:56:38 AM UTC+10, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Steve you need to move to China or Russia. I am sure they will be happy to implement your idea. If you give away your freedoms in the mame of safety you will end up with neither. You sound like a politician who knows best what’s good for us. It is people like you that we need to protect ourselves from. If you want to give your friedoms away do so but keep your hands off my freedom.

Freedom? China or Russia? You do realise that the US National Security Agency spies on every single phone call, email and text message transmitted through your country (and most of the UK's)?

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their
organisation.