SSA Greenville-bound!

Old February 12th 16, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default SSA Greenville-bound!

I made a last-minute decision to attend my first SSA convention and just managed to get my registration in time. I'm hoping to get there in time to catch Burt's session on Wednesday, but might have to drive over from Charlotte if the flights to GSP are full. AirBnB room pending a few blocks from the Hilton.

Now the hard part...deciding which talks to sit in on...and regretting the ones I have to miss. As has been posted here before, I wish they were videoing them and making them available to members.

"There I was..."

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL

Old February 12th 16, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

See you there Paul!
Old February 12th 16, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

...DO BE SURE that you come to Greenville, SOUTH CAROLINA, and not make
a mistake like a very well known soaring pilot who came to visit us some
years back. He got on a plane to Greenville, NORTH Carolina by mistake.

.... after changing planes in Charlotte....
he recognized that he was going the wrong way when he saw out the window
a turnpoint he had visited for many Chester contests...

This very well know pilot just happens to be one of the speakers at
the convention, but he shall remain nameless.

Well, maybe he'll fess up ;-)

See ya, Dave
Old February 12th 16, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Paul,
Thanks for attending. The drive from CLT is 1-1/2 Hrs on I-85S. as long as it isn't rush hour.

Good hotel selections at the intersection of I-85 & Pelham Road in Greenville. Plenty of chain restaurants near those hotels.

If you want a better class of dining experience look at the things to do page on the convention website. Lot of excellent choices there. Eat at least one meal downtown and visit the falls park bridge just off main street.

SF
Old February 16th 16, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SF - I tried to email the SSA Office but they are out and then treid to use the CONTACT on the SSA Convention web site but it does not work and it told me to contact the administrator

I didn't read the fine print to realize the convention center is 7 miles away, my bad - I am bringing my wife, so the distance changes my plans a little - what email address can I send a request to?

Bill Hanson

Old February 16th 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Registration is closed, so you'd have to go to the Registration desk onsite to add someone.

Paul
Old February 16th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Correction - Online registration is closed and the window to phone in a registration ended last week.
Old February 17th 16, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Anyone driving CLT-GSP this morning?
Shot in the dark...you never know until you ask.

Last night, I ended up unexpectedly covering a late flight with a timed-out crew and my travel plans are all mucked up.

I'm hopping a flight to Charlotte at 0500 out of BOS, but the flights to GSP look full until late this afternoon. Rental car rates jumped before I could book a car as a backup plan. I'll bite the bullet if I have to, but it goes against the secret, cheapskate, overpaid airline pilot code. ;-)

Cheers!
Paul A.
Jupiter, Fl
561-889-6181 c

Old February 17th 16, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 1:38:14 AM UTC-8, Paul Agnew wrote:
Anyone driving CLT-GSP this morning?
Shot in the dark...you never know until you ask.

Last night, I ended up unexpectedly covering a late flight with a timed-out crew and my travel plans are all mucked up.

I'm hopping a flight to Charlotte at 0500 out of BOS, but the flights to GSP look full until late this afternoon. Rental car rates jumped before I could book a car as a backup plan. I'll bite the bullet if I have to, but it goes against the secret, cheapskate, overpaid airline pilot code. ;-)

Cheers!
Paul A.
Jupiter, Fl
561-889-6181 c

Paul, it's a convention of glider pilots. No need to mention the skating word, there's a stereotype to maintain!
Jim
Old February 17th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Ha!

Made it thanks to American, after all.

After pulling an all-nighter, I'm grabbing lunch at the Hilton, then napping until the Safety meeting tonight.