Iran's torpedo

Old April 8th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Iran's torpedo

No kidding?? that used to be verboten!

sorry to be spouting bad gouge.

v/r Gordon

Old April 8th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Gordon" wrote in message
oups.com...
No kidding?? that used to be verboten!

sorry to be spouting bad gouge.

v/r Gordon

they have operated in the gulf and the red sea since 1990 at least for
operations against Iraq.

Old April 8th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
"FatKat" wrote in message
ps.com...

John C wrote:
Can Iran potentially put a nuclear weapon on the tip of that torpedo
and
take out one of our carriers?

Lots of ifs.

This brings up the issue of Iranian submarines. Do they have any? How
many? Where are they based and are they operational or just some hulks
rusting away in dry dock?

Anyone know the answer to these questions?

Iran purchased several Kilo class submarines from Russia. They may also have
others, Iran has been very cosy with the PRC lately for example and they
have a largish submarine program.
They're AFAIK not based in the Arabian Gulf itself but on the shores of the
Indian Ocean to patrol the approaches to the Gulf which offer somewhat
deeper (and thus more submarine friendly) water.

Old April 8th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:
No kidding?? that used to be verboten!

sorry to be spouting bad gouge.

v/r Gordon

Gordon,
The US has been operating carriers in the Persian Gulf for some years
now. It annoys the hell out of the Iranians. They are always sending
MPAs out to try and identify carriers and their escorts. Their ship
recognition is crap. Their intelligence guys must have nightmares
trying to collate all the crap vis reports that both the IRGC and the
IRIAF send back to base? Their MPAs are forever getting warned off on
freq.

TJ

Old April 8th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:
No kidding?? that used to be verboten!

sorry to be spouting bad gouge.

To be honest, I don't know that you are. I know several people have
responded in support of what I said (the second time); unfortunitly you
knew what I meant, that carriers were in the Red Sea.

Looking quickly, I can find note that Enterprise was in the Red Sea in
2003 & 2004, Kennedy in 2004, Eisenhower in 2000, Carl Vension in 2005,
the Washingon in 2004, Truman in 2004 & 2005.
That's according to
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/where.htm

Not as a heavy a commitment as I though, but still in and out.

Old April 9th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:
|| No kidding?? that used to be verboten!
|| sorry to be spouting bad gouge.
|| v/r Gordon

Wasn't the Constellation in the Gulf region back at the beginning of 2003?
I seem to recall an article where Rumsfield wanted to add 2-4 more carriers
in that region at the time. Given their size I doubt they would position
themselves in an area too close to the mainland, right? I saw the
Enterprise once, and I was just flabbergasted at the size - totally awesome.
I wanted to find someone to see about going aboard, or find a way of getting
aboard, but my husband (now my ex-, but still on friendly terms), a Marine,
steered me away from it. lol. All I wanted was to step aboard it, so I
could say I've been aboard the Enterprise. It wasn't like I was going to go
in search of Kirk or Spock. Geez....

Old April 9th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"TJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Gordon wrote:
No kidding?? that used to be verboten!

sorry to be spouting bad gouge.

v/r Gordon

Gordon,
The US has been operating carriers in the Persian Gulf for some years
now. It annoys the hell out of the Iranians. They are always sending
MPAs out to try and identify carriers and their escorts. Their ship
recognition is crap. Their intelligence guys must have nightmares
trying to collate all the crap vis reports that both the IRGC and the
IRIAF send back to base? Their MPAs are forever getting warned off on
freq.

TJ

My ship, the TR (CVN-71), was in the gulf from october 2005-march 2006. We
cruised just off the iranian coast while bombing iraq for almost a month
just to **** them off. They kept sending out boats to intercept us claiming
we were violating their territory but they stopped after we started firing
warning shots. they didn't find 5 .50 cals shooting at them very appealing.

Jason

Old April 10th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Don't know about the Iranians, but THAT brings up the issue of US
attack boats. Carrier groups never go anywhere without one or two SSNs
screening the group, so there's the big stick in your counter-sub
operations already. Shkval has been a known quantity in the Russian
arsenal for a while, and one would presume that the USN sub force has
been at least working on, if not deploying, a counterforce option
already.

Old April 10th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Jeb Hoge wrote:
Shkval has been a known quantity in the Russian arsenal for a while, and one would
presume that the USN sub force has been at least working on, if not deploying, a
counterforce option already.

I would presumne no such thing. My guess is that we've been hedging
our bet on Shkval's nascent technology.