Final Glide - Ray Temchus

Old September 28th 17, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

Default Final Glide - Ray Temchus

I just got the sad news that Ray Temchus, former President of Freedom's Wings International, has passed away.

Ray was the first quadriplegic Commercial license glider pilot in the USA, and the first CFIG.

He generously brought his glider, a G 103 with hand controls, to my club in Canada to demonstrate his program to such a success that we received a grant from the government-funded Ontario Trillium Foundation to start what I believe 9is now the most successful such program in the world operating at several gliding clubs across Canada.

In recent years, Ray flew his beloved Grob out of Tampa Bay Soaring, continuing to offer Inspiration Flights to anyone with a handicap, and flight instruction for paraplegic student pilots.

He is a loss to our community. He embodied charity.

Charles
Old September 29th 17, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 2:48:51 PM UTC-7, Charlie Papa wrote:
I just got the sad news that Ray Temchus, former President of Freedom's Wings International, has passed away.

Ray was the first quadriplegic Commercial license glider pilot in the USA, and the first CFIG.

He generously brought his glider, a G 103 with hand controls, to my club in Canada to demonstrate his program to such a success that we received a grant from the government-funded Ontario Trillium Foundation to start what I believe 9is now the most successful such program in the world operating at several gliding clubs across Canada.

In recent years, Ray flew his beloved Grob out of Tampa Bay Soaring, continuing to offer Inspiration Flights to anyone with a handicap, and flight instruction for paraplegic student pilots.

He is a loss to our community. He embodied charity.

Charles

Sad to hear that. Ray was an amazing character, an inspiration to many.
Jim

Old September 29th 17, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 2:48:51 PM UTC-7, Charlie Papa wrote:
I just got the sad news that Ray Temchus, former President of Freedom's Wings International, has passed away.

Ray was the first quadriplegic Commercial license glider pilot in the USA, and the first CFIG.

Paraplegic, not quad.
A wonderful man, who shared his love for soaring with everyone he met.

I was graced with a visit by Ray to our field long ago. Another pilot friend who had known Ray in NJ hosted him for a trip to the desert. Ray was one of many who used soaring as a motivation to return to an active and full life. Full of friends,full of flying and full of generosity.
Spread your wings forever, Ray.

CB

Old September 29th 17, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Thursday, 28 September 2017 14:48:51 UTC-7, Charlie Papa wrote:
I just got the sad news that Ray Temchus, former President of Freedom's Wings International, has passed away.

Ray was the first quadriplegic Commercial license glider pilot in the USA, and the first CFIG.

He generously brought his glider, a G 103 with hand controls, to my club in Canada to demonstrate his program to such a success that we received a grant from the government-funded Ontario Trillium Foundation to start what I believe 9is now the most successful such program in the world operating at several gliding clubs across Canada.

In recent years, Ray flew his beloved Grob out of Tampa Bay Soaring, continuing to offer Inspiration Flights to anyone with a handicap, and flight instruction for paraplegic student pilots.

He is a loss to our community. He embodied charity.

Charles

Ray described himself as a high-functioning quad, Cindy. He had some use of his arms and hands, but not full use. His right hand had a weak grasp, but enough t hold the stick. His left hand was stronger.

I first met him when I took a friend who had lost the use of her legs to MS down to fly with FWI on one of their outreach missions to Buffalo. I was so impressed! Marie flew while I talked with Ray on the ground. When I told him that Canada too should have a Freedom's Wings program, and asked him if he would consider bringing his glider and his team to my club the next season to demo0 the program. He didn't even hesitate, but simply asked when and for how long. Remarkable when you consider how some groan at the idea of a simple retrieve of a 103.

I have visited Ray in Tampa Zephyr Hills FL every year and flown with him, shared post flight beers and conversation. He was immensely pleased with the progress of our Canadian initiative.

I am so grateful to have been his friend.
Old October 2nd 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry to hear this. I first met Ray flying during the winter of 2005-06 at Tampa Bay Soaring Society. He was very active in getting disabled Vets up for rides with Freedom's Wings. He will surely be missed.
-Chris
Old December 5th 17, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:48:51 PM UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:
I just got the sad news that Ray Temchus, former President of Freedom's Wings International, has passed away.

He is a loss to our community. He embodied charity.

Charles

I am very sorry to hear of this. I had always been fascinated with aviation since childhood and wanted to be a pilot. After my C6/7 SCI in 1990 (age 20), I figured it was over. It wasn't until 1996 that I finally tried flying w/ FWI. I did a few flights, but got serious when Ray uttered from behind while somewhere above 5,000 feet, "Look, I'm not blowin' smoke up your ass.... you're good at this, and you should keep coming out here to fly!" For the next two summers I came out to Van Sant from Long Island once or twice a week and enjoyed the escape from my chair with every flight. Since then I went on to pursue my BS in Aeronautics, my MS in Education, and my Ed.D. in Educational Administration & Technology where I focused on simulation within collegiate aviation education.

If it were not for Ray's dedication to my flying, along with the other volunteers with FWI, I likely would not have accomplished what I did in aviation. I'm sorry to hear of Ray's passing, but I am blessed to have known him!

Final Glide, Sam Francis Roy B. Soaring 1 August 16th 17 06:35 AM
Final glide ppp1 Soaring 8 January 6th 11 03:21 PM
Final Glide Roy Clark, \B6\ Soaring 1 December 23rd 10 05:45 PM
Final Glide - JD (US) Roy Clark, B6 Soaring 1 September 19th 07 07:17 AM
Final Glide for Don Dorrell JJ Sinclair Soaring 2 December 2nd 03 03:56 PM