Weigh scales

Old May 24th 05, 12:30 AM
abripl

Default Weigh scales

I sold my mechanical Ruggles weigh scales and now am trying some
digital automotive racing scales that are just a little more expensive.
The scales I found are actually less expensive than normal racing
scales but the real advantage is that they can be sold individually
rather than a set of four. For my purposes I only need two (use
bathroom scale on front wheel) and that brings the price down to about
$500 for two digital scales compared to $310 for the
mechanical Ruggles scale set. I tested the accuracy of the new digital
scales and they seem to be accurate to the nearest pound thats quite
better than Ruggles. You can see the scales at
http://racing.centralcarolinascale.com/low-cost.htm

Another place
http://www.usedscales.com/ws_and_ps_race_car_scale.htm
also sells them, but when they found out I was going to use them for
aircraft, they went bezerk and would not sell them to me but insisted
that I purchase more expensive ones. I tried to explain that I can
possibly calibrate the cheaper ones (just like you calibrate a compass
with a compass correction chart) but they were so caught up in
superlatives and safety slogans they would not listen.

Any two of you can get together and purchase a whole set for about $900
and split it. Thats only about $450 for digital aircraft scale set
(plus one good bathroom scale).

Old May 24th 05, 02:14 AM
Rich S.

"abripl" wrote in message

Any two of you can get together and purchase a whole set for about $900
and split it. Thats only about $450 for digital aircraft scale set
(plus one good bathroom scale).

Or . . . you can find a pal who works for the gummint,
who knows a pal in the motor pool,
and borrow a set of portable truck scales.

Your taxes at work!

Rich S.

Old May 24th 05, 03:36 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"abripl" wrote:

[...]

One caveat on using scales:

Make sure that the hangar doors are closed, so there are no stray
breezes to interfere with the weighing. Stray breezes can cause as much
as 10-15 lb weight errors per scale.

A good test is to weigh the plane, then remove it from the scales and
heck the "zero weight" indication.

Old May 24th 05, 01:33 PM
OtisWinslow

You might try some of the gokart racing suppliers too. They use digital
scale systems for setup.

oups.com...

Old May 24th 05, 03:13 PM
abripl

You might try some of the gokart racing suppliers too. They use
digital
scale systems for setup.

The problem with go cart scales is their capacity limited to 500lb
maximum each and their platforms are smaller/awkward. My main wheels
are about 700lbs each.
Unless you are talkin only ultralights.

Glider weighing scales C AnthMin Soaring 0 July 12th 04 06:53 AM
Glider weighing scales. Terence Beasley Soaring 2 July 7th 04 04:14 AM
Dutch Roll SelwayKid Piloting 31 June 19th 04 11:43 PM
Aircraft Scales Kyle Boatright Home Built 6 June 19th 04 07:59 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: GeoTIFF chunks of conUS in several scales Kyler Laird General Aviation 0 January 4th 04 05:12 PM