2016 SSA convention, So how did we do?

Old February 22nd 16, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2N0)

Default 2016 SSA convention, So how did we do?

Excellent job!

Exhibit hall:
1. Lots of space and a great lay out for the gliders.
2. The RVs were not out of place (and they had some great deals)
3. The exhibitors were spread out enough that you had to go to visit them all to see who was there.
4. I think the exhibit hall would have been worth the $20 daily fee for a non-flying local resident.

Lecture sessions:
1. I took advantage of every opportunity
2. Great job in the diversity of topics. Actually too good because it was difficult choosing which session to attend when there was a conflict.
3. I saw cameras in the back of the rooms, and I think this was from Wings and Wheels (thank you) I hope these videos will make it to their website.
4. Please make sure the presenters Powerpoint presentation (or a pdf version) are posted on the SSA website.
5. A moderator introduction (even though most speakers were well known) would have been good to start the sessions and a better system for letting the speakers know when there time was up could have been better. This would be my only critique.

Location:
1. The Hilton not being co-located to the convention center was not an issue.
2. Hopefully the breakfasts and lunches were fundraising opportunities because they were expensive.
3. The snack bar was great, no one had to leave the convention center.
4. I did not use the shuttle but it seemed to work for others.
5. Great parking at the convention center.

Other:
1. The volunteers, especially at the registration desk were great. Super friendly and helpful!!
2. A live twitter feed or blog would have been good. (I posted more often on my club's Facebook page than the SSA did)
3. Reliving my old airshow days with Bob Carlton around alcohol is a recipe for disaster (that is mature speak for a hell of a good time)

I have only attended the Reno convention before and felt it was an improvement over that event. Great job!