Fastening Flexible Solar Panels to a trailer-what adhesive to use ?

Old June 10th 19, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fastening Flexible Solar Panels to a trailer-what adhesive to use ?

Looking to add solar charging to my trailer by using flexible solar panels.
Would rather not drill through the Aluminum top.
Any experience with adhesives to use ?
Dan
Old June 11th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TravisBrown73[_2_]

There are no adhesives that I know of that would be road-reliable (read, "Not going to kill someone by having a panel blow off at freeway speed")for any amount of time. You would be opening yourself up to a lot of liability there. I wouldn't even try it.
Old June 11th 19, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Morwood

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 1:08:59 AM UTC+10, wrote:
Looking to add solar charging to my trailer by using flexible solar panels.
Would rather not drill through the Aluminum top.
Any experience with adhesives to use ?
Dan

Here are a couple of different approaches used for RV's and caravans:
https://www.solar4rvs.com.au/solar-i...dhesive-tapes/
https://www.batterybusiness.com.au/b...e-solar-panels
Old June 11th 19, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 5:31:54 PM UTC-6, TravisBrown73 wrote:
There are no adhesives that I know of that would be road-reliable (read, "Not going to kill someone by having a panel blow off at freeway speed")for any amount of time. You would be opening yourself up to a lot of liability there. I wouldn't even try it.

Don't think a trailer mounted solar panel is going to "kill" anyone if it blows off, even at freeway speeds. Think of something like a 18" by 18" piece of corrugated cardboard. It's not like a piece of foam breaking off the Shuttle external tank and hitting at 545 mph (877 kmh).
Old June 11th 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Plus, I can highly recommend 3M VHB tape. I know of several trailer manufacturers that bond entire sheets of aluminum siding to the internal frame using nothing but VHB tape. You cannot separate (peel) a 1"x1" sample piece bonded to two pieces of Mylar using all your strength. Try it. Tough stuff!
Old June 11th 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

VHB will work.

I installed four 100 watt panels on my motorhome using polyurethane caulk to mount 1-1/2" aluminum angle on the short dimension. Panels are bolted to that so there is no roof penetration. That was 13 years ago and they are still solid.

Used the same method for mounting a panel on my Cobra aluminum top. Note this is a rigid, glass glazed panel which would be exposed to far more stress than a flexible panel. The mount is quite permanent, so I prefer not to mount the panel directly in case it needs to be replaced at some point.

Old June 11th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bumper,
On the Cobra trailer, what did you do with the wires coming out of the panel ?
Dan

Old June 11th 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 7:31:54 PM UTC-4, TravisBrown73 wrote:
There are no adhesives that I know of that would be road-reliable (read, "Not going to kill someone by having a panel blow off at freeway speed")for any amount of time. You would be opening yourself up to a lot of liability there. I wouldn't even try it.

Spaceships and aircraft yes. Trailer at highway speeds, no?? :-)

There's a whole world of adhesives out there that don't come from Home Depot...

https://www.masterbond.com/industrie...space-industry

Above is tongue-in-cheek. As others have said, 3M VHB is widely available and has peel strengths way in excess of any mechanical or aerodynamic load you could put on the panels.

P3