Your opinions, please!

Old December 13th 03, 01:59 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
1. Should I include "anonymous" posters? I have received
pictures from several folks who do not wish to use their real
names, have their "N" numbers visible, or have their home
bases publicized.

I think regular posters' "handles" would be fine. After all, this is a
gallery of usenet folks.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 13th 03, 03:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dashi wrote:

Do you know anyone that has been murdered?

I did. I knew three murderers, too.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 13th 03, 03:40 PM
Jay Honeck

WAKE UP!!!! Don't be an idiot.

Holy ****! You've convinced me!

Pretty impressive -- especially the part about Mary's maiden name. (NO ONE
can spell her last name correctly -- and you got it! :-)

Don't post it here (of course) but I'd be really curious to know how you
obtained our SS numbers?

(And, BTW, I DO know someone who was killed by a drunk driver.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 13th 03, 03:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"WAKE UP!!!" wrote:

..... bunches of info ....

Do you do this sort of research for a living? If so, please contact me by email.
Nothing nefarious, I would simply like to find out if a particular person is
still alive.

Old December 13th 03, 04:04 PM
Cy Galley

My original SS card had printed on the face... Not to be used for
identication. How Ironic as the IRS requires a SS#.

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message
Jay;
If you belong to your local Better Business Bureau, you get the weekly
e-communications. I'm not sure this business only group would be on
such high alert if it weren't actually happening. Very few businesses
are on this bandwagon to make a profit, so although none of your
1,298,066 friends have been victimized, it's still real. Yes, I have
personally heard from one of my customers that she was/is involved in
this. Too much work trying to prove "That's not me!". And to think
of all the owner maintenance I've signed off in the logs over the
years is scary! I changed all my license numbers and strongly suggest
everyone do the same. NEVER give out your SSN to anyone who shouldn't
have it, PERIOD! There is actually a federal law on the books stating
that SSN's are not to be used for record keeping.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:43:53 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We all know the problem with our pilot license numbers. The
name and address of a pilot, his SS number and the exact N-number,
serial number, and address of his airplane, a very valuable tangible
asset, might make easy picking for an identity thief. Am I being
overly cautious, yes.

You know, I hear this ALL THE TIME -- yet, I've never met a single person
who has actually suffered from "identity theft".

As you all know, I use my real name, my real address, my real email

address
(well, mostly), and the real name of my business -- thus far, with

minimal
hassle. Am I being stupid? Dunno -- but I simply can't bring myself to

hide
behind a phony name.

I *really* enjoy the new Visa commercials, with the guy's voice-over on

the
little old lady -- they're hilarious and really get the point across

about
the risks of identity theft. However, they *are* trying to sell a

product,
and (as a result) the cynic in me rises to the fore. I just have to

wonder
if this whole "identity theft" thing isn't a product of Madison Avenue,

once
again trying to fan the flames of our own paranoia, in an effort to sell

us
something?

Does anyone know a real person who has suffered this fate?

Old December 13th 03, 04:20 PM
Jay Honeck

Do you do this sort of research for a living? If so, please contact me by
email.
Nothing nefarious, I would simply like to find out if a particular person

is
still alive.

Actually, that's a great idea, George!

Me too! I've been trying to track down a childhood friend for 20 years now,
to no avail.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 13th 03, 04:31 PM
Montblack

("G.R. Patterson III" wrote)
Do you know anyone that has been murdered?

I did. I knew three murderers, too.

Margene and I do not "personally" know anyone who has been murdered.

However, we did each grow up with someone (read: extended family) who was
convicted of murder.

Other than that, we're good people :-)

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Old December 13th 03, 06:46 PM
PhyrePhox

Hello Jay,

Paul the Lurker here I think we talked about wiring up your hotel for
wireless internet access once.
Anyway, the speed right now is ok over the cable modem connection I've got
now but you are going to
run into problems pretty quick.

The two big things you can do to increase the speed of this one page is
get rid of the tables. The more tables
the browser has to render the slower things go and you have tables for
everything. Use div and spans.
The speed increase will be real big. The other thing would be to get rid of
all the script tags in each table header.
You only need it once for the whole page and really you don't need it at all
anymore. It's good to have for people
using Netscape 4.0 but anything newer doesn't need it.

Since you are using frontpage you might not be able to change some
things. Also since the ceilings are 500' 3sm vis
in rain and I've now got nothing to do.... I'll take your source code and
change it around a bit and send it to you to take
a look at.

Paul Davis

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Our new rec.aviation "Rogue's Gallery" of pictures.

Since our new website is obviously becoming more popular with you folks
every day, I need some advice on how to proceed:

1. Should I include "anonymous" posters? I have received pictures from
several folks who do not wish to use their real names, have their "N"
numbers visible, or have their home bases publicized. To me this seems
bizarre, since the whole point of "showing off" your plane is to "show
off" -- and how can you do *that* anonymously? Still, I've posted a
couple of them, but I'm not sure of how to proceed. It's YOUR page --

what
do you folks think?

2. The page is slowing waaaay down. I really like the format of the page,
but as it grows it's getting really slow to open. How's it running for

you?
Too slow? Okay, yet? How slow is too slow?

3. Should I include email addresses? I've not included them, thus far --
but I thought it might be valuable to have an email "directory" of
participants?

Thanks for your help!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 13th 03, 06:49 PM
R. Hubbell

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:47:59 GMT "Jay Honeck" wrote:

[...]

A nice thing to do. I think to show your support for rec.aviation.* you should
also provide the rec.aviation.* FAQ. That would balance it out and provide a
great source of information for all pilots.

R. Hubbell

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Stop the noise airads Aerobatics 131 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Opinions on ICAS membership? Wright1902Glider Aerobatics 0 January 3rd 04 03:31 PM
Rand Robinson KR-2 opinions... Ralph Snart Home Built 9 November 15th 03 11:31 PM
Opinions? Chris Aerobatics 2 November 2nd 03 09:42 PM
Opinions on Azusa aluminum wheels/brakes/axles? RTW Home Built 2 July 17th 03 04:19 PM