Cessna BRS

Old April 14th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith[_2_]

Default Cessna BRS

In article ,
"Maxwell" wrote:

I vote it will be an option, but not included.

I would concur with that.

An issue is the additional weight of the BRS to an already weight l
imited aircraft.

Granted, the weight limit is an artificial one. The weight limit
none-the-less dictates the design.
Old April 14th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel

Skyman1957 wrote:
Q: Will the new Cessna LSA have a factory installed ballistic recovery
parachute option? Yes or No.

Let me know your gut feeling. I want to see if group intelligence
theory works. Thanks in advance!

Skyman1957

My gut feeling is that Cessna will install ballistic parachutes when
motorcycles start coming equipped with seat belts.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.
Old April 15th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
James Sleeman

On Apr 14, 12:52 pm, (Drew Dalgleish)
wrote:
My gut feeling is that cessna won't ever market an LSA.

I'd wager with you that you are wrong. There is a LOT of money in
LSA, and it's money that will not go into thier existiing aircraft if
they did not go through with LSA production. Cessna would be total
fools to not go through with the plans for the planes.

Old April 15th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

ups.com...
wrote:
My gut feeling is that cessna won't ever market an LSA.

I'd wager with you that you are wrong. There is a LOT of money in
LSA, and it's money that will not go into thier existiing aircraft if
they did not go through with LSA production. Cessna would be total
fools to not go through with the plans for the planes.

Cessna is also a long time proponent of having a "family" of airplanes, so
that a new pilot can begin with an entry level aircraft and then move up an
finances and experience justify. Since LSA is currently touted, mainly by
FAA, as a "stepping stone" rating, I agree with you that Cessna will almost
certainly produce an LSA.

Peter

Old April 16th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Phil

Don,t know if Cessna will offer a BRS for the LSA model , they should sell
millions of them at only $ 100,000 a piece , one can get a nice Aeronca or T
Craft for $ 25,000 , these new planes are tauted as the every-man,s plane ,
most of the croud that I hang with won't be able to afford a 1/10 of a
million dollar plane.
Middlefield Phil
oups.com...

Old April 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

john smith wrote:
In article ,
"Maxwell" wrote:

I vote it will be an option, but not included.

I would concur with that.

An issue is the additional weight of the BRS to an already weight l
imited aircraft.

Granted, the weight limit is an artificial one. The weight limit
none-the-less dictates the design.

I agree. The weight will kill it. What suprises me is that the FAA didn't
grant a wiaver for BRS weight in LSA as they did in for ultralights with
floats.

Old April 17th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:
john smith wrote:
An issue is the additional weight of the BRS to an already weight l
imited aircraft.

Granted, the weight limit is an artificial one. The weight limit
none-the-less dictates the design.

I agree. The weight will kill it.

What exactly is the weight penalty for a BRS? For an LSA my understanding
is that total system weight was in the ~29 to ~35 lb range. (Or put another
way, around 5 to 6 gallons of fuel.)

Price penalty would probably in the ~US$4100 to 4500 range.

Both BRS Parachutes and Magnum Parachutes seem to offer comparable products
in price and system weights:

http://www.brsparachutes.com/ViewDoc...?DocumentID=84
http://www.magnumparachutes.com/products.htm
Old April 17th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

john smith wrote:
An issue is the additional weight of the BRS to an already weight l
imited aircraft.

Granted, the weight limit is an artificial one. The weight limit
none-the-less dictates the design.

I agree. The weight will kill it.

What exactly is the weight penalty for a BRS? For an LSA my
understanding is that total system weight was in the ~29 to ~35 lb
range. (Or put another way, around 5 to 6 gallons of fuel.)

Price penalty would probably in the ~US$4100 to 4500 range.

Both BRS Parachutes and Magnum Parachutes seem to offer comparable
products in price and system weights:

http://www.brsparachutes.com/ViewDoc...?DocumentID=84
http://www.magnumparachutes.com/products.htm

That weight is the only the BRS itself and not what would have to be done to
the airframe itself to add the system and while it doesn't seem like a lot
it is about 10% of the useful load of an LSA and it is weight that is much
further back than the fuel tanks so it will count for more in virtually any
LSA installation.

Don't forget to add to the price that it will have to repacked every 6
years. While I don't know what they charge I'd bet it ain't cheap.

Plus I never really liked the idea of having an explosive device right
behind my head. And yes, I not particularly thrilled about having one in
front of me aimed at my chest in my car either, but a lot more of those have
been built and I figure most of the bugs have been worked out.

Old April 17th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote

That weight is the only the BRS itself and not what would have to be done
to the airframe itself to add the system and while it doesn't seem like a
lot it is about 10% of the useful load of an LSA

130+ pounds? No way!
--
Jim in NC

Old April 17th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"Skyman1957" wrote in message
oups.com...
Q: Will the new Cessna LSA have a factory installed ballistic recovery
parachute option? Yes or No.

Let me know your gut feeling. I want to see if group intelligence
theory works. Thanks in advance!

Skyman1957

As standard equipment, No.
As an option, Yes.

Al G

Cessna 337 Capt. Mike Piloting 17 December 6th 06 03:33 PM
CESSNA LSA john smith Owning 11 August 9th 06 07:46 PM
cessna 180 [email protected] Owning 2 August 7th 06 09:45 PM
WTB: Cessna 172/182 Alexis Yushin Aviation Marketplace 1 April 24th 05 03:31 PM
WTB Cessna 402 POH ecktoeman Aviation Marketplace 1 September 17th 03 04:54 AM