Reading the whiskey compass

Old February 26th 04, 12:51 PM
Teacherjh

If your answer was a timed turn, then you are guilty of
suiting the procedure to the situation, which doesn't pay off too well in an
emergency.

Isn't that the whole point - to suit the procedure to the situation?

Jose

Old February 26th 04, 02:40 PM
Michael

"Dan Luke" wrote
I really have no clue why anyone would
tolerate a whiskey compass in an IFR airplane.

In my case, it's because I know of two occasions where VCC installations
failed. In each instance the hysteresis error of the compass sometimes
exceeded 10 degrees and none of the fixes proposed by the mfr. helped.

Ouch. Was the compass on a rigid or flex mount? I've seen some of
them stick when they were hard-mounted into the panel or put on a
rigid mount, but I've yet to see one stick when it was on a rubber
flex mount. Of course the rubber part has to be replaced every few
years, but this is about $2.

Michael
Old February 26th 04, 02:46 PM
Barry

I guess I have a different opinion. I have no trouble using the
compass even in light turbulence. Moderate turbulence is a different
matter. Perhaps this is because the airplanes at my FBO have bad DGs
that need to be reset every 5 minutes, and we just got used to reading
the compass in bumpy air. Regarding timed turns, they will only get
you to the approximate heading. For example, even if you are only 5%
off from a standard rate turn (which is hard to tell on the TC), you
will be about 10 degrees off after a 180-turn. In order to fine tune
that heading, one needs to know about compass errors. I've seen
students zig zag their way along a north heading because they didn't
understand how to compensate for the banking errors.

I fly and teach partial panel using timed turns for a heading change of 60
degrees (20 seconds) or less, and the compass for longer turns. In both
cases, but especially with the compass, you can expect to fine tune the
heading with a second timed turn. One big mistake I see with both timed and
compass turns is that the pilot looks at the compass too soon after the turn.
I teach my students that after they begin the roll out, based on either time
or compass lead/lag, they should ignore the compass completely for the next
few seconds. The main priority after roll out is to stabilize the airplane
using the turn coordinator and VSI. After that, check the altimeter, then go
back to the TC and VSI. This allows you to verify that pitch is OK, and also
gives the compass the time it needs to settle down. Students who "zig zag
their way along a north heading" do so not because they fail to compensate for
compass errors, but because they don't give the compass time to settle down
after turning.

One item on the Instrument Rating Practical Test Standards that's often
overlooked is the turn coordinator calibration (Area IV, Task E4). People
who've never done this should try it sometime. You might be surprised at how
far off the instrument can be.

I have one other comment, not directly relevant to the compass question. All
pilots should be careful to use the correct descriptions of turbulence given
in the AIM (para.7-1-23). Moderate turbulence is pretty bad:

"Unsecured objects are dislodged."

In my experience a lot of GA pilots report Moderate turbulence when it's
really just Light ("Unsecured objects are displaced slightly"). I usually
keep my kneeboard loose on my lap, not strapped down. If it doesn't leave my
lap, the turbulence is no worse than Light.

Barry

Old February 26th 04, 05:51 PM
Bob Gardner

Everybody to their own taste, as the lady said when she kissed the cow. In a
real emergency, pilots should not have to sort through a laundry list of
possible procedures to find the one that fits...they should learn a
procedure that works in all situations and train for that. In the instant
case, absent failure of the turn coordinator, timed turns always work.

Bob Gardner

Old February 26th 04, 06:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Michael" wrote:
Ouch. Was the compass on a rigid or flex mount?

IIRC, the club changed compass mounts as one of the attempted fixes, but
I don't know if they went from rigid to flex or vice versa. Apparently
the compass requires *some* vibration to work properly - don't remember
where I read that.

I still would love to have a (working) VCC. I googled up this bit of
troubleshooting experience yesterday:
http://www.avionicswest.com/articles.htm (scroll down a ways)

I'm not giving up. Others besides you (Jay Honeck, for one) have
reported good luck with their VCCs.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 26th 04, 08:23 PM
Judah

It seems to me that timed turns are easier to do, but require more
iterations for accurate results. Wet Compass turns are easier to get more
accurate results, and involve an instrument that one would be using
anyway (for heading performance absent a DG) but require slightly more
attention and concentration.

It also seems to me that there is a situation where timed turns
absolutely do not work - electrical failure. No TC, and possibly no
clock. So the timed turn procedure does not work in all situations as you
so describe.

So, you see, sometimes you MUST manage the situation. And there clearly
is a valid reason to train both techniques. Redundancy is a popular word
among pilots, and I can't imagine anyone being admonished for having it
in a plane - even when it comes to technique and training...

Old February 26th 04, 09:08 PM
David Brooks

My first attempt to fly that approach had me over the coastline, about a
mile to the west. But at least I was parallel with the threshhold.

Then I had to do it again on my checkride, partial panel, picking up a
little ice (normally the PP approach would be the VOR one, but the VOR was
OTS). I dialed in a "that feels about right" for the wind, and held it. I
was *not* peeking; in any case, most of what you can see out of the corner
of the hood is water.

Damned if I didn't end up about 20 feet off the centerline. I don't know how
I did it, especially because I'm sure I didn't look at the compass (which
would have involved peeking). Dumb luck, definitely.

-- David Brooks

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
True story: The Boeing 747 building is east of the approach end of runway

16
at Paine Field. The NDB approach is based on a beacon nine miles away. On

my
ATP checkride, the FAA examiner had me shoot the NDB 16 approach, and I

did
my very damndest....but when I called "missed approach" and he told me to
lift the hood, the Boeing building was to my right...my approach was that
far east of the runway. "Good approach," he said.

As an instructor, when a student shot an NDB with an off-field beacon and
ended up looking right down the runway, I assumed that he or she had

cheated
somewhere along the way. Too many variables for an NDB approach to be
perfect.

Bob Gardner

Old February 26th 04, 11:16 PM
Andrew Sarangan

"Barry" wrote in message ...

One item on the Instrument Rating Practical Test Standards that's often
overlooked is the turn coordinator calibration (Area IV, Task E4). People
who've never done this should try it sometime. You might be surprised at how
far off the instrument can be.

Very true. I have seen TC that were indicating standard rate when it
took a lot longer than 1 min to complete a 180 turn. In another case,
I've seen a TC that did not move beyond standard rate. I could be at
2x standard rate but still showing 1x standard rate on the TC.
Old February 27th 04, 05:41 AM
Teacherjh

I don't get it. You'd use the same procedure for a fire in the cockpit as you
would for a gear malfunction? There are no procedures that work "in all
situations", even limiting ourselves to PP work. (which P of the P?) In any
case, your saying "...timed turns always work" goes against what I was
complaining about (using a timed turn is suiting the procedure...)

What am I missing?

(and yes, in this case I'm top-posting.)

Jose

=========

Old February 27th 04, 11:45 PM
Bob Gardner

The FARs and AIM do not address multiple failures such as you posit...vacuum
pump failure plus electrical failure. No procedure can be written for a Part
91 piston pilot that will always work under those conditions, and no
examiner would expect an applicant to have a solution at hand.

In an emergency (and loss of vacuum instruments IS an emergency), accuracy
is secondary...aircraft control is primary. Who cares if you are five
degrees off of the heading the controller gave you...after you have said the
E word, anything goes.

I remember reading about a pilot and his daughter plunging to earth solely
because they had lost their vacuum instruments and couldn't fly without them
(and there is the Carnahan case of recent memory).

Don't worry about dead-on accuracy, bank as little as possible (in your
scenario you have no bank instruments, of course), and pray a lot.

Bob Gardner