? for the NG-Flag shoulder patches

Old November 26th 04, 02:47 AM
Thomas Schoene

Jake Donovan wrote:
[snip]

There has been no mandate or authorization for a reverse flag. (Stars
facing backwards) If an Area Commander has given approval for such,
he is in violation of uniform regulations.

The original question was why are the flags reversed -- that is, with the
stars to the front, or right side, instead of the usual left side. Under
the regs you cited, the right-shoulder flag is specifically allowed, and is
required to be worn so that the canton (the field of stars) is to the
observer's right, which puts it at the front of the shoulder. That's
"backwards" to the normal left-shoulder version.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old November 26th 04, 04:04 AM
Jake Donovan

Tom,

That is correct and clarifies a few others questions, but I was also
commenting on the comment made about the "retreat" statement.

Jake

( I ate too much today)

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
k.net...

Old November 26th 04, 03:46 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 11/25/04 10:05 PM, in article jYxpd.3712$wa1.3178@lakeread04, "Jake
Donovan" wrote:

Woody,

I thought it sucked when the mandate came down only one patch per shoulder.
The pen cover looked so nice with a TG patch.

:-)

Jake

Double-edged sword. I like the flight suit standardization that allows me
to wear the bag into town for lunch without fear of reprisal--although that
was a more recent mandate than the one you're talking about.

I was too junior to be affected by the one unit patch per shoulder rule.

--Woody

Old November 26th 04, 03:54 PM
Pechs1

JJ writes- The "reverse" flag is the "moving forward" emblem,
authorized/mandated in
the current theater to be "thrusting toward the enemy" in combat rather than
the technically "correct" display which implies moving away from the fray.
BRBR

Got it and thanks. Knew it had to have a reason behind it. I didn't think some
O-3 in the Pentagon got it wrong,
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 26th 04, 03:59 PM
Pechs1

Got it Capt and thanks. In all the squadrons I have been in (10 or so) none had
the 'standard' be an American flag on either shoulder, hence my ignorance.
Some guys wore this (but they were on the left and 'proper', but most put the
A/C on the left, Nothing on the right. Some had 1000 hr patches instead, but
again, on the left.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 26th 04, 08:20 PM
F9pnthr

ISTR seeing the American flag on the left shoulder on some uniforms as well.
Blue field was always forward.
On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army, but it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Old November 28th 04, 12:02 AM
Red Rider

Having enough patches on your jacket and suit, to look like a walking
billboard on old route 66, was better than a promotion. Any old salt Naval
Aviator, knew the importance that looking good had on your legend
ooops....... I........errrr....cough, cough....... yeah....... reputation.

Red

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message
Woody,

I thought it sucked when the mandate came down only one patch per

shoulder.
The pen cover looked so nice with a TG patch.

:-)

Jake

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 11/25/04 1:19 PM, in article
, "Rich"

wrote:

(Pechs1) wrote in message
On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army,
but it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Insight?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Blue field facing forward.

Rich

Or in the case of Navy pilots, just accumulate enough experience so that
you
can cover one shoulder with a 1,000 hrs patch (or x,000 hrs as
appropriate)
and the other with a unit patch or TOPGUN patch if applicable. No flag
required.

--Woody

Old November 28th 04, 03:45 AM
Jake Donovan

Red,

Oh how true.... LOL You know you've earned your "stripe" when this is less
green on your Nomenx Jacket than patches. :-)

Jake

m...

Old November 29th 04, 02:23 PM
Pechs1

Jake- Oh how true.... LOL You know you've earned your "stripe" when this is
less
green on your Nomenx Jacket than patches. :-) BRBR

Nomex??!!

How about the old nylon one? What true 'old farts' had/have-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)