Hood and sim work at night loggable as night time?

Old September 8th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Garret

Default Hood and sim work at night loggable as night time?

My instructor claims that when you fly under the hood at night you can't
log it as night time, only as simulated instrument time. Is he right?
I can't find anything in the FARs to support his assertion.

What about simulator time at night? Can you log that as night time?

rg
Old September 8th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Ron Garret wrote:
My instructor claims that when you fly under the hood at night you can't
log it as night time, only as simulated instrument time. Is he right?
I can't find anything in the FARs to support his assertion.

He's wrong. Night / Day are independent of Instrument conditions.

What about simulator time at night? Can you log that as night time?

That's a different issue. I suspect that if it is a true SIMULATOR
(i.e. one of those full motion jet types) you might be able to count
it. However, a "training device" that we normally use for GA training
wouldn't count for anything that "night time" logging would be useful
and they don't really give a day/night presentation. Are you going
to log it because you did your simulator work after sundown or because
the clock on the simulator was set to midnight?
Old September 8th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Log day/night if you're in an airplane. Log simulator if
you're in a simulator. Log hood/simulated instrument in an
airplane.

m...

Old September 8th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Jim Macklin wrote
Log day/night if you're in an airplane. Log simulator if
you're in a simulator. Log hood/simulated instrument in an
airplane.

Jim, did you mean to say "Log actual/simulated" in an airplane?

Bob Moore
Old September 8th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

probably, but it is early in the morning and I have not yet
eaten.

. 122...

Old September 8th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with Ron that you can log both.

Of course you can. How could you log the night landings without logging
night flight?
Old September 8th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

Do you land under the hood?

You do not land in IMC, either.
Either under the hood or in actual conditions, you fly a approach and
land visually.
Old September 8th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

john smith schrieb:

Do you land under the hood?

You do not land in IMC, either.

I did land under the hood. My instructor used to talk me down. Both of
us thought it was fun.

Stefan
Old September 8th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

T o d d P a t t i s t schrieb:

I did land under the hood.

Was it at night?

I didn't see it, I was under the hood.
Old September 8th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Was it at night?

I didn't see it, I was under the hood.

Was it dark?

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.