Parts from general sources.

Old September 8th 05, 07:36 PM
abripl

Default Parts from general sources.

In some instances I have had refusal to sell me parts from general
vendors if I tell them it was for aircraft use. One refused to sell me
a 1000lb digital weigh scale and another mfg refused to sell me a
suspension spring. They don't understand the difference between
certified and experimental aircraft. Now I simply tell them it is for a
home garage built off-road vehicle (really off-road).

Old September 8th 05, 07:47 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
In some instances I have had refusal to sell me parts from general
vendors if I tell them it was for aircraft use. One refused to sell me
a 1000lb digital weigh scale and another mfg refused to sell me a
suspension spring. They don't understand the difference between
certified and experimental aircraft. Now I simply tell them it is for a
home garage built off-road vehicle (really off-road).

DO the places you purchase items from regularly ask you what you are using
them for? I can say that I have never once in 43 years been asked for what I
was going to use something I purchased. The only exception to this is the
occasional .50 cal round of ammo and strange items I have bought from
friends.

In the first case I said fun and profit and in the other I told them.

Old September 9th 05, 02:14 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:47:19 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet
wrote:

"abripl" wrote in message
roups.com...
In some instances I have had refusal to sell me parts from general
vendors if I tell them it was for aircraft use. One refused to sell me
a 1000lb digital weigh scale and another mfg refused to sell me a
suspension spring. They don't understand the difference between
certified and experimental aircraft. Now I simply tell them it is for a
home garage built off-road vehicle (really off-road).

DO the places you purchase items from regularly ask you what you are using
them for?

I get asked that on occasion. Back in July, when I was buying aluminum for the
in-panel mount for my ICOM handheld, I got asked if my purchase was for an
aircraft. There's a lot more danger if you have a sample part...either the
hardware guy will look at it quizzically and ask, "Where is that from," or
experienced counter guys will recognize it. The latter happened when I took one
of my Goodyear brake pads to the local brake reliner to pick up some raw
material to make my own pads, and when I took my Continental's generator to the
local electrical shop.

Ron Wanttaja

Old September 9th 05, 02:36 AM
Steve Foley

I was troubleshooting an electrical problem with my 1966 Cherokee, and
wanted to try the voltage regulator. I figured I could pick up an automotive
one for testing, and buy a PMAd one if that turned out to fix it.

The manual speaks of a "Chrysler Style" regulator, so I drove over to NAPA
and said I needed a voltage regulator for a 1966 Chrysler. The store manager
walks down the aisle, pulls one out and says "look like this?" I replied,
"No, smaller". The next one was a perfect match. I paid hum $35 and went on
my merry way. Turns out the probmes WAS the regulator, so I called for a
Piper one. They wanted $350 for it. I ended up buying a Zeftronics for $100.

So a few days later, the NAPA manager is working on his Warrior and says
"Did that regulator work out?" I said "Yup - that was the problem. I just
ordered a Zeftronics". He took the NAPA one out of my toolbox, returned it,
and came back with $35.00.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:47:19 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"

wr.giacona@coxDOTnet
wrote:

roups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 02:37 AM
John Ammeter

Don't you buy your parts from the National Aviation Parts
Association???? AKA "NAPA"??

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:47:19 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet
wrote:

groups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 03:34 AM
John Ousterhout

One time I needed a bunch of fittings for the fuel line on the VW engine
in the Nieuport 11 I was building. I drove over to the National Aviation
Parts Association store and showed the guy what I needed.

"What's this on?" he asked"

Thinking quickly, I answered "An off-road vehicle."

"Nice try", he replied, "but wearing your EAA hat is a real giveaway."

- J.O.-

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:47:19 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wr.giacona@coxDOTnet
wrote:

oups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 03:58 AM
John Ammeter

I always knew you were a slow learner....

Repeat after me six times... I WILL take off my EAA hat before entering
the NAPA store...

John

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:47:19 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wr.giacona@coxDOTnet
wrote:

oups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 04:12 AM
Fly

You don't want to lie?
Tell them its for a wind generator...

Kent Felkins

Old September 9th 05, 04:44 AM
abripl

You don't want to lie?
Tell them its for a wind generator...

Off road vehicle is correct - really off road.

Old September 9th 05, 05:49 AM
Ron Wanttaja

John Ammeter wrote:
Don't you buy your parts from the National Aviation Parts
Association???? AKA "NAPA"??

I actually tried that first, for the brake pads. I figured I'd buy a set of
disk brake pads that had enough area and were the right thickness as the
Goodyears needed. The guy at NAPA looked at me weird, when I asked to look at a
selection of pads, but did ask what it was for.

The best weird look I got was at Lowes Aerospace a couple of years back. My Fly
Baby's fuel tank filler sticks up through the turtledeck forward of the cockpit.
There was a stepped grommet that fit exactly around the neck that not only
trimmed up the hole in the turtledeck metal but kept spilled fuel from entering
the cockpit area through the hole.

Anyway, the grommet was bad and I was looking all over for a replacement. I
finally found it. IIRC, it was called something like a "Spud Grommet." It is
used on toilets.

I don't think the Lowes' guy was that worried I was installing it on an
airplane, but he did look odd when I asked what other colors it came in....

Ron Wanttaja