Something wrong here, Top Gun greatest movie for EAA?

Old May 6th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bugs66

Default Something wrong here, Top Gun greatest movie for EAA?

http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070503_movie.html

Something is very wrong when the cheesy movie Top Gun wins over 12
O'clock High, Waldo Pepper, and Spirit of St. Louis. It shouldn't
even be on the list among the other great movies. I think the vote
was rigged!

In my opinion Top Gun is one of the dumbest aviation movies I have
ever seen. I remember seeing it in the theater when it opened, I was
only 17. I had just earned my pilots license and even then I thought
the movie was dumb. The only reason I went to see it was the late
great Art Scholl was killed making it and I wanted to pay my
respect.

For you guys who voted for Top Gun, maybe you should spend a rainy
afternoon watching the classics and you might learn something.

End of rant.

Old May 6th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Bugs66 wrote:
http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070503_movie.html

Something is very wrong when the cheesy movie Top Gun wins over 12
O'clock High, Waldo Pepper, and Spirit of St. Louis. It shouldn't
even be on the list among the other great movies. I think the vote
was rigged!

In my opinion Top Gun is one of the dumbest aviation movies I have
ever seen. I remember seeing it in the theater when it opened, I was
only 17. I had just earned my pilots license and even then I thought
the movie was dumb. The only reason I went to see it was the late
great Art Scholl was killed making it and I wanted to pay my
respect.

For you guys who voted for Top Gun, maybe you should spend a rainy
afternoon watching the classics and you might learn something.

End of rant.

I agree with you 98%--all the above plus Hells Angels-(Gary Cooper-?)

Of course Top Gun rated right up there with Keep 'em Flying-(Abbot &
Costello) & Hot Shots -(Martin Sheen)

I Guess not enough people watched PBS with "Piece of Cake" English
-London Blitz & lots of Spitfires----Plus the really catchy tune--
The Bells of Hell go "ding a ling a ling" for you,but not for me---
For Me the Angels Sing a ling a ling, they've got the goods for me.
Oh Death where is thy sting a ling a ling, Oh Grave thy Victory--the
bells of Hell go ding a ling a ling, for You but not for Me!

I'm not sure about "goods" in the 3rd line---anybody know for sure??
Old May 6th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:40:05 GMT, Jerry Wass wrote:

I Guess not enough people watched PBS with "Piece of Cake" English
-London Blitz & lots of Spitfires----Plus the really catchy tune--
The Bells of Hell go "ding a ling a ling" for you,but not for me---
For Me the Angels Sing a ling a ling, they've got the goods for me.
Oh Death where is thy sting a ling a ling, Oh Grave thy Victory--the
bells of Hell go ding a ling a ling, for You but not for Me!

I'm not sure about "goods" in the 3rd line---anybody know for sure??

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiBEL...tBELLHELL.html

That song wasn't in "Piece of Cake," it was in another RAF TV series aired here
in the US..."A Perfect Hero."

http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/jtap...ames;read=9780

The "Piece of Cake" theme was orchestral.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 6th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"Bugs66" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070503_movie.html

Something is very wrong when the cheesy movie Top Gun wins over 12
O'clock High, Waldo Pepper, and Spirit of St. Louis. It shouldn't
even be on the list among the other great movies. I think the vote
was rigged!

In my opinion Top Gun is one of the dumbest aviation movies I have
ever seen. I remember seeing it in the theater when it opened, I was
only 17. I had just earned my pilots license and even then I thought
the movie was dumb. The only reason I went to see it was the late
great Art Scholl was killed making it and I wanted to pay my
respect.

For you guys who voted for Top Gun, maybe you should spend a rainy
afternoon watching the classics and you might learn something.

End of rant.

I agree with your sentiment, but Top Gun did something none of the other
aviation movies have done in my lifetime (42 years, at last count). It put
together a plot with a decent storyline, good music, outstanding visuals, a
romantic relationship, and an outstanding cast.

Waldo Pepper had a good storyline, excellent actors, and great visuals, but
lacked the relationship angle after Mary Beth had her untimely demise, and
didn't have a soundtrack with "legs".

Always had the visuals, the actors, the romance, and a storyline, but it was
nowhere near as timely as Top Gun, and lacked a popular soundtrack.

Battle of Britain had the visuals tied around a true story. It even had a
great cast. Unfortunately, the cast was underutilized and none of the
characters or relationships were even mildly interesting. The soundtrack
was great, but certainly didn't translate to popular culture.

