2016 SSA convention, So how did we do?

Old February 22nd 16, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2016 SSA convention, So how did we do?

SF, the Spartanburg club did a great job with the convention.

1. The facility, which I will always know as the "Textile Hall", because that was what it was originally called, provided room for everything. I didn't see anybody squeezed in to a space too small. As other folks have said, the exhibition hall, full of unobtanium, was perfect, as were the seminar rooms.

2. The location, immediately adjacent to KGMU, Greenville's Downtown Airport, made getting to the convention via General Aviation, a breeze! It could have been a "car-less" trip, relying only on leg power between the FBO, the convention center, and the Sleep Inn. Yea, we did end up with a car, but for a necessary side trip. Found out later that Uber would have worked just fine for that. Maybe even the bus. I didn't have the time to check out the bus schedules.

Those that flew in to KGMU were rewarded with a really nice banner mounted to the fence at the parking apron side of the FBO. Classy!

(I served as useless baggage on the Mooney flight to Greenville.)

3. Volunteers were EVERYWHERE in the convention hall. Easily spotted with your safety vests.

4. I don't know if any other convention had space to display used gliders for sale or not, but I thought that was a superb idea and I'm happy to see they were included. Again, LOTS OF ROOM in the convention center!

5. One detraction: The convention center is in VERY close proximity to a Krispy Kreme store - one where they make the donuts and provide a big viewing window for you to see the operation. Somehow, I fought off the temptation, which was strong. It was calling me to The Dark Side. I did crack a little and stopped in, BUT ONLY FOR A CUP OF COFFEE. Boy, I do love those donuts!

6. And as others have said, choosing a seminar to attend was problematic with the concurrent sessions. They were all good - how do you select?

Thanks for a job well done!

Ray