What it's all about

Old April 5th 05, 12:58 PM
Jay Honeck

I'll bet there's lots of little facts like that, that you never would have
learned without owning a hotel, and which you probably wish you hadn't
learned.

Basic Hotel Rule #1: Indoor plumbing should never have been invented.

Well, if we could somehow eliminate gravity it would be okay, I suppose.
When you have 15 hot tub suites, many on the second and third floors, well,
let's just say I've got a good relationship with my drywaller.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 5th 05, 02:43 PM
Jose

Indoor plumbing should never have been invented.
Well, if we could somehow eliminate gravity it would be okay

Thank you for the image of using a commode without the assistance of
gravity.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 5th 05, 05:52 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Basic Hotel Rule #1: Indoor plumbing should never have been invented.

Well, if we could somehow eliminate gravity it would be okay, I suppose.
When you have 15 hot tub suites, many on the second and third floors, well,
let's just say I've got a good relationship with my drywaller.

I spend a fair amount of my time these days trying to find and fix the origin of
second-floor leaks. I have come to the conclusion that the only solution would
be to install a water-proof membrane between floors. Sort of like an internal
roof with, of course, suitable drainage.

In the meantime, I make a fair amount of money replacing ceiling tiles, drywall,
and carpet.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.
Old April 6th 05, 04:34 AM
Grumman-581

"George Patterson" wrote in message news:Hnz4e.5979$7b.5284@trndny01...
I spend a fair amount of my time these days trying to find and fix the

origin of
second-floor leaks. I have come to the conclusion that the only solution

would
be to install a water-proof membrane between floors. Sort of like an

internal
roof with, of course, suitable drainage.

First floor -- covered parking... Second floor -- occupied rooms... Plumbing
exposed in the covered parking room so that you can see where the leaks are
coming from (and not park your car in that spot)...

Old April 6th 05, 01:02 PM
Jay Honeck

First floor -- covered parking... Second floor -- occupied rooms...
Plumbing
exposed in the covered parking room so that you can see where the leaks
are
coming from (and not park your car in that spot)...

Great idea, until you factor in the increased liability insurance due to
fire and carbon-monoxide hazards.

And, of course, the fact that I'd have to completely re-build two
three-story buildings, losing over 1/3 of our suites in the process...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 6th 05, 05:55 PM
George Patterson

Grumman-581 wrote:

First floor -- covered parking... Second floor -- occupied rooms... Plumbing
exposed in the covered parking room so that you can see where the leaks are
coming from (and not park your car in that spot)...

Then you have to heat the parking garage. Not a viable solution here, and Iowa
is worse.

Old April 7th 05, 04:05 AM
Grumman-581

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:%cQ4e.4498$df3.4052@attbi_s21...
Great idea, until you factor in the increased liability insurance due to
fire and carbon-monoxide hazards.

Concrete floors and pilars -- fireproof... Open walls instead of a closed
area -- no carbon monoxide hazard... This type of thing is done on the Gulf
Coast all the time as a way to keep the living quarters above the storm
surge during huricanes...

And, of course, the fact that I'd have to completely re-build two
three-story buildings, losing over 1/3 of our suites in the process...

Oh well... You can keep it in mind when you see one of those F5s heading
towards your hotel... grin

Old April 7th 05, 04:07 AM
Grumman-581

"George Patterson" wrote in message news:wwU4e.253$ha3.51@trndny02...
Then you have to heat the parking garage. Not a viable solution here, and

Iowa
is worse.

Why? They don't have heated parking as it exists now...

Old April 7th 05, 05:27 AM
Dave Stadt

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"George Patterson" wrote in message news:wwU4e.253$ha3.51@trndny02...
Then you have to heat the parking garage. Not a viable solution here,

and
Iowa
is worse.

Why? They don't have heated parking as it exists now...

Because the suggestion was to leave the plumbing exposed. Exposed plumbing
in Iowa freezes in the winter.

Old April 7th 05, 05:00 PM
Klein

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:42:59 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

I think customers is a much better description of the people who stay at
your Inn. I know that I would be highly insulted if it were assumed I
would pay for my accomidations if I was a "Guest" of the owners. A
customer is certainly expected to behave as are any other person. You may
call them by any term you choose, but that does not change the underlying
relationship.

It's all semantics, of course, but "guest" better implies the relationship
that we have with our "customers."

That is true for a hotel/motel, however, I still think of guest as being
someone who is staying free of charge. I realize the official legal
definition of guest includes both paying and nonpaying.

What do you call someone who is a passenger in your plane that shares
expenses with you? A guest, I think, and from Jay's description of
how his enterprise is going, the share-expense model may be closer to
the truth than hotelier/customer. ;-)

Klein