All four movies I listed are watchable, but one - Top Gun sacrificed
accuracy to capitalize at the box office. And the strategy worked.

One great thing about all 4 movies is that they used real aircraft. I fear
that we'll never see another aviation epic filmed with live aircraft. CGI
seems to have taken over for the most part.

KB

Old May 7th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:40:05 GMT, Jerry Wass wrote:

I Guess not enough people watched PBS with "Piece of Cake" English
-London Blitz & lots of Spitfires----Plus the really catchy tune--
The Bells of Hell go "ding a ling a ling" for you,but not for me---
For Me the Angels Sing a ling a ling, they've got the goods for me.
Oh Death where is thy sting a ling a ling, Oh Grave thy Victory--the
bells of Hell go ding a ling a ling, for You but not for Me!

I'm not sure about "goods" in the 3rd line---anybody know for sure??

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiBEL...tBELLHELL.html

That song wasn't in "Piece of Cake," it was in another RAF TV series aired here
in the US..."A Perfect Hero."

http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/jtap...ames;read=9780

The "Piece of Cake" theme was orchestral.

Ron Wanttaja

What ever happened to "Cloud Dancer"?

Haven't seen that one in years!

Richard
Old May 7th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Bugs66" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070503_movie.html

Something is very wrong when the cheesy movie Top Gun wins over 12
O'clock High, Waldo Pepper, and Spirit of St. Louis. It shouldn't
even be on the list among the other great movies. I think the vote
was rigged!

In my opinion Top Gun is one of the dumbest aviation movies I have
ever seen. I remember seeing it in the theater when it opened, I was
only 17. I had just earned my pilots license and even then I thought
the movie was dumb. The only reason I went to see it was the late
great Art Scholl was killed making it and I wanted to pay my
respect.

For you guys who voted for Top Gun, maybe you should spend a rainy
afternoon watching the classics and you might learn something.

End of rant.

Yeah, I suggested Waldo Pepper, but Spirit of St. Louis was an awfully good
one as well. It would be a tough choice for me.

Top Gun just did well because it played well to non-pilots, was much better
and more broadly promoted (including a very good sound track), and was
produced at a later time. I think you actually have to be involved with
aviation to really appreciate movies as real as Waldo and Spirit.

Old May 7th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-05-06 10:50:02 -0700, Bugs66 said:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070503_movie.html

Something is very wrong when the cheesy movie Top Gun wins over 12
O'clock High, Waldo Pepper, and Spirit of St. Louis. It shouldn't
even be on the list among the other great movies. I think the vote
was rigged!

In my opinion Top Gun is one of the dumbest aviation movies I have
ever seen. I remember seeing it in the theater when it opened, I was
only 17. I had just earned my pilots license and even then I thought
the movie was dumb. The only reason I went to see it was the late
great Art Scholl was killed making it and I wanted to pay my
respect.

For you guys who voted for Top Gun, maybe you should spend a rainy
afternoon watching the classics and you might learn something.

End of rant.

Top Gun. Isn't that the movie about a brittle Navy pilot who screws up
and gets his best friend killed, goes bonkers, sleeps with the
psychiatrist who is supposed to be evaluating him, single-handedly
becomes an ace in only one dogfight, then displays his anti-authority
attitude by buzzing his commander?

"You can be my wing man anytime." "No, you can be MY wing man."

Great dialog. Makes my list as one of the worst aviation movies of all time.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 7th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Isakson

"cavelamb himself" wrote in ...

What ever happened to "Cloud Dancer"?

Haven't seen that one in years!

Was that the movie with the two sailplanes sort of competing against each
other and only had three spoken words in the whole movie? That movie did
the best job of capturing the spirit of aviation of any aviation movie I've
ever seen.

Rich

Old May 7th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bugs66

I had forgotten about Always, which was in my opinion a very good
aviation movie. Still, not the all time best as EAA was seeking with
their survey. It just surprises me that supposedly EAA members (or
mostly) voted Top Gun as the best. Seems rather odd.

You guys brought up some other movies I haven't seen yet. Will have to
check them out!

Old May 7th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ric[_2_]

"Maxwell" wrote in message

Top Gun just did well because it played well to non-pilots, was much
better and more broadly promoted (including a very good sound track), and
was produced at a later time. I think you actually have to be involved
with aviation to really appreciate movies as real as Waldo and Spirit.

For me, the above hits the nail right on the head....

Ric